Feb 4-5 Oryx hunt

bogey

I posted this on the general page also. I had someone going with me and my girl friend on my hunt, but work got in the way of his fun. So does anyone want to go along and help, have some fun, see what the hunts like, or what ever?

I would have gone in a second, but will be out chasing stink pigs that weekend. Good Luck!!! I'm sure you won't have any trouble finding somebody to go.

Do I have to?????
I think Oryx would have tasted better then my tag and I am darn sure it would have looked REALLY good in my basement. No I ddidn't get anything. I am really bummed for the last day or two and I am sure each time I see or hear of Oryx for a long time. They are so darn pretty, fun to hunt and neat to see walking around. If I could get the tag again I would tell all of you that it doesn't really bug me because it was so fun. But it does bug me in this case. The hunt was a blast and I crawled and walked like a duck through a lot of white sands(thorns and rocks.
At this point I would suggest with out question apply for the tag it is awesome. Do not drive the roads to keep looking for them, get out and glass off the roads. I still have not figured out how in the heck to stalk close to them as they see you from about 1,000yds. I really would bet a lot that given one more day I would kill one early in the day. I found a spot were they were and learned that they visit it all day. I would have been there at first light and not moved tell they came to me.
Ok day one no good shooting opurtunity. Day two on the way to a tank(which was dry) I spotted some Oryx at about 1.5 miles. We drove to the tank and planned the stalk. We got to about 8ooyds before they were heading the other way. So we busted butt back to the car(25 minutes) to try driving around them. Just as I got back to the tank there was a small one standing 400yds away. We got to the car and glassed the flat again, I found two more groups of Oryx. Back across we go for 30 min. we found the group to the right and couldnt find the ones to the left. We moved and crawled to about 700 yds before I found the ones to the left and I couldn't move. They anded up seeing me or my girl friend, who was back spotting. They trotted away at about 500yds. They all(13) ran way out close to the road.
So back to the car and tank. As we got close to the tank three good Oryx took off running from darn near on top of the tank. I got off a trotting shot at them that we both said was a hit and I thought was a very good shot. They were not alarmed and stopped but I had to keep on the same animal and it was behind brush. We thought it was good when only two ran off, but I think the third vannished(which they seem to do)We searched but found no sign of a hit.
We got in the car and went and looked for the group of 13, but could not find them. We decided abut an hour later to go back to the tank een though we had disturbed it a lot. In a minute I said Tracey right in front of us, bedded. Yes, right were we had came from an hour ago there was anohter good Oryx. I rnaged a bush to the right of it at 460. there was a lot of bushes guarding it so I clawled to an area were we thought I could get a 300 yd shot. Just as I got there the Oryx stood up and I dropped down to shoot but had a little rise in the way. It then moved off into the tall brush and the hunt was pretty much ove.
Sorry so long but that's the short version! I am really bummed, but it was a lot of fun and they are a great animal. And yes if I would have stayed at the tank as we had talked about the three Oryx would have practically been eating out of my hand and I most likely would have collected a great animal. Its been years since I missed a big game animal and that hurts but not as much as not being able to hunt Oryx again.

Man that is sad to read in a way and great to read in a way. You had a great time and apparently had a chance to drop one.

Sorry ya didn't put one down but happy ya had a great trip and alot of memories.

Bogey glad to hear you had a blast, you described your hunt just like mine. Hope the info.help a little. You can always apply for a badge hunt now that you have experince. After talking to you I just knew you would post a picture of a 40"

according to there web page you can only apply for a badge hunt if you have not had a once and a life time tag. I all ready checked.

Bogey, don't let it get you down. Those animals are extremely intelligent, and very difficult to hunt, despite popular opinion. My on-range hunt went much like yours, and after several months of depression, I drew an off-range tag. Did pretty darn well, too. You'll get another chance.

offrange.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Feb-10-06 AT 04:21PM (MST)[p]I am from WI and I have really sucked on filing my few tags, have passed a bucnh of smaller animals, out west. I have just started trying to hunt the west. I spent lots of time in the west beating myself up skiing. I seem to think I am getting to old(37) to keep skiing the way I like:)
I did get lots of help from lots of people on MM about the hunt. And company and help that was greatly appreciated from one of the fellow MM members. A great guy that went out of his way to help. I do thank all for the help. It was a great hunt and I hope you all get to do it some day.
Now how the heck do I get an off range tag and tell me more about it. I want to go again!!!!!!!!! Brad

bogey

Sorry to hear you didn't score. I hope the info I sent you helped out. Seems like the oryx are pretty easy to spot but awfully difficult to approach. Like you, I wish I could do my hunt over again, I would've shot a nice bull. I still have a chance to return if my wife can ever draw a tag. She'll be happy 'cause it won't take much to top the one I got.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom