February 2011 Oryx "Top Bull"

B

b_clev

LAST EDITED ON Feb-15-11 AT 09:34PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Feb-15-11 AT 09:24?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Feb-15-11 AT 09:14?PM (MST)

Just back from our Oryx hunt in New Mexico. We had an incredible hunt with Rich from Antler Addiction Outfitters. These guys have a great track record of harvesting trophy animals and we were not disappointed. I have heard that this hunt on the Stallion range is very high pressure but within 20 minutes of the start of the hunt we got out of the crowd and never saw another hunter until we checked out in the evening. First 45 minutes of the hunt we glassed Oryx in the distance and after zooming in with the spotting scope it was confirmed that we were looking at a 39+ inch cow. We put on a stalk but ended up bumping her and never got a shot. I would have been very happy to harvest her but it was very early in the day and I really wanted a bull. We checked out some other areas and glassed up some beautiful animals, if I wouldn't have had a guide I would have gone after these animals but Rich felt we could find bigger. After a 3 mile hike into some rugged country we finally located a bull at 75 yards and dropped him in his tracks with my .300 Win Mag. This was very different from what I expected since I was expecting a 200-400 yard shot. After measuring the bull we came up with 37 inch horns and 7.5 inch bases. We spent some time taking pictures and caping and quartering him out. Sunday morning we came back in and finished getting him out before heading back home to Iowa. He ended up taking top bull for the hunt. He is now at the taxidermist and we had out first taste of Oryx steaks tonight for dinner. Very good tasting!! Antler Addiction Outfitters are very quality guys who work their tails off to make it a fun successful hunt.
5736oryx_hunt_318.jpg

4788oryx_hunt_338.jpg

Congrats on a successful hunt sounds like antler addiction treated you right.Those Oryx are tasty. How about some pics.

b_clev,

Where are you from in Iowa????? I am from Cherokee! I was on Rhodes Canyon with the AAO guys in January and with my buddy from Des Moines. He shot top bull for that hunt at 40" and I shot 2nd cow! Those AAO guys falt get it done....period.

Flymetyme,

$1750.....bargain when you consider it is OIL and the scratches that your truck doesn't have to get while there!

Wow what a great looking animal.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

We are located in Orange City which is only 30 minutes from you in Cherokee. I would agree with your statement about AAO, all of those guys make it happen and they treat it as if it was their own OIL tag.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-18-11 AT 01:02AM (MST)[p]I was a bit under the weather on this hunt!

Hey it was still a blast no matter what. Just adds another memory to the story. Hope you are feeling better and that the Ibex hunt went well.

Congrats on a great bull! I was on the same hunt as you but with a Broken-horn tag. It was a great weekend with perfect weather. The hunt was challenging but very fun!

Congrats again on the top bull!

Travis

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom