Extended Archery

N

nontyp

Has anyone hade any luck on the extended archery (wasatch front) this year? I went out for the first time this year on sunday saw a few, but could not get a shot.

When does it end? I have heard different things. People say nov. 30th, But my uncle who lives in Riverton Swares that it goes into Dec. He said you have to find it somewhere in the proc. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet.

-Cass
"Vegetarian : And old Indian word for bad Hunter"

Either sex Elk continues until Dec. 15th on the Wastatch front as well.

The other two extended units, West Desert/Oak Creek North and Sanpete Valley go from Nov. 15th to Dec. 31st for elk. I'm not sure for deer.

Cheers,
Pete

So is anyone hunting this area (Wasatch Front) for mule deer, and how is it going?

GOOD THING WE HAD TO TAKE A STUPID TEST TO TELL US WHERE ALL THE BOUNDARIES ARE. FREAKIN A '' THERE ARE STILL A TON OF MORONS HUNTING THE WRONG SIDE OF CORNER CANYON EVEN ALL THE WAY DOWN TO THE HOUSES IN ALPINE!! IVE GOT A DOZEN OR SO LICENSE PLATES WITH VIDEO EVIDENCE OF HUNTING THAT I AM GETTING READY TO TURN IN. OTHER THAN THAT I THINK MOST OF THE DEER ARE STILL UP HIGH WAITING FOR THE NEXT BIG SNOW TO COME OUT FRONT. WE WENT UP PARLIES LAST WEEKEND NOT TOO MANY DEER BUT A TON OF PEOPLE ALL HUNTING LOW WHEN THEY SHOULD STILL BE HIGH. THIS WEEK WE ARE GOING UP TO A LITTLE HONEY HOLE IN THE COTTONWOODS SO WE WILL SEE.THE ONLY BUCKS I HAVE HEARD OF RAE MOSTLY SMALLER ONES THAT MOVED EARLY -

AP,
I hope you turn that tape is soon. We could really lose this hunt if a few idiots keep screwing it up for the rest of us. If anyone sees bowhunters (and I use that term loosely) breaking the law on the Wasatch then they need to turn them in. I would hate to lose the extended hunt - it is the best opportunity a lot of us have to take a nice buck.

I'm heading out Friday morning - I hope we get a bit more snow by then.

Antlerpinnacle:

Get on the horn right away to the DWR when you see stuff like that. We really need to police our own ranks. I live further north and never hunt down there, but you really need to get on these people.

These idiots are going to cause all of us to loose this hunt. The goofy test was simply to pacify some of the homeowners who complained two years ago. It will only keep them fron crying if we act responsibly on the front in full view of these homeowners.

On a side note, I've seen 3 monster bucks and one 354 bull taken on the front this year. I'm sure there are more. Yeah, it's one of the toughest hunts anywhere, but there are some of the biggest bucks in the state right up there.

Cheers,
Pete

JUST MADE THE CALL! I'LL GETTING THE VIDEO FOOTAGE UP TO THEM IN A DAY OR SO. IT KIND OF SUCKS CUZ SOME OF THEM ARE PEOPLE I KNOW . ON THE OTHER HAND I HAVE WARNED THEM PLENTY.YOU GUYS ARE RIGTH IT IS A VERY AWESOME HUNTING OPORTUNITY AND NEEDS TO BE PATROLLED MORE BY OUR OWN!!MEANING THE LAW ABIDING HUNTERS.

I believe there are archery only anterless hunts on the back side of corner canyon (Utah County side). Just because you see someone where you think they shouldn't be doesn't mean they are breaking the law. Be sure before you waste a CO's time. Have fun on the extended hunt.

THERE ARE NO LATE SEASON ARCHERY HUNTS GOING ON THIS YEAR ON THE ALPINE SIDE!!! THE ONLY HUNT GOING ON IS AN ANTLERLESS ELK HUNT .

Can someone disclaim this? The boundary for the wasatch front extended archery is the county lines between Utah and Salt Lake Counties. If you look on a topo map, you will see that the county line is a bit on the other side of that hill, (corner canyon) I have marked it with the GPS and the line is actually a bit on the Utah county side. Does anyone disagree with this? I am headed up there this next full week and would like some direction as there seems to be so much debate.

It is not the Utah County line from I-15. It is Corner Canyon Road. You have to stay east and north of Corner Canyon Road until it meets with UT County line.

RIVER JACKS--
YOU HAD BETTER GO AND GET A MAP FROM DRAPER CITY ON WHERE YOU CAN HUNT . THERE IS A TON OF NEW PRIVATE LAND AT THE TOP OF CORNER CANYON AND IT IS BEING PATROLLED! NOT TO BE A JERK OR ANYTHING BUT I WATCH IT A TON AND HAVE TURNED IN A FEW GUYS ALREADY AND WILL CONTINUE TO DO SO. EVERYONE WE HAVE TURNED IN HAS RECIEVED A HEFTY FINE AND ALL WE ARE TURNING THEM IN WITH IS A PLATE # AND VEHICLE DESCRIP.A 60 POWER SWAROVSKI WITH A GOOD CAMERA CAN NAIL YA A LONG WAYS AWAY. TOO MANY PEOPLE ARE DOING STUPID THINGS WICH WILL RUIN THIS AWESOME HUNT SO I AM TRYING TO DO MY PART. I KNOW THE EXACT BOUNDARY AS I HAVE TALKED IT OVER WITH DRAPER CITY AND ALPINE CITY MANY TIMES AND I WOULD BE MORE THAN HAPPY TO TELL YOU. EMAIL ME AT [email protected] AND I'LL GET YOU THE INFO.

The southern boundary is corner canyon road!!!!!!!!!!

It's very clear in the proc. Why are we so bullheaded about this? The unit is good sized, but everyone tries to hunt the bottom half-mile. Park and walk guys, it's not that bad.......

ANDYMAN, THE PROC DOES STATE THAT BUT WHAT A LOT OF GUYS ARE MISSING IS JUST BECAUSE THE PROC SAYS SOMETHING DOESN'T MEAN THE CITY HAS TO GO ALONG WITH IT. MOST ALL OF CORNER CANYON IS DRAPER CITY NOW AND IF YOU READ THE BIG A!! SIGN AT THE BOTTOM YOU WILL FIND THATYOU CAN'T EVEN HIKE OR PARK OFF THE SIDE OF THE ROAD DUE TO WILDLIFE RECLAMATION, ALSO THERE IS A HUGE CHUNK OF PRIVATE GROUND BY DEVILS BERGADE ROCK THAT IS NOT LEGAL TO HUNT, SO READ THE PROC YES BUT ALSO CHECK THE LOCAL CITY BOUNDARIES TOO OR YOU COULD FIND YOURSELF IN BIG TROUBLE!

good point AP, I meant that the unit is big enough that you can forget about corner canyon and hunt other areas further north that are acessable only by foot. You are right about city laws, I used to hunt above draper 4 and 5 years ago and we would get pulled over by cops or chased by a helicoptor on the north side of the road up the canyon. I think they weren't even sure where the boundary was. They are probably going to close the whole area to hunting altoghether.
sad sad sad

YA KNOW IF ALL OF US BOWHUNTERS THAT LOVE THE WASATCH OR ANY ARCHERY HUNT FOR THAT MATTER COULD GET TOGETHER AND DISGUSS THINGS LIKE THIS LIKE WE ARE ALL BUDDIES WORKING FOR ONE CAUSE WE MIGHT JUST BE ABLE TO HAVE OUR VOICE HEARD IN THIS CRAZY STATE .

LAST EDITED ON Nov-26-03 AT 06:42PM (MST)[p]ANTLERPINNACLE, you seem to know an aful lot about the extended archery hunt and it's boundries. I have a couple of questions for you, what was your opinion on the up coming changes on the wasatch front extended hunt, and at what RAC meeting did you stand up with us archery hunters and voice your opinion. There are lots of groups of archery hunters already that get together. Alot of us go to the meetings and stand up for archery hunters and voice our opinions to the right people,these people are the RAC board. It is a shame that there were not more of us at RAC meetings to support alot of things like the AR301 and the ML300 that no longer exits as of last week.
On another note, I have been hunting the Willard area above the orchard's I have seen a few deer but I would like a wall hanger. I did the dedicated hunter program and have 1 year to burn. My thoughts are I would go for a trophy this year and if nothing pans out no biggy. Last weekend good luck fellas.

ANTLERPINNACLE, send me a PM or an email. Sounds like we are on the same quest and maybe we could compair notes.

SORRY I DIDN'T GET BACK TO YOU GUYS LAST WEEKEND, I HUNTED MY BRAINS OUT AND DIDN'T EVEN THINK TO CHECK MY MAIL. SAW A TON OF GOOD BUCKS BUT WHEN YOUR HUNTIN WITH A CURVE IT GETS TOUGH. I DON'T SPEND TOO MUCH TIME WITH THE RAC BS. MOST GUYS JUST GO THERE TO WINE AND BASH OTHER GROUPS AND I JUST DON'T THINK THATS HOW YOU GET THINGS DONE. TO ME IT SEEMS LIKE THE WINERS AND SUCH ARE DOING MORE DAMAGE FOR THE BOWHUNTERS THAN GOOD AND THERE IS NOT A GOOD ENOUGH ORGANIZATION FOR THE BOWHUNTERS IN THIS STATE TO HAVE A VOICE. UBA FOR EXAMPLE COULD BE JUST WHAT WE NEED IF THEY TOTALLY CHANGED THE LEADERSHIP GOT SOME NEW BLOOD AND IS WILLING TO DO THINGS RIGHT ! BY DOING THINGS RIGHT I MEAN GET INVOLED WITH THE BOWHUNTERS, GET SOME SPONSER WITH LOTS OF MONEY, GET A GOOD MAGAZINE OR SOME SORT OF LITERATURE WHERE THE BOWHUNTERS HERE IN UTAH COULD SEE READ AND BRAGG ABOUT WHAT THEY HAVE KILLED OR ACCOMPLISHED IN THE SHOOTS. AS OF YET NONE OF THIS HAS BEEN DONE. WHENS THE LAST TIME ANY UBA MEMBERS EVEV GOT A FLYER? WHEN THIS HAPPENS I THINK THE BOWHUNTERS MIGHT START TO BELEIVE AND WANT TO JUMP ON BOARD THEN WE COULD GO ORGANIZED, WITH PLANS IN HAD HAVING DONE OUR RESEARCH, FIRST TO THE DWR AND THEN TO THE RACS WITH OUR PROPOSALS, AND IF ONE OUT OF 5 PROPOSALS GETS LOOKED AT THEN GREAT WE MADE A DIFFERENCE. I COULD RAMBLE ON FOR HOURS ON THIS . FOR NOW I THINK I WILL STICK WITH SFW EVEN THOUGH I DON'T AGREE WITH A LOT OF THINGS THEY DO I BELEIVE THEY ARE DOING GOOD FOR THE ANIMALS AND THATS MORE THAN ANY ONE ELSE IS DOING!!

Cody:

The UBA convention was Sat. I don't believe that you were there to vote for new blood. I don't believe you were there to volunteer for one of the possitions. I don't believe that your idea for raising the money for a glossy magazine style flyer was heard.

Please get involved rather than calling people whiners. You could make a difference, but it takes shelving a bit of your chip and selfishness to get anything done.

There are 5 guys who do all the work of the UBA. No one else will step up to help. No one else volunteered to do a thing. These guys do it all for free. They don't get reimbursed one dime for their time or travel to do it.

If guys like you and I, who think the UBA is not marketing bowhunting properly, would get involved things might go some where. Until that happens, these 5 guys aren't going to be able to do much more than they already are.

Give Clint a call, I'm sure he'd love to have your help on one of the projects that have been planned. The difference that will be made in the end will come from the effort of new people like yourself. If you're not willing to become involved, don't expect much to change.

Cheers,
Pete

Pete sure wish I would have known about the convention
I have a few questions I would like to ask in a one on one
manner, don't get me wrong I appreciate everything the ladies and gentlemen at UBA do and would be the last to criticize them
I just wish I would have known about the convention

P.S. I think I saw your truck on Sunday
what did you see ?? Saturday I had a group of six bulls
I missed by about 5 seconds, these 2 inch legs dont cover ground
very fast

Gordy

The Convention was advertised in the current newsletter which if you dont get you can always print off the website. Sorry you didnt know.

Dianna

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom