Evidence of Sex question - nonres

JoeATCA

I will be hunting deer & elk unit 23 this fall and cannot bring head/spine back home for chronic wasting regs. The terrain is rugged where I will be hunting and I plan on boning out the meat with multiple backpack/sled trips. Any suggestions on how to leave the genitals attached to portion of hind quarter so Idaho F&G are satisfied?

The regs say "naturally attached to carcass or portion thereof", how large a portion does it have to be? Anyone ever stop at a F&G checkpoint and get cited for not complying? If so, why?

Thanks for responses-Joe

When you bone out the rear legs leave the skin that holds the nuts attached to the meat. We have never had a problem but I'm sure others will have some good ideas also!

LAST EDITED ON Sep-08-13 AT 06:16AM (MST)[p]Actually it is very easy to leave just a section of the "shank" attached to the rear quarter on any buck/bull. I don't prefer to leave any hair on or near the meat. I will try and note which bag that piece went into so F&G can find it faster.

Have you boned an animal in the field? If not, there are quite a few video's on u-tube. I can't imagine hauling out more than just the meat anymore unless an animal falls where you can load it right into a vehicle. I even bone elk when I am using horses because I can use just one horse for packs not over a few miles.

I once was told, "just leave your rubber gloves" in a separate bag, or with the gut pile. That should be plenty..lol

LAST EDITED ON Oct-04-13 AT 08:45AM (MST)[p]>+1. I attach the tag to
>the bag that has the
>evidence in it.
>
>DZ

This might be splitting hairs, but I believe the regs state that you must attach the tag to the largest portion of meat, so I'm not sure attaching it to the bag is correct. Most CO's would unlikely ticket you for this, but why give them any reason is my thought.

For me the hind Q bag is the biggest. So I meet all the requirements. I have been checked many times and never had any issues.

DZ

LAST EDITED ON Oct-04-13 AT 12:31PM (MST)[p]"This might be splitting hairs, but I believe the regs state that you must attach the tag to the largest portion of meat, so I'm not sure attaching it to the bag is correct. Most CO's would unlikely ticket you for this, but why give them any reason is my thought."

For me, the bag with the junk is the largest, by about a pound or two depending on his studliness, so the tag goes on the meat in the bag so it cannot break away on the outside...I'v seen it happen, and it makes for a long day of back tracking.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom