Experts Please!

greatwestern

Very Active Member
OK! at the risk of being quite totally redundant (though i have searched, and searched, and searched!), I would inquire about anyone's educated and practical comparison between the following 10x binocular models:

Leica Ultravid HD 10x42

Zeiss Victory FL 10x42

Minox APO HG 10x43

I still haven't had a chance to look through these exact models in comparison

there are a couple deals out there floating around, but before jumping the gun for any special pricing, i would like to find any 'objective' input, based on DIRECT experience, irrespective of pricing

Thank you very much!

Adam

Well no expert for sure but i'm kinda in the same boat.I was at Cabelas the other day and looked through the Zeiss and leica's you mentioned along with the swaro EL and SLC'S all in 10X42.I did not look through the Minox.

I thought they where all very equal in qaulity but gave the Zeiss a slight edge.I had planned on getting one of the Swaro's but after returning i saw the special Camaraland had on the Zeiss and considering i felt they had a slight edge even before i knew about the special it is a no brainer.I will be ordering the Zeiss tomorrow.

shoot man, based off of my opinions of 'comparable' models from Zeiss and Leica i would agree with you 100%...and them greens are looking very tempting indeed

just haven't had a chance to look through that particular Minox...ah hell, could it really remain a sleeper among the others?

i don't know....anyone?

and sorry everyone for the cheesy headline about the 'experts'...i just don't really need random, speculative 'advice', just experienced opinions regarding these glasses

Thanks!

To my eyes, the Leica Ultravid HD is the best, without question. I rated the regular Leica Ultravid slightly above the Zeiss FLs, and the HDs are in a class by themselves.

The Zeiss are very good, but not that good.

Of course, to each his own, some people prefer the Zeiss or Swaros.

The Minox cost about ? as much, and are 95% as good, making them the best deal.

Before you spend that much on binoculars, I suggest you compare them all, side by side.

thanks for the input Anaconda...and very true about the side by side comparison, but it's a bit of an logistical challenge for me to get all of them things out in the field for an outright shootout... :)

in my experience, Leica MIGHT have a slight optical edge over Zeiss, but their glass has always seemed a bit 'fragile' to me, whereas Zeiss construction in general is pretty bombproof

again, not much experience with the Minox

GW.....

You are n 'expert' too, damn straight!! The big Z in the green is great glass....buy it & if you don't like, C-land will take it back. You won't be sending it back, though. Here is my take, look through a lot of different ones & buy what your eyes like. Throw out the brands. I am getting old, some glass is more forgiving than others for me ragarding strain on the eyes. Sometimes not the biggest name works best, either. Me & ol' Trav are kind of particular to those damn Docters for some reason. As for 10x's....I have a hard tme getting away from Razors lately & I have more expensive glass on the shelf. All about what ain't straining my eyes these days & you never see me post to try to push one product over another.

Good luck!!

D

Zeiss by a large margin optically-the Leica is lacking in brightness and is not quite as sharp-the minox is close but not in the same league.

The leica I would say has the best build quality.

You should be trying to decide between these three as they are the best avaliable at this time.

Swarovski EL Swarovision-if you are not sensitive to the rolling ball effect produced by the field flattners in this bino.

Swarovski SLC HD

Zeiss victory FL

I have the SLC HD and it is amazingly good....... great ergos, phenomenal glass, build quality, etc is second to none. That being said, with the killer deal CL has on the green FL's I'd jump all over that deal if I were buying today.

Well OK, i cut the dogs loose... one of them greens is on its way!

figure now i should be able to actually SEE something out there in the wooly wilds :)

seriously, thank you all for the input, much appreciated!

Cheers'

Adam

Green for me too;

Leicas.jpg

Oilcan, good choice on the green zeiss and that is a good price you won't be dissapointed, I've never regretted buying mine.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom