Family vacations in Jackson Hole

HullinPhx

Very Active Member
So I was looking around for a family vacation for the summer of 2011, Being from Arizona I have always wanted to go north to Jackson hole and I have convinced my wife that it would be fun to do a " Dude Ranch " type of set up, fishing and horse back rides for the kids, hiking, yellowstone, etc... I checked into the prices and they are a lot more expensive that I thought it would be. Some of the all inclusive places think mighty high of themselves. I am willing to pay those prices if it is worth it.

Just trying to get a feel if anybody else has done these types of things

Let me know..

Thanks

John

Being a rancher the dude ranch thing is lost on me, but the NW part of Wyoming is my favorite place in the world.

My advice is make the circle from West Yellowstone through Cody,Thermopolis,Dubois and Jackson. the Buffalo Bill Museum is worth the trip on it's own.

You can look at the Chamber of commerce sites for these town and see what interst you , as much as I love Jackson if you miss the rest of the area you're missing a lot.

When we do our Yellowstone trips, we stop at Idaho's Bear World on our way to West Yellowstone where we stay for 1 or 2 nights and do the upper loop. Then we stay inside the park for 1 or 2 days and do the lower loop. Then we head down to Jackson and usually stay at the Wagon Wheel. We go to the little museum on the north end of town (across the street from the Wagon Wheel). Then we usually raft the river and do the Bar J Wranglers (a must). Very fun trip! I also agree with the Buffalo Bill Museum.

I don't know about dude ranches in WY. There are dude ranch associations that will provide you with information about different ranches. Whether you are a beginner or advanced rider, I'm not a fan of the head to tail walking that many ranches are forced to abide by due to insurance limitations. Over the course of the week, you'll want to be taught how to be a better rider and eventually let 'er rip. Not all ranches have that luxury. You also want to find out where you'll be riding, lodging, food and other activities.

I can tell you I worked at Lost Valley Ranch in Colorado for 6 months about 20 yrs ago and I've vacationed there a few times since. Last year was the first time with the kids because your youngest will need to be 6 to have his/her own horse for the week. Kids programs are great. Riding experience is fantastic - walkers to hauling tail. 4diamond AAA log cabins for each family and don't plan on losing any weight. Beautiful mountains. Let's just say I can't wait to go back again this next Summer. Expense? Yup, about the price of Disney World or a nice cruise. If you have any interest in horseback riding, you can't beat this vacation for good, quality family time in God's country.

Brad

I love Jackson hole area. Rafting the snake, driving to yellowstone, etc. The only dude ranch I have ever been too was at West Yellowstone and my sister worked their as a wrangler for a couple of years, it was a free night stay and horse ride... Personally, I wouldn't pay the money for the dude ranch thing. Bring your trailer or rent an RV. Then you can stay at different spots in Jackson up through Yellowstone.

Don't exclude Pinedale from your thoughts. WYOGA has a list of all guides and outfitters in WY. I can recommend the New Fork Drainage as a great place to go in. I spent about a week at the narrows campground in Aug and dayhiked the area. My initial plan was to do a loop up the Green and over the spine of the Winds from Clarks Lake to Lozier Lakes then down into the New Fork and back up over Porcupine Pass back to the trail head. A member of the party got altitude sickness very bad the first evening and we had to walk him out and to the hospital at Pinedale the next day. It was still a great trip. Stop in the brew pub in Pinedale and have a steak and Buckin Bitter, you'll be pleased!

Pat C.

Good advice from all of the above. If it was me I would skip the Dude ranch but I live in ranch country so I guess I just don't understand the experience. The Winds are great and I would split my time between Cody (great town a little touristy) and Thermopolis I also really enjoy Pinedale, Lander. Jackson Hole is a little to commercialized in the town but that's just my opinion. Enjoy your vacation

There you go. Do the "loop". Lander also offers Llama pack trips if everyone is up to walking and not having to carry anything. There are tons of horse packers in the areas to fulfill the horse trip end of things or if you are horsey enough you can get them out of Pavilion delivered to the trailhead.

Pat C.

Thanks for all the great advice. We have a few additional specific questions out to a couple of ranches. I can not wait. I love Arizona but 100 - 110 degree weather in mid June will be nice to get away from.

John

Make sure you check with a couple outfitters as most of them offer pack trips,so you could still do a two day and keep traveling.Bald moutain Outfitters do one I know and check out the zip line places if you go through CO,some friends went last year and said it was a blast.

I agree the brew pub in Pinedale is great i live there so i'm there all the time some of the best hot wings around and burgers to!!!

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom