Featherweight or Not?

MNHunter

Hey Guys,
I'm buying a new rifle and decided to get a Winchester Mod 70 in .270 with wood stock and stainless barrel. Now, do I get it in featherweight or classic? I'll mainly use it for deer but someday will use it to hunt sheep and goats. Maybe this is a nit-picky question but what do you guys think?

Classic is the action type, it has the claw extractor like the "classic" pre-64 actions...

Do you think you can find what you're looking for? SS wood that is? I've only seen a handfull of these on the shelf and with winchester discontinuing thier M70 you might have a hard time finding one.

That being said... I'd go with a featherweight over the standard weight.

Thanks Bambistew. I have 2 Cabelas within an hour of me and one has the featherweight with wood and SS. The other has the standard, which the guy on the phone called the classic (thanks for clearing that up for me) with the wood/SS. They also have a standard in .270 WSM. I thought it they would be harder to come by by now.

I go buy both of them right now. I looked around locally and the internet and couldn't find a new one that wasn't a WSSM caliber.

I have two featherweights in -06!! One in ss/wal and one blue/wal. I love em'. If you got sheep or goat in your future go for the featherweight. Plus it's without a doubt the sweetest factory offereing ever. IMO only the Ruger# 1's rival their look's!! Pure sweetness! CD

I eat and breathe Remington, but if you can get the wood/stainless featherweight, GET IT. Besides being a good rifle, the combo of stock profile and stainless metal is beautiful. One of the best looking factory rifles of any make in my opinion. mtmuley

I have a S/S wood FWT in .270 WCF that I got recently. Good looking, decent shooting rifle. It is a classic. Got it for $719 a few days after the Winchester announcement.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom