Favorite backcountry backpack.

PerezA

I am in the market for a new backpack. I do multiple backpacking trips a year, looking into a 5900-7000 cu in pack. Currently running a kuiu lt pro 5500, it does ok but I feel like there are better packs out there. We recently did the bataan death march here in Nm, all the training for it kinda tore up my pack so I’m looking for a new one for this coming season.

what’s everybody opinion?
Stone glacier
Exo
Initial ascent
Kifaru
Mystery ranch

Thanks in advance, if anybody has any sweet promos on packs let me know haha pack prices are insane.

Take a look at the Initial Ascent packs, I’ve carried a few now but went to this pack a year ago, the rest will collect dust now.

I've rocked an Exo K2 5500 for five seasons now and I cant recommend it enough. Even in its worn in and blood stained state its still the envy of all my Mystery Ranch prodeal having buddies here in MT.

I've rocked an Exo K2 5500 for five seasons now and I cant recommend it enough. Even in its worn in and blood stained state its still the envy of all my Mystery Ranch prodeal having buddies here in MT.
How many nights do you think you could pack in the 5500??

Take a look at the Initial Ascent packs, I’ve carried a few now but went to this pack a year ago, the rest will collect dust now.
Ya that’s what everybody keeps saying. Saying it carries heavy loads really well and the pack design is really thought out.

How many nights do you think you could pack in the 5500??
Depends on how strong your back is. More importantly it depends on which season you are hunting. During archery elk here on MT I can easily go for over a week if water is abundant. Later in November with heavier clothing, shelter, etc. I try limit myself to a week. The pack is not the limiting factor, I am.

I was able to run one of the Alaska Guide Creations Kobuk prototypes and have been thoroughly impressed. I have multiple other brand packs and I’ve never even thought about going back. Tough, light, comfortable and I can customize it for anything from a day trip to a week long stay in the backcountry. I think they have a few different sizes. Mine is the 5700.

I've tried all the brands you listed except Initial Ascent. I'm currently running a Stone Glacier Sky Talus 6900 with an X-Curve frame. I appreciate how I can reduce the volume through the bivy-mode they designed into the pack. I tried previous generations of the EXO but have been reading positive reviews about the new K4 systems. No matter what anyone tells you, you probably can't go wrong with any of the packs you listed just find the one that fits your body type best.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom