Fall Surveys

greatwestern

Very Active Member
What do y'all think about Game & Fish doing surveys during the Autumnal hunt periods? Any of ya ever had a hunt buggered by an NMGF chopper? Does conducting surveys during active hunt periods make ANY sense, from a scientific OR business perspective?

Please share your thoughts and/or experiences concerning this incredibly misguided and misuse/abuse of YOUR public dollars

Sound Science? or Clownville?

I shot some decent video of this ridiculous phenomenon this past season (during MZ Deer, Late September), but I'm afraid my narrative to the footage ain't entirely appropriate for a decent family site like this one :)

Anyway, maybe I can figure out how to post it up without the audio, or editing out the cussing with some friendly and innocuous BLEEPs...any technical help would be appreciated

Thanks

Idiocracy is how I see it. Interferes with hunts and potentially includes animals in the count that will be harvested, thereby inaccurately reporting survey numbers.

While animals are stressed during the hunts, I do not condone stressing animals on winter ranges after the seasons have ended. Perhaps conducting the surveys immediately after the last rifle hunt in a unit would be a better answer. Or maybe in March (which can also be a touchy time of year for stressing animals or determining sex when antlers have dropped) when animals have survived the prior hunting season and winter, but not yet calved...

Any biologists want to explain why counts are conducted at specific times???

greatwestern, put the video up with some music or edit something good in during your rants.

www.streamflies.com

Most annual science based surveys are conducted during the exact same period every year. This way you are technically sampling under relatively similar conditions. To change the time frame that the survey is being conducted you would skew all past data with new data and it would take several years to actually see what you are looking for. I am sure that seasons have shifted and moved throughout the years and are now going on during this survey.

To hang your hat on a hunt being ruined by one of these surveys is a little far fetched in my opinion. There are so many other factors that we all encounter annually during our hunts that have more bearing on the outcome of our hunts than an aerial survey.

I understand the science behind your post fishfurlife but it seems that this time frame is and has not been providing the most accurate population counts for purposes of tag allocations per unit.

I'm no biologist, but it seems that our current system is clearly not working for deer or elk management. There comes a time when flawed science needs to make way for new practices and data sets. Perhaps it would make more sense from a game management perspective to conduct surveys during the summer to include calves, and then again post hunting season and winter to account for harvest and winterkill mortality rates, thereby resulting in a more accurate population survey.

www.streamflies.com

My understanding is that for elk surveys they try to do it during the rut for one reason. It is the only time of year they can get an fairly accurate bull to cow ratio count. The rest of the year bulls of any size are usually living under a rock in the ugliest country they can find. One warden told me once that the surveys drove him to distraction because they had to fly the exact same one mile grid pattern every year. Even though he knew as the area warden where they could fly to get much more accurate counts.

GREATWESTERN, last year one of my bros and I had a mule deer tag in Colorado, we had a game plan on where to hunt for the entire hunt and had forest service really screw the hunt up bad for three days anyway.
In one area there was a helicopter on a Sunday pulling material from an old lookout tower all day, so that area was a bust for a couple days anyway. So the next couple days we figured we would go hunt a different area and we tried but good ole forest service decided to start a prescribed burn in the area we were going to hunt. What can a guy do when this happens, I guess just have a backup plan to your back up plan. LOL

nmbighorn

GW, as far as the way the survey's are conducted I agree with you that some common sense must find it's way into the methodology that they use.

The elk survey's in the Gila are done after the last archery hunt and before the MI & Youth hunts start. A good time to do it in my opinion.

As Bulls1 mentioned, elk survey's are best done during the rut or else the mature bulls are too hard to see.

It would be easiest to spot deer when there is snow on the ground during the rut.

As we all know there are hunts going on from Sept 1 thru mid Jan. That leaves Feb thru August to complete the surveys. No doubt that they could be done at times when there are no hunts going on to eliminate the chances of ruining a stalk that someone is putting on a critter, but do these other times of year allow accurate counts of bucks & bulls? Not if they aren't packing some bone on their heads!

Several things need to change in my opinion. 1 being that they need to fly their search patters over more habitat that actually holds game rather than someone who doesn't know the area and topography picking out the flight pattersn and assigning it to the local biologist.
Answer: Allow the local biologist to choose where they will fly and when is the best time of year to 1 see the most game and 2 try to avoid conflicts with the the public.

We can't really get the context of what you experienced without seeing the video, so post it up with a "disclaimer regarding the vile language that may be heard". haha!

The point of surveys is not to see the most animals that you possibly can. They make density estimates off of these surveys and if they fly highly populated areas then they will not get an accurate estimate of heard size. This in turn translates into more allotted tags which then makes a bunch of you start complaining more that the NMDGF is "screwing it up".

To knowingly sample highly populated areas is a biased in sampling.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-10-11 AT 06:18PM (MST)[p]Hmmm, very interesting FishFur...so, would you be suggesting that the survey results are largely "justifiable" conjecture? Ha! Unfortunately, you are correct; they ARE in MANY cases...now, is that Sound Science? or Clownville?

I have quite a bit more information to provide, and will include the video when I have the time to un-tard enough to figure how to post it without my accompanying tirade ;)

Thank you ALL for your input, and anyone else out there with an experience/opinion to share, please feel welcome to do so...don't be skeered now :)

Thanks Again,

Adam

**---edited for typos

fishfurlife,

You seem to know what you are doing and bring some good information to the table. What do you think New Mexico isn't doing that other states seeing a resurgence in their muley populations are doing? Along with the extended drought conditions, why is it that our deer herds seem to be struggling while other Western states are producing some of the best deer hunting in decades? I'm seriously frustrated with the poor deer hunting in this state and think our biologists need to make some serious adjustments. Your thoughts, observations?

www.streamflies.com

Fish you have a great point & I didn't put my thoughts into words very well.

The point I was trying to make regarding the flight patterns is that they may fly an area that will never have a population that represents the remainder of that hunting unit. The area flown in some cases is over the highest population in the unit and the next flight pattern may be over an area that game very rarely inhabits.

The policies on the flight patterns and game surveys in general are an issue. They need to be done so that the entire unit and or region if herds migrate across unit boundaries prior to or during a hunt.

I think the biggest hurdle the dept faces is the lack of funding required to do a thorough and unbiased survey.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-14-11 AT 04:20PM (MST)[p]Ok, I guess nobody else felt inclined to chime in...perhaps this post will provide the incentive for some of you to do so

I will begin with a few past experiences:

Tgunner will likely remember this one...a friend and colleague of ours had a mule deer hunter of extremely limited mobility, and had vision in only one eye, and our friend did very well to provide this gentleman a golden opportunity on a buck of a lifetime (220+ class trash buck); the hunter was doing his best to settle in for a shot when a NMGF survey helicopter pops out of the canyon behind and comes ripping over the top of the whole deal...BUGGERED! When the operating manager/outfitter contacted RJ K. following the incident, the reaction was typical of Game & Fish: a lot of backpeddling and rhetoric, along with feeble attempts at justifying their direct violation of their agreed upon flight scheduling over private land

A few years back, I had just begun a stalk (in a place you and I know very well, NMBighorn) on a monstrous typical (lets just say that his estimated score didn't start with the number 1), that I'd watched make his day bed in a stand of spruce with several other good bucks. Conditions were excellent. NMGF was just finishing a sheep capture a couple miles off; I had seen them haul what must have been their last string of ewes down to the ground transport site just before I went after the deer. Well, as I'm closing in on what I felt was a brilliant opportunity on this cranker of crankers, here come that dang chopper flying down the ridge the bucks and I were on...the helicopter proceeded to comb heavily timbered ridges and basins in a back and forth fashion all the way down the mountain...BUGGERED! I later came to find out that they'd figured they might as well try and scare up some deer to look at while they still had fuel to burn...and no, they didn't see even ONE buck in the group I was stalking

As mentioned before, this year's incident occurred during the September MZ deer hunt. I wasn't hunting, but obviously a good many others were. My Honey and I were walking through the timber to go wet some flies in the creek in the late AM, when here come the dang survey chopper...them guys were flying a very tight grid just off the top of the canopy (the rotor wash was palpable as they flew overhead)in an obvious attempt at driving elk into clearings where they could be 'accurately' counted. We had elk buggering through the thick stuff all around us, literally running back and forth in their efforts to get away from the damned thing. ONE young cow ended up out in the open where she'd be visible to the surveyors. How many elk they missed, and how many they 'succeeded' in counting, who the hell knows...the video I shot was when we'd made it to a decent clearing and could document the helicopter making its (seemingly futile) efforts at 'pushing' timber. Clownville!

A different sort of tale: a few years ago, I drew an archery antelope tag for a small conglomerate of former ANT units in the NW portion of the state (3,5,10 if I remember correctly), for which there were a grand total of 10 tags allocated. Tagholders were notified prior to the season that the best piece of country (Fence Lake unit) had been closed for the hunt, due to low population numbers based on a flight survey. An outfitter I know flew the unit in the weeks before the season began and counted in excess of 300 goats, mostly bunched up in area that according to G&F 'doesn't hold antelope'. He advised the Dept. of his findings. He was told that he MUST have miscounted, and that where he'd claimed to have seen the concentration of animals is a 'dead zone' for pronghorn, which they subsequently never fly...Clownville!

NMGF did not have the funding to even conduct aerial Rocky surveys this past summer because they had exhausted their annual budget in the Desert...myself and my colleagues made a concerted effort to provide very detailed, catalogued survey of the Rocky units, which were provided to G&F. They sure did express a lot of interest in obtaining this information, but have since shown little, if any, gratitude for the well documented results provided them

In my experience in dealing with many of them, the biologists are ALWAYS 'right', even when they don't have any inkling as to what it is they are pontificating about

As far as my personal OPINION goes regarding the fall surveys, well, I think it is incredibly misguided on biological principle. I do not think that counting elk during the rut makes any sense whatsoever. It is a very dynamic period, with a lot of elk movement in general, and bulls and cows 'swapping' groups continually...how can one be sure that at least SOME of the elk counted yesterday aren't the same individuals counted today? Never mind that many of those animals never clear the thick timber to offer themselves up for easy counting, despite the savvy surveyors intrusive 'flushing' techniques

I disagree that the rut is the only time big bulls are visible, my (and many others) experience tells me that an ideal time to survey elk and deer numbers is mid-late summer: the bulls and bucks are bachelored up and relatively easy to observe, the cows/calves are in their large nursery groups and generally quite obvious from the air...doe/fawn mule deer are also relatively visible during this time. Along my way of thinking, the second count would be conducted in early winter, soon after the majority populations have hit the winter range and are still in good condition, the bucks and bulls are still packin' their bone, and are again relatively visible. Such a method would also largely avoid the significant margin for error of 'counting' interim harvested animals, as ElkTrout points out

From a business perspective, does it make much sense for an entity to potentially negatively affect the earnest and invested endeavors of those who are largely funding said entity's operations? To me it does not...Buggered by Clownville! :)

I'm not here to school anybody, the point of this thread is to see what others' thoughts/observations are concerning the practice of surveying big game populations during the fall hunting period, and ALL of your input is most welcome

I still can't manage to drop the audio from my footage, and have tried emailing it to a couple people whom have offered to help, but can't even seem to do that successfully (file too large)...I am a retro-grouchy techno-caveman, and none of this new fangled technology makes any sense to me. Everytime I mess with it, I run the risk of arriving at the point of hurling this dang 'magic box' out the window! :)

anyway, Cheers and Thanks

**edit--sorry, had to clear it up some...too much typing for this hillbilly ;)

Please don't take this wrong GW, but a base knowledge of how surveys work in general would keep you up to speed on the "Why's" of the actual surveys.

They are not set up to count new individuals each pass. Just like with spotlight counts for whitetail, it is expected and factored in that you will see the same individuals each time. It is a density estimate that takes the estimated area surveyed and then turns it into an estimated herd size based on the number of individuals seen. You want to make more than one pass to get sound numbers, otherwise you may over shoot or undershoot your estimate.......... again this would lead to more whining by the hunters that think they have it all figured out.

I know a good number of hunters that spend time in NM every season and I am yet to have or even hear about a run in like you account. I am not saying that it doesn't happen, just saying that I don't see it as a very frequent issue.

Okay NmElk, These are my thoughts and only that.

I am not 100% clear on what the NMDGF's core goals are with their deer herd. It appears to me that they are trying to please to many people at the same time. They clearly are not solely a trophy management state, but are clearly not trying to provide quantity of bucks over quality of bucks. I think the above is part of the overall problem, because they can't hang their hat on any one strategy. Some would argue that they are doing the best to please everyone and it is a valid argument. However, it is nearly impossible to attempt to and also be successful in pleasing all outdoorsmen.

Trophies are tough to produce and in order to produce them; you have to limit tags substantially. In edition to this, the weather has to agree for several years running. One of these methods is controllable and the other is completely unpredictable. If you are willing to only hunt every so many years then trophies would be easy to grow. You will just have to sacrifice because drawing a tag regularly will not happen.

Just like whitetail, genetics/nutrients play a large role in producing large bucks. If you don't have the genetics, then you don't have to even begin to worry about producing trophies. Poor nutrients don't necessarily keep a buck from becoming a giant but it is proven to slow the process down. Poor nutrients and lack of nourishment are often confused with each other and they are completely different when related to antler development.

I don't necessarily agree that NM is at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to heard management and producing trophies. Many of the Northern tier of western states are far behind them in my opinion. I also feel that NM is probably above average (not much though) on production of trophy animals. I know it feels like other states just continue to pump out big bucks, but those states in particular are trying to manage for trophies and the hunt opportunities are very very limited in those trophy areas. The biggest complaint in these states is not the size of the animal, but the lack of opportunity to actually carry a tag.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-14-11 AT 11:00PM (MST)[p]Absolutely not FishFur, I appreciate your input...thank you

I do find it interesting that you would presume that I do not understand the current paradigm of Big Game Survey here in my home state. Does my disagreement with the logic behind it represent ignorance of such to you? If so, my apologies, perhaps I should have been more clear

Also, there is no 'whining' (as you so eloquently phrased it) taking place here...I am relating my experiences and OPINIONS to those whom may be interested, and asking for such from others in the interest of pertinent discussion. I have never used circumstances beyond my immediate control as a scapegoat or an excuse, and NEVER will. I also never made any allusion to 'having it all figured out'...the impression you give does not indicate likewise

It also seems to me that you are circumventing the primary points I have made, and instead falling back on redundant and elementary rhetoric that is not necessarily applicable to this conversation; this would also appear to be the case regarding your response to Cody. Would this be an accurate assessment? Please correct me otherwise

I also recognize quite well that the probability of any single individual's hunt being directly jeopardized by the decision of NMGF to flap their whirleybirds around during active hunt periods is rather minute (despite the examples described above), but my question is: is even ONE time justifiable? Is that good business?

Is dogmatically continuing to follow what very well could be a fundamentally flawed survey model Sound Science?

Is wildlife management a static modus? Is there no room for growth and improvement?

Also, please refrain from using whitetail survey practices as a reference...we simply don't have too many of 'em here, neverminding our wee little Rat Deer :)

Anyone else...thoughts, observations, OPINIONS?

Thanks'

I actually enjoy discussing this with you GW because usually by this point, somebody has started acting like a fool.

I would agree that I question your overall knowledge of the actual survey procedures. I am not saying that I doubt your knowledge of their use and purpose. This is based on some of your statements. For example, in my last post I was referring directly to the comment that you made concerning counting the same individuals twice.

With the exception of my generalized thoughts on NMDGF that were given above, all that I have tried to do is help clarify some of the practices being used. I have really not tried to dance around any single question. Furthermore, I have not even addressed your question regarding a needed change in the survey methods because all of my posts in this thread have just been to help clarify.

I will agree whole heartedly that there are surveys being conducted by several state agencies that need a major overhaul. Are the NM aerial surveys one of them???? Maybe. These surveys obviously have at least kept the states deer/elk heard from crashing but I would agree that some different angles might need to be taken on management in NM. It is easy to forget that one miscalculation can affect the deer/elk herd for several years running. Whether that miscalculation is under/overestimating the herd size and issuing to many/to few tags, or underestimating the expected success rate of a given hunt.

I also appreciate your shared belief that the odds of your hunt being busted by a survey is very small.

As for the whitetail comparison, there are some things that you can directly compare the two. Not very many, but there are a few.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-15-11 AT 09:12AM (MST)[p]FishFur, thank you for your explanation...I think we may be starting to understand eachother ;)

My point about the 'double' counting was in reference to the rut period, where 'overlap' probability is increased exponentially. My view is that it is only logical to attempt to reduce error margins by as much as possible...as you stated yourself, even small miscalculations can carry ramifications that may take years to rectify once they are identified and, more importantly, acknowledged.

I do think that some of the methodology of our surveys needs to be reevaluated, hence this discussion

Once again, I sincerely appreciate your input, and thank you for clarifying your point of view

Cheers'

**---by the way, I'd still like to hear about your elk hunt, do you still have my cell# ?

Let's just say it was a very humbling hunt. I believe I do and as soon as I am over the crud that I have been fighting the past few days, I fill you in more.

This has been a good thread and I appreciate the responses fishfurlife.

I think our problems go beyond a lack of clear management philosophy in this state. One of the most glaring indications of our poor overall deer herd management is the fact that we have so few doe hunts (135 tags I believe for the entire state, several of which are for Eastern whitetail). In my mind solid herd numbers have doe populations that should sustain, much less require a doe harvest. Again, that is my opinion.

Secondly, I seem to recall reading that with the exception of the Jicarilla, the number of mule deer entered in the B&C books from NM has dropped off significantly (someone correct me here if I am off my rocker). It seems as though we are struggling to produce quality or quantity hunts in most nearly every region of NM. Don't get me wrong, I see some giant deer in NM every year, but they are far and few between. Of greater concern to me is that I spend a ton of time in the field each year and am always amazed at how few deer I glass or bump while covering incredible country.

I realize that our biologists are working within the constraints of a significant drought and predator populations that have rebounded since the end of large scale government sponsored trapping/poisoning programs. However, it seems that there should be some point at which we begin to see our deer herds begin to rebound.

Anyone have any productive suggestions or observations regarding what is working??? I don't like to kill any animal I won't eat, but I know one thing I will be doing and that is some winter predator population reduction...

I'd love to see the day that NM has a robust deer population.

www.streamflies.com

NM elk n trout
The deer management in NM is a complex situation.
The number one problem is PREDATORS Lions are killing adult deer and coyotes are geting the fawns this is a FACT !
Also there is poaching on the winter range.
Number three is to many deer being killed on our hiways.
And finaly (this won't be popular) is our elk, There are places I hunted in the late sixties and seventies that had hundreds of deer... now only a hand full.But there are hundreds of elk there now and no elk back then.So I feel there must be a correlation with the population switch.I enjoy elk hunting as much as the next guy but my real passion is deer and I just don't think there any easy solutions.Go kill a few coyotes this winter and save a few fawns this spring.

CC

I could not agree more with your points 'Cowboy...though maybe not necessarily in that order ;)

Exploding elk populations are a far greater factor in limiting MD population numbers than I think MANY folks are willing to recognize...they also hammer the alpine sheep ranges pretty good

Predation, poaching, and roadkill? Check, check, and check!

Keep pounding away at the sensitive and fragile mule deer from all conceivable angles, and whaddya know---POOF! They're gone...

Cosmic,

I hear ya' man, and as you can see from my posts I agree that all of the factors you listed are clearly playing a significant part in the reduction of our deer herds. However, I don't think they are wholly responsible and I believe there has to be some missing piece that completes the puzzle of NM's deer herd. I'm originally from Routt County in Northwestern Colorado where we have the largest elk herd in the world, tons of predators, gads and gads of hunters and tags, tremendous snowfall, and in many places winter roadkill that would blow your mind. However, we have an excellent deer herd with some solid trophy genetics. Granted, a lot of the region is lush during the short growing season and has not been effected by the horrible drought that has stricken New Mexico.

In the late eighties and early nineties the deer herd in our region crashed after a series of record-breaking winters, the end of strychnine and 10/80 predator control, and a rebounding elk herd. What did our F&G do? Not only did they move deer hunts to a draw, they cut initially cut deer hunts down to a 3 day hunt, raised the antler point restriction to a 3 point minimum, and slashed tag numbers. The result. Improved overall opportunity AND quality. While I'm the first to admit that comparing Northern Colorado to New Mexico is akin to comparing apples to avocados, I think our F&G needs to resist the initial kicking and screaming and do something significant for a few years, especially while we ride this drought out. Time for some significant action if you ask me. Good points all, keep them coming. Btw, I have zero background in biology, just going on common sense here!
-Cody

www.streamflies.com

LAST EDITED ON Dec-18-11 AT 05:06PM (MST)[p]Ya ElkTrout, definitely can't draw too many parallels between the Yampa and much of this desert state ;)

The closest thing we've got is the Tierra Amarilla country, the greater area of which (Chama river valley, CO's southern San Juans, the Jic and a bit westward) continues to hold relatively strong deer numbers and, as everyone knows, cranker genetics. It is likewise home to the state's largest elk herd, and generally has the harshest winters. It is also almost exclusively private, Tribal, or WMA state lands, and therefore pretty tightly controlled with regard to permit allocation, cattle grazing, and the potential for heavy illegal harvest.

The dramatic increase of elk in the rest of the state has negatively affected mule deer in that when range conditions are comprimised by lack of moisture, and further denuded by continued cattle grazing, the plentiful and voracious elk are forced to switch to browse, literally eating the muleys out of house and home. In the high country of the Sangres this past hideously dry summer, bulls were still heavily relying on browse in the third week of July! Many of the deer that are normally present on this range were absent. The antler growth retardation in the bulls wasn't nearly as bad as in the bucks. Some of last years toads were virtually unrecognizable, or more worryingly, nowhere to be found.

I imagine it was far worse in much of the state.

I do think the southern mtns units issue WAY too many buck tags, and would do well to balance the harvest with the issuance of doe lisences, as you shrewdly point out.

And I wholeheartedly agree that predation by coyotes and lions is a MAJOR problem, and the Greater Gila has frikken wolves to contend with as well...who the hell knows where THAT is headed

Throw in the resentful and self entitled 'philosophy' of the very significant poaching community (I believe NM to be among the WORST in this regard), and it presents a pretty dismal outlook for the New Mexico mule deer

**edit---but of course, this is all just my opinion :)

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom