Everyone that is hunting in Wyoming.....................

SMOKESTICK

If you are coming to Wyoming this year to hunt or simply if you want to help Wyoming manage predators I would encourage you to purchase the $10.00 predator management stamp. It can be purchased anywhere they sale hunting/fishing licenses. I hev looked at several years of comments from Sportsmen stating that the WY G&F doesn't do enough about predators in Wyoming. Too many Sportsmen don't know about the predator stamp nor what it is desinged to do. In the mid-1990's the Predator Management Board was create to coordinate predator management efforts statewide. Each county in Wyoming has a predator management board that handles predator issues. Recently, the ADMB has studied effects of targeting specific predators to benefit pronghorn and sage grouse. Mose research is needed in several areas. Moose herdds in Wyoming continue to decline. These declines are being balmed on drought conditions; however, with proper research we can demonstrate that with the introduction of yet another protected predator into a system that is already crowded seems more suspect. We need to document the impacts of predators as well as effective means of controlling them. Often times I have heard G&F personnel state that predator management is a waste of time and resources. Fortunately, in Wyoming the Department of Agriculture has management authority over predators. Sportsmen need to contribute to predator management by purchasing a stamp. Arizona has shown some interesting new findings from some of their recent research projects. Some feel as though research isn't the answer but there is a lot of information that is assumed to be true and some information which is totally lacking. Wildlife management has never been an exact science; therefore, a lot of management practices are done because they have been the best available practices. Research does need to have practical application though. Please consider contributing to predator management in Wyoming by purchasing a predator management stamp.

Thanks for the info Smokey, I will be buying one. Hopefully it (proceeds) will help in the management of wolves there. I would sure like to see the same thing in Utah. It costs the states and feds huge amounts of revenue to control predators at a time when ranchers are having a difficult time paying their way. I wish I could do more. I hope to shoot a few coyotes when I'm there also. I only shot one last trip there. Thanks again, Steve

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom