Federal Primers

bragabit

LAST EDITED ON Apr-05-12 AT 11:53AM (MST)[p]Is there any real difference between 215 and 215M primers? The load I was told shot good in in the gun I just bought called for Federal 215 primers. I have a bunch of 215M primers that I shoot in my ultra mag. Am I OK to use the 215M in place of the 215. From what I can tell searching the internet the M is for match and they just have tighter standards. There should be very little difference in pressure and velocity between the two. What is your opinion?

Also, Is it generally better to use a Large Rifle Mag. primer for Retumbo? Or is a regular Large Rifle sufficient? Thanks

LAST EDITED ON Apr-05-12 AT 04:57PM (MST)[p]I think if you look at the reload book it will tell you which primer to use....usually a mag primer for a mag rifle. and standard primer for the standard calibers.

The 215M is the match version of the 215. It is supposed to be more consistent and also is a little more expensive. They are interchangeable.
A lot of serious shooters like the 215M.

"They are interchangeable..."

Really?? Even with Max loadings? I was told different, "M" for magnum not "match" and they needed their own work-up. i already learned a bunch today but what the heck, guess i learned something else.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Federal 210 = Large rifle
Federal 215 = Large rifle magnum

The "M" stands for match..

Load 10 rounds, shoot a couple groups and confirm the groups and pressure signs, you should be good..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Some claim better accuracy with the match primers. (They are made in every application) I've shot identical loads with the match primers and with the standards in a few different cartridges, and the differences were neglidgeable, at least to me. mtmuley

Same here mtmuley,
I have been comparing 215M's and CCI 250's in my 7mm Rem Mag.
The CCI 250's are about 75 fps slower but velocity spreads are much lower and accuracy is just as good if not better. May just be the bullet/powder/primer combo but so far in my testing the CCI's are better. I can add a grain or so of powder and get the velocity back.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom