Fallow up shots

400bull

Very Active Member
Over the weekend I pulled out some of my hunting DVDs and had a movie marathon with my boys. One of things that my boys picked up on this time was the number of fallow up shots that were needed and more importantly the number of Texas heart shots used for the fallow up shot. Any way it got me to thinking and was wondering if Texas heart shots would be an ethical fallow up shot. For me a Texas heart shoot is never a good shot, I will choose to wait until I have a better broadside shot if a second shot is needed to finish the job. What are your thoughts on using a Texas heart shot as a fallow up shot?

400bull

It wouldn't be my first choice, but if the point of a follow-up shot is to put a poorly hit animal on the ground to avoid his escape, then I think you should take whatever shot is necessary to achieve this. Too bad about the wasted meat...

Make the first shot count, if more are needed you take any shot you can get. Even if all you can see is his left eyeball, you take it. Better to have the animal on the ground then running with a chance to get away injured.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

Once you hit an animal, you're committed at that point. Of course you want to take the best shot you can, just like the first shot. But do take the Texas heart shot rather than take the chance that an animal will be lost.

If you decide to kill an animal, don't stop until you finish the job. You can cry about why the first shot didn't do it later.

Eel

+1

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom