F&G and X5B

NECALI

LAST EDITED ON Sep-13-12 AT 04:55PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Sep-13-12 AT 04:55?PM (MST)

I've heard that F&G has offered X5B rifle deer tag holders the option to turn their tags back in for full points. They said that 30% of the zone burned in the Rush fire. For those with a tag like me,let me tell you that alot more than 30% burned of the huntable country. Let's put it into perspective. Mountains from the south to the north: Skeddadle Mts.-burned. Five springs Mts.-burned. Rush Creek Mts.-burned. Cherry Mt.-burned. Blacks Mt.-burned. Shinn Mt.-burned. Spanish Peak Mt.-burned. Observation Peak.-burned. Cottonwoods.-Not burned. McDonalds Peak.-Not burned. That's 80% of the mountains are all but gone.There is some country within the fire that did not burn and some around the edges,but I have been up there and most of that is just grass and rocks. Very little brush did not burn. There is a thin pocket of brush here and there that did not burn but it's slim. I am going to get out and scout as much as I can before I make my decision. But if I don't see more than my son or I have on a couple of trips so far I'm sending mine back.

Edit. I should have said that F&G has offered that option.

Dean

Dean, since you're a tag holder, has the F&G officially given you the option of turning in your tag?

A friend of mine has a late muzzy tag. He was over last week and said it's real ugly! He said visability should be good.:) I think if F&G made him that offer he would give up the tag also.

Eel

You never know with F&G. 30years ago when there was a burn up here they issued a bunch of tags. Said the winter range couldn't handle the herd size. Like they wouldn't go and find food?

I called yeasterday because where I hunt will be closed because of fire and asked if I could get a refund and they said no because they do not do that! so now am pissed at what you are saying...so come Monday(or if I can call today) I will scream foul....
Thats BS..its the idea).

did button mt. burn? in the 1980's the fire watch guy on observation peak said there were some big bucks on button mt.
it's NE of observation peak right on the NV boarder

Last Sunday, I drove up 395 from Susanville to Alturas, on my way to Burns, Oregon. It was really sad to see how much of X5B had burned. The only bright side, of what I could see from the highway, was that there were some patches that were left intact. However, it was burned from the Honey Lake Valley all the way to Ravendale. The fire didn't burn right along 395, but from about 1/2 mile or so east of the highway, it was burned pretty thoroughly as far as you could see from the highway.

I also drove from Burns to Winnemucca, and the Whitehorse fire seems to make the Burns fire pale by comparison. Here, I drove for perhaps a 1/2 hour, and as far as you could see east to west, the earth was scorched right down to bare, black dirt with NOTHING left unburned.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom