Favorite Knife?

slamdunk

Just curious what everyone uses for knives in the field.
I have always been a fan of Buck Knives, then i started using Knives of Alaska.....then i discovered Havalon.
Havalon knives with replaceable surgical steel blades are hands down the best cutting tool i have ever used. I can carry many extra blades in various sizes with virtually no extra weight in my pack. It's like having 20 extremely sharp knives ready to go.
Yes they have a weak spot and do occasionally snap and break but it takes seconds to replace. I typically use 4 blades taking care of an elk.
Ready set go......

My Favorite is My RELH!

It Ain't Seen No Blood Yet!:D

Saving it for that Special day!

Havalon is good one to pack in your Pack!

But a Guy needs to Pack a Real Knife as Well!

Something that doesn't Break!

Howdy PUNK!

[font color="blue"]HUNTIN,FISHIN,AND LOVIN EVERY DAY,I WANNA SEE
THEM TALL PINES SWAY!
[/font]

The only thing I can't do in the field with my Havalon, is cut off the skull plate!

LAST EDITED ON Jun-26-16 AT 01:14PM (MST)[p]I bought a Buck 102 (it appears to be a 102) in 1967 from a hardware store in my hometown. That hardware store had wooden floors and still would today if the owners son hadn't pissed it all away after his dad died. Every time I'd come home on leave from the Navy, I would pay a visit to Hubert at the store and every time he would ask me about that knife.

My Knife Larder will be BORING to all of you. I carry a Gerber I won at a Rifle Running Deer Match when I was a High School Freshman and pack two U.S. Marine K-Bar Knives I took away from bad guys wanting to fight.

Back when I was getting Pigs most weekends on a Contract Hunt for large Vineyards by King City, it took all 3 knives to skin each Hog. I never learned the true ART of sharpening anything. I sure have tried but always fail.

If I had to leave with just one knife, it would be one of the K-Bars. But, my Daughters have been handling all Big Game and skin like the dull knives I hand them were razor sharp. Females just do many things better than I could so I stay away.

Told Yah I'd be boring.

And old Buck 119 and a Case Trapper. Not much I can't finish.

"Courage is being scared to death but
saddling up anyway."

I've always been a big A.G. Russell fan.

David Slaughter gave me a carbon steel fix blade
a couple of years ago that is about perfect.
Hope to get bear blood on it.

>The only thing I can't do
>in the field with my
>Havalon, is cut off the
>skull plate!

Bingo.....I'm right there with you!
I am loving all the blade choices Havalon has now and they seem to be stronger than they originally were.
Its nice to feel like i have 20 extremelysharp knives with me that weigh a mere 3 ounces versus at least 3 heavy knives and a sharpener!

Here is one I just finished yesterday. S30V skinner with stabilized exhibition redwood burl handle scales. I picked up the handle scales wood at the Oregon knife show I attended last April.

225590004943.jpg

RELH

I have to agree with Slamdunk... the Havalon Piranta has been my go-to knife ever since I found it. I use 4-6 blades on an elk, and never look back. No sharpening, no worry, no carrying 3 knives and a sharpener...one knife. 10 blades with me. Ready for any processing.

North American Hunting Competition
http://northamericanhuntingcompetition.com/

NAHC I have two different hunters using my S30V knives tell me that they field dressed and skinned out two elk without having to touch up the blade in the field. One hunter in Michigan told me that he field dress & skinned out his deer and skinned out 4 deer for his hunting camp buddies and did not have to re-sharpen the blade on his S30V knife.
I have also had hunters asking me to make them a knife to cape out the game head, and I did advise them to look into getting a Havalon knife as that knife is cheaper in cost and is perfect for that chore.

RELH

I use a Cutco DD edge drop point. I have start to finish gutted, skinned and cut up 6 elk without sharpening. You have to be careful on the rib bones to not get bone chips.

Great knife.

I only used the free sharpening one time as I felt the knife didn't come back the same as new.

So now I get a new one each year as we are going through a bunch of elk.

I should try a custom one some day, but I'm the worst on sharpening.

DZ

Not my favorite, but I use the Havalon. It does all that I need most times and is light and easy to carry.

I have two favorite knives. One is a Kinfolk and it was given to me by an old bachelor/hermit in 1968, the year he died. His dad bought it over 100 years ago now. My other favorite knife is the knife that my dad carried hunting from when he got it right after WWII until he died in 1986. It's just an old Western knife with a bone handle, but it has powerful magic for me.

I've got some fancy knives and some high dollar ones, but nothing can compare to those two for me.

I use two knives.
First one is one that I won at a MDHA banquet when I was 12. Every time I carry that knife, tags are filled. I didn't carry it a couple of times and no tags filled. So that knife goes on EVERY hunt now. However it is getting old and from repeated sharpening it is getting a "arch" in the blade. To ensure that blade lasts my life time it now gets the customary first cut on every animal, then it gets put in the pack.
I then use a 6" fillet knife for rest of animal. Fillet knives are light, easy to replace, easy to sharpen and cheap. If I lose/break it, oh well got another one.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

IVE2143. yes I do. You and NAHC can go to facebook and search Hatfield knives. I have about 8 knives listed and several are carbon steel along with S30V and D-2 steel.

RELH

For practicality, its hard to beat a Havalon, though my favorite knife would be the one my daughter and her husband had made for me for last Christmas. Sentimental trumps practical.

50388knife.jpg

When I was12 my dad got me a buck 102 or 105 cant recall at the moment.

17 years later im still using it... I will stay true to buck knives. Mine is still strong and I dont want to buy a knife to where I have to buy extra blades then they switch styles and someday may not be able to get that spare blade... just a thought.

I won a buck vangaurd knife signed by Chuck Buck. And I will pass that knife on to my kid. Just sits on a stand for show so hopfeully it will stay that way

My dad also bought me a buck knife for my 13th birthday. It disappeared out of my room in college. Don't know if it was the roommate or one of his buddies.

Gerber folding. Lot of knife for the money. Lite, take an edge well, easy to hone edge back.

Not impressed with havalon. Dont like handle. Handle is big part of a good knife. Guy needs to know how to sharpen a knife.

For awhile there, i had a pretty nice pocket knife collection. Then one day i asked myself what the heck i was ever going to do with all those knives, name brands, lots of trappers. Then i started giving them away to friends. I really liked to see the smile on folks faces when i gave them a fine knife for their birthday or just for the heck of it, made my day probably more than theirs.

RELH made my favorite knife. It is oh so sweet! When i got it, i had him send two. As my nature, i gave one to my long time hunting pard by way of thanks. He treasures his too.

Joey

Keep your slimy Paws Off My, Yours, Our,.. Public Land!!!

>Gerber folding. Lot of knife
>for the money. Lite,
>take an edge well, easy
>to hone edge back.
>
>Not impressed with havalon. Dont
>like handle. Handle is
>big part of a good
>knife. Guy needs to
>know how to sharpen a
>knife.

Hey NMPaul?

I've got a Folding GERBER I'd like to see you Sharpen!

I've mentioned the Knife to RELH a few times!

Really Like the lighweight/thin Carbon Fiber Handle & Shape!

But what a PIA to try & Sharpen!

I Had a Professional Knife Sharpener take a Wack at it & He Got Pissed!

Gave it back to me & said:We'll just call that the 'John Wayne' of all knives!

Said He'd never seen anything like it!

Told Him I hadn't either & never want another Blade like that one!

THEM TALL PINES SWAY!
[/font]

>>Gerber folding. Lot of knife
>>for the money. Lite,
>>take an edge well, easy
>>to hone edge back.
>>
>>Not impressed with havalon. Dont
>>like handle. Handle is
>>big part of a good
>>knife. Guy needs to
>>know how to sharpen a
>>knife.
>
>Hey NMPaul?
>
>I've got a Folding GERBER I'd
>like to see you Sharpen!
>
>
>I've mentioned the Knife to RELH
>a few times!
>
>Really Like the lighweight/thin Carbon Fiber
>Handle & Shape!
>
>But what a PIA to try
>& Sharpen!
>
>I Had a Professional Knife Sharpener
>take a Wack at it
>& He Got Pissed!
>
>Gave it back to me &
>said:We'll just call that the
>'John Wayne' of all knives!
>
>
>Said He'd never seen anything like
>it!
>
>Told Him I hadn't either &
>never want another Blade like
>that one!
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
Not sure of the story behind your Gerber Bess. I have a half dozen of them and I can put an edge on them every time. I normally carry 2 and break down an elk with them including caping. I have done it with one.

I probably break down at least 8 elk in the field every year, and I like them over others. If I lose one, or in one case my dog got ahold of one and chewed up the handle, no big loss.

Bess, you a Havalon man? Or a serrated edge (housewife knife) man? :)

>>>Gerber folding. Lot of knife
>>>for the money. Lite,
>>>take an edge well, easy
>>>to hone edge back.
>>>
>>>Not impressed with havalon. Dont
>>>like handle. Handle is
>>>big part of a good
>>>knife. Guy needs to
>>>know how to sharpen a
>>>knife.
>>
>>Hey NMPaul?
>>
>>I've got a Folding GERBER I'd
>>like to see you Sharpen!
>>
>>
>>I've mentioned the Knife to RELH
>>a few times!
>>
>>Really Like the lighweight/thin Carbon Fiber
>>Handle & Shape!
>>
>>But what a PIA to try
>>& Sharpen!
>>
>>I Had a Professional Knife Sharpener
>>take a Wack at it
>>& He Got Pissed!
>>
>>Gave it back to me &
>>said:We'll just call that the
>>'John Wayne' of all knives!
>>
>>
>>Said He'd never seen anything like
>>it!
>>
>>Told Him I hadn't either &
>>never want another Blade like
>>that one!
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>Not sure of the story behind
>your Gerber Bess. I
>have a half dozen of
>them and I can put
>an edge on them every
>time. I normally carry
>2 and break down an
>elk with them including caping.
> I have done it
>with one.
>
>I probably break down at least
>8 elk in the field
>every year, and I like
>them over others. If
>I lose one, or in
>one case my dog got
>ahold of one and chewed
>up the handle, no big
>loss.
>
>Bess, you a Havalon man?
>Or a serrated edge (housewife
>knife) man? :)

Well Paul!

I Do Own a Few Havalons!

I've got Several GERBERS I like also,that you can Sharpen!

But this One I Retired is a Real #####!

HouseWife Knife,LMAO!

THEM TALL PINES SWAY!
[/font]

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom