Expo Thoughts

huntinguy

So I decided that this was the year to put in for the Hunt Expo draws. I drove up today and validated my choices. Went inside and walked around for a bit. Saw some pretty great mounts of deer, elk, moose, sheep, etc. Left the show with three thoughts 1) it's really cool to talk with people that share the same passion as me 2) I really hope to harvest some of the same caliber of animals that I viewed 3) lastly the show leaves something to be desired. Cant quite put my finger on it but it seems like there should be more to it. Am I not seeing something or missing something? This is supposedly the mecca of all hungting shows in the west but it seems like aside from Mossback's and a few others displays, that there are a lot of booths on African hunts and not much else. Wish there was some interactive booths or tutorial areas.

What do you all think? Any other ideas or viewpoints from those of you who went to the show.

Btw...if you dont support SFW and/or the 200 tag draw allocations I dont care...!

I also visited the show on Thursday. It wasn't very packed at all, and was actually nice to walk around and not get ran over. Most of the hunting booths are the same, just different places. I didn't see as many new products or anything that jumped out at me. Other than the "Nice Racks" Both Mounts and walk by ladies. It may be hard for vendors to go to both shows, the hunting expo and the International Sportsmens Expo coming up in March. Booths arent cheap. They can run anywhere from 2,000 to 5,000 I would imagine some vendors can't swing both expos. I do feel that having a booth that invites you into it so you can know the products better is more interactive and meaningful, than just a booth you pass by, because its lacking uniqueness.

Expos are always a good time for me. A lot of the same eye candy, but still fun. I would like to see a little more interactive or 'how-to' stuff at this expo. But I understand they can't set up a range and have people popping off shots as well.

As for the draws, the odds aren't great. But you have zero chance if you don't put in. Who knows, you might get lucky!

Haven't been in a couple years... Make that 5 years... As I don't have money to book hunts with Outfitters, and the odds are so long on any of the draws they have... It's just not worth the $10 or whatever it is now to get in... Plus the drive.

Honestly, if I were richer, I think it'd be cool to shop around for different hunts and guides I guess. It'd also be fun to put in for tags with enough entries to have a decent shot.

For $125 you can buy 25 entries for a Book Cliffs Rifle deer tag and (according to last year's numbers) have the same chance at the tag as you would in the regular draw (outside of bonus tags). About 1 in 30

For $90 you can buy 18 entries for a Pahvant Rifle Elk (Early) tag and have the same odds as the general draw (outside of bonus tags). About 1 in 253

I appreciate that the odds are posted, and frankly I don't think they deter anyone from putting in. We love lotteries. I amy slip down there this evening and drop a few bucks for a Deer tag somewhere... So long as the wife doesn't know... :)

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

Here's my 'Expo Thoughts'
Just give me one of those tags I applied for yesterday,
And, I'll be a happy camper,Wink ;-)

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

i dont think its right to have to drive over a 100 miles each way to put in for public tags, just to make slc money, they belong to all of us, move the expo to other parts of the state' see how many slc boys would buy gas rooms food ect in our towns,,,,

>i dont think its right to
>have to drive over a
>100 miles each way to
>put in for public tags,
>just to make slc money,
>they belong to all of
>us, move the expo to
>other parts of the state'
>see how many slc boys
>would buy gas rooms food
>ect in our towns,,,,

Agreed, but not many other towns in Utah have the facilities to support that type of event.

Cutbow

I stopped supporting the expo when I kept seeing SFW guys and their family members drawing tags. I've seen a few guides draw multiple tags in the expo too. I think something is a little fishy with how they do the "random" draw.

My guess is that John Bair must be the luckiest b@st@rd in the world to draw a sheep tag at the expo :)

I spent a few hours there today. I enjoyed it. Gotta see the new Swarovski and Vortex scopes. Hint: The new Razors are really nice, but the Swarovski ATX is mind-blowing (for an extra $3,000).

I got to try on some new KUIU stuff, which you can't do anywhere else. I also picked up a cool bow attachment that I didn't know about.

>I spent a few hours there
>today. I enjoyed it.
> Gotta see the new
>Swarovski and Vortex scopes. Hint:
>The new Razors are really
>nice, but the Swarovski ATX
>is mind-blowing (for an extra
>$3,000).
>
>I got to try on some
>new KUIU stuff, which you
>can't do anywhere else.
>I also picked up a
>cool bow attachment that I
>didn't know about.

I'm curious about the bow attachment....can you provide more detail?

Cutbow

It was busy today, packed at about 6:00 when I was there. All the usual big names were cruaing around....

That was the first Expo I've ever attended. Saw some great taxidermy work. Liked the DNR poaching booth. Saw the Solo Hunter TV guys. That was cool. Talk about a contrast though! Solo Hunters in their booth....and Mossback on the end.

I'm from Ca.(sorry to say) but I've been to all of them from the start. Always have a good time, see alot of old friends, meet some new ones and always learn a few things. Went to the Wolf hunting seminar which was really great. Can't afford the outfitted hunts but it's great to dream! Haven't drawn a tag from the show yet but I'm still hoping, maybe this year!

Here's my take on the expo:

Booths nearly same as last years>

I'm only interested in one hunt>

Formula>
6271 applicants / 4 Pauns any weapon hunt X $80.00 trip to SLC =
$125,420.00 cost per permit.

A GUIDED PERMIT LOOKS BETTER ALL OF THE TIME!

I've had a gut full of all the expos. The best part of any of them besides looking at the western big game mounts, is the cinnamon almonds. All that other crap is not my bag. I'd rather take the fuels costs, expo entry fee's, food money and head out to the winter range and try to find big ole Muley to photograph. All that African mumbo jumbo...no thanks. Salmon fishing in AK....eh eh. Any guided hunt...keep it. Win a Toyota...yeah right! What about the tobacco shop, did they have that this year? Freak! What a joke. We're screwed! $3000 binos, $3000 custom rifles, $10,000 high fence hunts in Mexico! $310,000 to hunt a deer in the rut in a State Park! This stuff is outta control! Just my opinion though.

I hope I can sliver a cow elk with my bow this year. They taste really good.

Wrong Sneak!

It's the Cinnamon Cashews!:D

We can Skin a Buck,We can run a Trout Line, and a Country Boy Can Survive!

It's always fun for me.
I love to run into old and new friends. That's the best part for sure....and the nuts are always delicious!
All the hunting stuff is cool and the mounts are out of this world. Lots of great trophies and excellent taxidermy work. (that alone is worth the price of admission)
The motivation flows through me when I see all the cool trophies. I keep telling myself that those caliber animals are out there and I need to get even better at finding them.
It's a head-scratcher when guys say they didn't enjoy the expo. I guess people can find the negative in everything.
Zeke

Its the same b.s. every year. If you dont have at least $5000 to drop on a hunt, its just a place to walk around. I only paid the entrance fee to look at as many mounts as I could to get some ideas and pictures for my mountain goat. The eye candy is usually good, but I can go to the mall for free and see that.

Two weeks ago I paid $10 to go to a play about love and relationships. This week I paid the same to spend about the same amount of time at the Expo. If I had to choose.....(no question).......I enjoyed the time there. I skip the exotics, I really like the mounts and I always run in to friends. I know my chances of drawing are slim, but I will keep going.

The Expo is my mid year hunting boost, and I always look forward to being there. I, like others, love running into old hunting friends that I don't often get to see. This year I ran into an a friend who offered to drive down to Wyoming from Montana with his horses to help my son with a sheep hunt if and when he draws. There is no other place where I could have made that kind of connection.
Like with everything else, you can always find exactly what you are looking for.

I enjoy expos, been going to them for years. I go mainly because I like to see some of the newest gear and there is almost always something there for a great deal. I like to see some great mounts and "racks" and catch a clinic or two.

As far as applying for tags, I look at it like it gives me one more chance to draw a coveted tag, IF I ever get lucky I gaurantee the amount I've spent to draw that tag is less than some of these $5,000 hunts. I don't put in for a ton of hunts but usually throw down a little cash. If I don't draw then no biggy, I look at it like a donation to MDF or whomever and I just write it off on my taxes anyway. That's a win-win in my opinion.

>Like with everything else, you can
>always find exactly what you
>are looking for.

+1 LBH!
That's exactly right.

If a guy want to be a turd and have a poor time, that's what he'll do. Some guys complain that you need a butt-load of money to have fun at the show. *B.S.* My diet coke, almonds and cashews were not that much money!

BUT

If a guy wants to see some cool stuff and get a boost and run into friends new and old, along with making new friends, that's exactly what he'll do!

Zeke

Losing MuleyCrazy was a big loss but I always get a chance to exchange or warantee my gear that failed during the seasons.

Anybody have a math formula to figure the odds of drawing the same tag twice, 3 years apart? Seems odd...But I'll take it.
:)

>Anybody have a math formula to
>figure the odds of drawing
>the same tag twice, 3
>years apart? Seems odd...But
>I'll take it.
>:)

WOW! You won the lottery twice?
Way to go man!
Which tag?

Zeke

Couldn't bring my self to put money in Don's pocket this year. But hey, the kids are excited for the ISE show in a couple weeks!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom