Extended warranties on camers - Yes or No??

gdog

So what's the consensus...extended warranties on pricey cameras a smart thing to do? I believe the Nikon warranty is 1 year and I bought my D300 with Amex, which doubles the warranty, so I have 2yrs....

I have seen the extended warranty for available for $99. Need to see if Joel is offering the same.

Thoughts??

i have purchased them in the past and they have paid their way. I have MACK warranties on a few of my lenses and bodies and for the price, I dont think you will get hurt. there are some pricey ones' out there but like I said i've used MACK in the past.

I'd go with Joel if you can, he's a great guy, he's got a great shop and his customer service is second to none. I'd try camealand first and I know joel will work harder than anyone to get you the best deal he can, and at the end of the day, a good shop that has customer service like they have is worth every penny. . .

It can't hurt if you got the extra money burning holes in your pocket. If you use a camera as much as an amateur, I think it makes less sense. I have no doubt Tony uses his warranty...he shoots a ton and he uses Nikon...lol. But seriously, I didn't get one on my current camera but it is a gamble. The question becomes who is the warranty from. A USA warranty from the manufacturer is one thing, but the Mack warranty or 3rd party warranties have their limitations. I have sent in camera gear that I didn't get back for months before. I don't like that kind of down time. Others have had similar experiences with the time delay. Not sure manufacturers are a ton quicker though...

The warranty is just an extension of the factory Nikon warranty. Basically 2yrs for $99 is what I am finding so far.

TF..Joel has taken care of me. There was a mix-up on the CF cards and he is sending the right ones out even before I get the others back to him. I ended up getting some Lexar 300x umda 4 gig cf cards.

Dude, if you can afford to shoot those cards, buy the extra year on the camera.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-28-07 AT 07:52AM (MST)[p]Yeah..just loaded...right..thanks Tony...good stuff there.

I took the Lexar over the Promaster cards.

I did put an extend 2 year nikon service plan on my d300. however, it's a cheap insurance policy for me as EVERY piece of nikon gear I now own - except the d300, and the 200-400 (it's getting ready to go in) has been in the shop. I shoot them almost every day of the week all year so they get used. . .

I expect that in the next three years, the life of my current warranty on the d300, nikon doctors will check it's pulse at least once and likely more. so, for a $170 bucks, that's $85 per year, my d300 is covered for three full years from date of purchase, non transferable.

"Roadless areas, in general, represent some of the best fish and wildlife habitat on public lands. The bad news is that there is nothing positive about a road where fish and wildlife habitat are concerned -- absolutely nothing." (B&C Professor, Jack Ward Thomas, Fair Chase, Fall 2005, p.10).

I'm undecided at this point. The bonus is that I purchased the D300 with my Amex card and they double the manufacturers warranty, so I basically have 2yrs already. I believe Nikon allows you to purchase the extended any time during the first year.

Still learning about all the features on the new camera. It's like a race car compared to my D80 though.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom