Favorite Book?

grizzmoose

Very Active Member
Im a fairly avid reader. Until about a month ago, I got stuck reading the same genre of book and got bored. To expand on the types of books I read, I ended up making deals with other people who also enjoy reading. The deal. . .Ill read your favorite book if you read mine. Several books later, Ive found there are lots of good books out there that I never would have found or even read on my own. So, Im just wondering what your favorite books are. Im in the market for a new book and would like to hear some options.

My favorite, hands down, is Lonesome Dove. I just finished my 4th time.

-Travis

My favorites are "White Fang", "Call of the Wild", "Gone with the Wind". I imagine everyone has read those. If not, you would enjoy them.

tough trip through paradise by andrew garcia.
this is the best book I have read.
also the log of a cowboy by andy adams
you will enjoy .
crow

I read a couple of books a week, here are two of my all time favorites. Since I read a lot that means I'm always hunting for books so keep the suggestions coming. Great Topic.

1000 White Women by Jim Fergus
Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett

A couple of good reads:

Breakout: The Chosin Reservoir Campaign
Chesty A Biography of Chesty Puller

Keep em coming,

BeanMan

I ain't gonna tell ya mine! They involve Dragons and Wizards and stuff, and I don't wanna get laughed at ;-)

:( Somebody didn't like bouncing betty :(

grizzmoose,

Some of the prequels and sequels to lonesome dove are reaaly good too like "streets of loredo" and "commanche moon" and one called the death march or something like that.

JB

My wife, of all people thinks Lonsome Dove
is the best book she has ever read. I won't
argue with her. She has a Masters degree, and
as you've noticed, spell's a hell of a lot better
than me. She know's good stuff (I being the exception).
I like a little more action. I like a bunch of them,
but if I had to pick two favorites, and I'm hitting
diff. themes here, Death In The Long Grass is as good
as it get's. More down home in my direction, Good Guns,
Good Freind's, Good Whiskey...By Skeeter Skelton.
You guy's in UT, Walt Prothero is the Master. Period.
I just got my new Safari Press mag. and noticed that
he has co-wrote a book about Mountain Lion's. HH, take
notice. I'm into reading anything he pen's.
A while back, I asked some of you who could take
Jim Carm. place at OL if and when he ever leaves. Which
I hope is another 200 years. You're responses were very
interesting. Some good names came up. I like to read all
of them. But I think Walt Prothero could actually replace
Jim. Sorry Jim, I've always love ya.

I have read those. They were good, but not nearly the quality of Lonesome Dove though. I have read a few others by McMurtry, like Zeke and Ned, but LD is definitely the best.

Thanks for the suggestions! Ill keep looking along and see what others post.

For anyone who hasnt read Texas by Michener, thats a MUST.

-Travis

I would have to concur with Ive2143 Death in the Long Grass by Peter Hathaway-Capstick is a real gripper.

The Taking by Dean Koontz
Kon-Tiki by Thor Heyerdahl
Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown
Jarhead by Anthony Swofford
In the Company of Soldiers by Rick Atkinson
Lies, And the Lying Liars Who Tell Them by Al Franken
Quantum Reality, Beyond the New Physics by Nick Herbert
All Calvin & Hobbes Books by Bill Watterson

I agree that the Lonesome Dove series is excellent. The movie should have been better with the cast it had. I fell in love with Diane Lane in that movie. C&H is the best comic strip ever! Nelson DeMille is fun to read and I always enjoy Michener because his research was well done. I recommend John Mcphee's 'Coming into the Country'.

Grizz, Have you read This life of Pi, by Yann Martel? If not, you should check it out. It's a little different, but it's a killer story!

I've read alot of McMurtry and some of his books are my favorite books and movies. "Lonesome Dove" is by far the best though. Some of his books are just strange though, and always tragic and the people always have really weird names.

I loved "The Prince of Tides". It's a bit schmoopy, but the rest of it is really good. That movie totally sucked.

I used to be a big Stephen King fan (Tony...ever read "Eyes of the Dragon" by him? It's gooooood! One of my all time favorite books), but "Desolation" scared the poop out of me and I just can't read him anymore (it was about evil coyotes and mtn. lions and stuff and just creepy). I did really enjoy "IT" and "Misery" though.

I read pretty much anything I can get my hands on, but I do like alot of Jonathan Kellerman and murder mystery type books. If I want a good schmoopy book...Nicolas Sparks (definitely not a guy's author...but if you're looking for a good pick for a girl, he's the MAN...I dub him the "KING of Schmoop").

I've read "Band of Brothers" a few times, and will likely read that again. I like adventure novels by Clive Cussler when I'm in the mood. Walt Prothero's newest book on mule deer was good read. I also enjoyed David Long's new one. A few books by the famous game warden, Teri Grosz, are pretty interesting as well.

Ever since I spent 4 months as a juror on a murder trial, I have been hooked on true crime books. I enjoy most of them but Ann Rule is my favorite.

I also liked Death in the Long Grass. Well, anything Capstick!

Jack London for sure. But mostly I read lots of non-fiction.

Eel

Grizzmoose - you need to read ALL of the "Lonsome Dove" series by McMurty if you like his stuff. "Zeke and Ned" is good but its a relatively short read. "Commanche Moon" is by far the best of the "Lonsome Dove" series, IMO. It is a sweeping epic that really puts the West into perspective. You really need to read them all to truly appreciate Gus and Call and the West they lived in.

If you are tired of that type of genre then you should move to some of the modern classics. I almost have my Ph.D. in Latin American literature so I could go on and on about books in Spanish. If you really want to try something different, read "The House on the Lagoon" by Rosario Ferre. She is Puerto Rican but writes in English. Another great book is "Bless Me Ultima" by Rudolfo Anaya, who is from New Mexico. The book is written in English even though the context is Spanish. It is a great "coming of age" story set in 1940's New Mexico. You can also try some of the Latin American classics written in translation. "100 Years of Solitude" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez will blow your socks off. It is an amazing read filled with magical realism and wonder on every page.

If you prefer a lighter read but with some good writing and perspective, check out James Lee Burke. He writes the Dave Robicheaux detective mysteries and they are great. They all have the same plot, you can see where the story is going but Robicheaux and his buddy Clete are some of the most interesting characters you will ever read. They are set in 1980's and 90's rural Louisianna and New Orleans. You need to start with "Heaven's Prisoners" (of which a movie was made starring Alec Baldwin and Terri Hatcher) and then you will be hooked and have to read the whole series. He also wrote "The Lost Get Back Boogie" which won several awards and is about a Louisianna man who transfers to Montanna after serving a prison sentence in Louisianna.

If you really want to get serious, learn Spanish and then you can read "Autobiografia de un esclavo" by Juan Francisco Manzano. I am writing my dissertation on it. If you did that, we could really have a lot to talk about! Yeah, I'm a big nerd - I know it! LOL

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

Thanks for the suggestions! I do speak Spanish and have read a few books in Spanish. Though short, La Dama del Alba so far has been my favorite. I also read El Popol Vuh a few years ago. It was a little confusing but pretty fascinating.

I have read all of the Lonesome Dove books, including Commanche Moon, which Ive read a few times.

Ill certainly take a look at all the ones you have suggested. There are a ton of books here that have come up that Id like to look into. Ever since graduating from college, I have really been into reading. Its so nice to finally be able to pick up a book of my choice and not feel guilty about it not being a textbook!

The Life of Pi that was suggested earlier sounds interesting. Definitely a different story line than Im accustomed to. I have read almost everything by King and Koontz. I have read a few Kellerman novels, but that whole genre Im a little burnt out of. Though they are entertaining, I dont feel like I gain anything by reading them.

Thanks so far for all the suggestions and keep the list growing! I can see myself referring back to this post several times after I finish a book in search of the next read.

-Travis

Some non-fiction that I really liked to read were a couple of biography things. One was mentioned already...About Chesty Puller.

The best one I read though, was about Chuck Yeager. It was the first one and I read it about 20 years ago, but it still sticks in my mind. This guy was phenomenal! Shot down a German Jet with P-51 Mustang. His vision was at the time was nearly superhuman, he could see that well.

JimNv, You should also read "Samurai" by Saburo Saki. He was one of the highest leading "aces" for Japan with 64 kills, all against American planes.(WWII). He and Chuck Yeager would have made a great team. He talks about picking out stars in the sky....during the middle of the day!

Eel

Where the Red Fern Grows
All Calvin and Hobbes books
Anything by Patrick McManus
"Dies the Fire" by S.M. Stirling (This book is basically one man's vision of what would happen to the world if suddenly everything electrical stopped working and gunpowder ceased to work. Interesting read.)
If you're into the Sword and Sorcery type books, The Sword of Shannara series is quite good.
Maneaters by Capstick

I second "where the red fern grows"
And i am surprised nobody has said Louis LaMour, i have read tons of his books, and they are all good!

Hey, just thought Id let you know I went out and bought this book today. Should have it done next week. It definitely caught my eye.

Dude, I'm with you on Lonesome Dove. If you like historical fiction, read AZTEC by Gary Jennings. I swear it the best book I've ever read. If you like it let me know and I'll recomend a couple of others. I'm reading FLAGS of OUR FATHERS now. It's wonderful.

RUS

If you liked the post of the guy imitating Brokeback Mountain, read OPEN RANGE buy Ann Proulix. She is a pretty good author. She wrote stuff like SHIPPING NEWS and other good stories.

RUS

Grizz, If you try The life of Pi, let me know what you think. I loved it. It will blow your mind. Have you tried Into thin air by Jon Krakauer? And if you haven't read all the Dan Brown books, Angels and Demons is the best one of the lot in my opinion. My parents told me Aztec by Gary Jennings was one of their favorites of all time, and they read a book a week. I have it, but it's huge. Maybe going into the winter I'll have time to dive in. Anyway, if I think of more I'll let you know!

Aztec is absolutely amazing. I read that few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. There are 2-3 follow ups to that book that I have yet to try. I always hesitate to recommend that book to anyone else simply because of how graphic it is. I did just start the Life of Pi last night. So far, so good. Only about a 1/3 of the way through though.

Travis,

If you enjoyed "Texas" by James Michener, then I would recommend "Centennial", "Alaska", and "Space" by the same author.

Mark

Thanks for the suggestion.

I have read Texas, Alaska, Hawaii, and almost got through Poland. I started to get a little burnt out on Michener though. I still like him and still plan on reading more of his stuff, but just needed a break. When I get back to Michener, Centennial is definitely next in line. I couldnt quite see myself reading Space though. You enjoyed it?

I did enjoy it. I read it shortly after college about 15 years ago, so can't remember it much except that it was different from most of Mitchener's land-based books in that it was somewhat more technical and covered a far shorter time period. I still have it in my library and will probably read it again some day when I have more leisure time.

Mark

Angels and Demons by Dan Brown is also a great book. I can't beleive nobody has mentioned Grisham, I have read most of his books and like them as well. I love to read as long is its not a text book.

Here's three (of many) that I have enjoyed:

1)Unintended Consequences.....John Ross.
2)That Dark and Bloody River..Allan Eckert.
3)Old Man and The Boy.........Robert Ruark.

Book's 1 and 2 have their fair share of critic's on their lack of historical accuracy but, for a good read of a novel....I enjoyed them.

Hard to top sea-faring stories for me. Bad weather and rough water...I love it. In the Serpents Coil and Grey Seas Under by Farley Mowat are very, very good and among my favorites.

I liked:
1) Old Man and The Boy.
2) That Dark and Bloody River.
3) Unintended Consequences.

I've read a bunch of books over the years.

I will echo what others have said about Michner. Good stuff.

I have also read all of the Cussler "Dirk Pitt" books, they are a good read but probably won't win many literary awards.

Anything by Ambrose is good, someone mentioned Band of Brothers, but he has written a bunch of good books.

Lately I have been on a Tim Dorsey kick. Hilarious stuff that keeps you on the edge of your seat. Lots of Florida history mixed in with a hilarious cast of hookers, druggies and a serial killer that has you rooting for him from beginning to the end.

Another Cussler fan. I haven't read much fiction, but I have read the entire works of Cussler. My roomate in college had one of his books and that hooked me. I guess that's because I'm a bit of a history buff. I read mainly history. I got hooked on military history while in ROTC...

Some of the more recent:

Thunder Run: David Zucchino, Mark Bowden

The March Up: Ray L. Smith, Bing West

One Bullet Away: Nathaniel C. Fick

Hornhog,

I just got done with Life of Pi. Pretty fascinating book. I cant get the ending out of my head. Got a little slow at parts, but the ending is great and definitely leaves me thinking.

-Travis

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom