Expensive Gun or Scope ?

completesportsman

Long Time Member
If you are on a budget, Which one should you put more of you budget money into?

I don't think it would be good to put a $500 scope on a $2000 rifle or vise versa?

Should you try to spend equal on each?

Get what you want. Looks, reputation, relative performance, weight, purpose, balance, and personal preference all come into play. The market is so full of awesome choices that a person almost can't make a mistake. Weight your money towards a good optic but there's nothing like a good rifle to install confidence. I truly think a person can put together a rifle for less than $700 and an optic for less than $300 that will serve for a lifetime of "full on" enjoyment.

I suppose that i'm on a budget, i like to go on lots of hunts and they're getting more costly every year plus, being self employed, the time away has it's costs as well. This year i hunted with a stainless Model 70 in 270 WSM that i bought from a shootest friend after he had run about a thousand rounds threw it. He claimed consistent 1/2" groups with his reloads, killed a good bull Elk and a muley buck with it. He had just bought a Ed Brown in 300 Weatherby and was a bit tight on dough so offered me the WSM all set up with dies, reloads, brass, and a Signature Burris 3X12 for a deal price of $600.

The gun turned out to be everything he claimed it was, i took a nice buck with it this year at 528 yds with a good amount of certainty. As much as i like the gun and this set-up, i'm not sure that i would pay full price to get another; $700 gun, $450 scope $60 Mounts and rings, $100 tax = $1300.+

So, in answer to your question, spend equal or about on each. If you got the dough, go for it but there is good equipment out there for reasonable prices that will work just fine. Shop, look, listen, before you buy, Don't get caught up in the hype.

Joey

I would spend the extra money on a scope. IMO, you can get a great rifle at a decent price.

$500 can get you a good Nikon, Leupold, or Burris. Of course they are not quite as good as the Swarovski and Zeiss, but I sure can't tell much of a difference.

I shoot a 300 WSM Browning A-Bolt Medalion, and put a Nikon 4X12 scope on it. I probably have about $1500 into it. I use it for elk, bear, deer, antelope... I see no reason why I would need anything else.

I guess I'm drinkin my bath water! I shoot a Savage model 110 .30-06 my dad bought me when I turned 14 (17 years ago). It was a package gun with the Bushnell Sportview scope, etc. Anyway, I have always been going to replace it, but it has always shot just so dang good. I ended up putting a synthetic stock on it, and then a Leupold VX-III. The scope cost a couple of hundred dollars more than the gun did. Seems a little unorthodox, but I love the gun and it has killed it's share of critters.

No question about it, the money should go towards the scope,rings, and mount. There are a lot of cheap rifles that shoot well, but their potential will never be realized with some of the cheap optics that are out there.

Optics man.... Growing up in Florida I thought those cheap Tasco's were all you needed....Good Base and rings and glass, your rifle is useless otherwise

Your rifle is only as good as the optics that sit on top of it.

My vote....descent rifle, premium scope :)

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

I have a $400 muzzleloader with a $1600 nightforce sitting on top of it. There are lots of accurate guns out there but only a handful of decent scopes that can handle me. I don't respect guns. They get dropped all the time. Take falls when they're strapped to my back etc. Try as I might i can't seem to keep from beatin the crap outa my scopes and guns. Only the best scopes will do. IMO

4918bc530d0e7097.jpg

I'm in the same boat as Legacy. Savage 110, 30-06, with a VX-III scope. It performs beyond my ability. That being said, I killed alot of animals with a cheap Simmon's scope on it for a few years until I could afford quality glass.

A much wiser man than I once said if you can't see em you can't shoot them. Almost any average brand of rifle is going to shoot a decent group. Spend the money on a good scope.

Thanks for the replies,
So if I want a new long range rig instead of going with a full custom gunsmith gun with a match grade barrel blueprinted etc., sounds like I would be just as well with a factory Remington Sendero or similar type gun with a premium scope.

You asked nothing about a long range outfit???Budget, spend on the gun or scope. That's what you asked.

A long range outfit... i'm starting to wish they were against the law unless you could pass a certification test. Hunters on every rock and all willing and thinking they can shoot at game 1200 yds away.

Sage,
1200yds, where did that number come from? I can promise you I would NEVER take a shot at that distance. I know my limits and I don't exceed them.
Your reply is interesting coming from a guy who once took a 400 yard, running, down hill shot at a deer!
I have never done anything like that even when I was young and dumb :eek:

Completesportsman, a Remington VLS in .308 or a Weatherby Vanguard SUB MOA in .308 will get you there cheaper than a Sendero and you'll have more money to put towards that quality glass.

What, you keep files on Guys? lol

I too know my limits, and stone killed that buck by the way.lol

My question concerns this i pulled from your statement "So if I want a new long range rig instead of going with a full custom gunsmith gun with a match grade barrel blueprinted etc., sounds like I would be just as well with a factory Remington Sendero"

When your opening question was "Gun or scope, If you are on a budget, Which one should you put more of you budget money into?"

To me those are two different questions... and my statement of getting to not like these "long range rigs" applies to guys w/guns who plan on 800-1500yd shots and beyond that, that they can just buy and go hunting without paying their dues. Yes there are some guys out there that do put in the range time and know their equipment like the back of their hand. OK, i don't have a problem with them or that. But i'm seeing more and more who buy and hunt "long range rigs" without the skills, That's what i mean!

Joey

Well,

I'm not one of those guys and I probably took your reply the wrong way when I read it, sorry about that :)

I just want another rifle to hunt elk with. The one I have is a 7mm RUM and I have shot very impressive groups with it. Its a great set up and plenty capable but good is never good enough is it?!

I had my own ideas of what I thought was more important I was just wondering what others thought.

"plenty capable but good is never good enough is it?!"

At's a tough call. To me, it's all about priorities. I'm probably not going to be shopping for another gun or scope soon as i have 4 rigs all set up, ready to rock, "and" there are all the other outdoor interests that help to deplete the expendable portion of my hard earned funds. I can certainly understand if a guy wants to upgrade though, especially when he has the dough.

I could possibly find room for one, maybe two more guns in the safe though...lol

Joey

Just posted this on another thread:

Another vote for the Tikka T3. Didn?t care for their glass stocks so bought a Laminated Stainless in 300 WSM. Put a 4.5x14 Leupold on it and it will shoot one inch groups at 200 yards with my hand loads. Have taken numerous animals with it including a 10 animal kill fest in South Africa. The rifle is light weight for those long walks and has a great trigger.

Added for this thread:
Don't think you need to spend $2,000+ to get a good set up. I have a $3,000 set up and I always go back to the light weight Tikka with the Leupold. It shoots every bit as good. My wholesale cost was around $1,100 for the rig about 3 years ago. Todays retail cost should be around $1,500-$1,600. Also put Millet 30mm rings on it. Didn't care for the Tikka rings.

Always believed if a person has a gun that will group, the smart money is spent on ammo and practice.

Good luck on your choice.

Sage;

Save that money for a Pedersoli 1874 Sharps in 45/70 cal. Will make you keep those scoped rifles in the safe for a while longer and put some challege into your hunting again.

RELH

RELH, You just had to go and bring that up? lol

I been looking. Saw one on gunbroker that was a 45-110, Quigley model w/scope. Pretty son of a gun!! Maybe too pretty.

Question RELH, can 45-70's be safely shot in 45-90's and 45-110's?

Joey

OPTICS OPTICS OPTICS!

You can get a great scope for a decent price - starting around $250 - I wouldn't consider anything less than that (Leupold VXII standard reticle). But the more you spend on quality optics the better off you will be. If I had $2500 to spend - I would get the best optics I could for the price range and use what was left over to get a new rifle!

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom