External meat pack

deadI

Very Active Member
I have an older style external gram back pack that I want to convert into a meat pack. The problem with it now is the pocket is not big enough for a hind quarter of a deer or elk.

Have any of you guys converted an old pack for hauling meat. Ill post a pic of the pack latter when I am on my computer.

Thanks.

DeadI/Jared
46e8aeb1660028c5.gif

here is the pack I have that I want to modify. The actual pack part is compartmented and will not allow a deer or elk quarter to be placed it in.
4955photo.jpg

7962image.jpeg

DeadI/Jared
46e8aeb1660028c5.gif

I was thinking that. But doesn't the bag the meat (hind quarter.....) is in need to be attached to the pack first.

DeadI/Jared
46e8aeb1660028c5.gif

We used to have some old pack frames like that but instead of a bag they just had a piece of plywood on the back, flat against the frame.

And where yours has a fold out meat shelf, these had about a 4-5 inch shelf made of plywood as well.

They had lots of small holes drilled around the perimeter for tying loads of meat on.

If it were mine, I would get rid of the bag, but keep the shelf. Then go buy some 1" nylon webbing and some buckles and make some lashing straps. Then you could strap just about anything onto it.

That pack looks so uncomfortable, especially with any weight, you might not want to go through the hassle of conversion.

I use my internal frame pack. I just slide the elk or deer quarter right down the tube compartment, tighten the cinch straps and away I go.

deadI...that pack might be ok for very short distances and light weight loads. But just as a friendly suggestion......if you'll be hauling heavier loads for any distance, that pack will cause you no end of discomfort and annoyance. It's missing several elements critical to the usefulness of a meat hauling pack. There's no load leveling system to take weight off your shoulders. There's no vertical adjustment at all for the top attachment points of the shoulder straps. The waist belt is much too narrow and short. And there's no sternum strap to pull the shoulder straps together across your chest. As an alternative you might consider the old stand-by Cabelas Alaskan Frame pack, which have those necessary features, and can purchased brand new for $99.00 for the bare frame.

I was thinking of that pack. But thought that if I had this one already them why not use it.

DeadI/Jared
46e8aeb1660028c5.gif

>I was thinking of that pack.
>But thought that if I
>had this one already them
>why not use it.
>
>DeadI/Jared
>
46e8aeb1660028c5.gif

Because it will kill your shoulders and back. The new packs with adjustable straps, no metal, etc, are worth it. I have a couple older packs like that. The plan is to mount them with a sheep head I have and maybe my antelope from last year. I think that would look cool to do that.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom