Federal Trophy Copper

greatwestern

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Jul-11-13 AT 09:01PM (MST)[p]Does anyone have any experience with the stuff at the range or in the field?

Two of my rifles really love the Hornady GMX mono, but I found a pretty nice deal on the Federals...however, can't find much objective info about this projectile's performance

Thanks, and Cheers mates

I'm usually full of opinions when it come to bullet selection but I don't know anything about the "Federal Trophy Copper". Is it a creation of their own or are they using someone else's bullet like they've done in the past?
Good luck GW.
Zeke

LAST EDITED ON Jul-12-13 AT 09:07AM (MST)[p]GW, Don't know about the trophies,but I have been using Federal Vital-shok w/Barnes 165's in my Rem 700 -06 for years now. Shoots great groups. Foul the barrel before going hunting. I tried the 180's but they shoot off where they are dialed in for 165's.So without having to redial in my scope I just go with the 165's. They drop elk and deer.
Getting some of the new GMX Accubands and Noslers to try,but think I will stay with what works great in my rifle.

GREAT LOAD & BULLET......I NOW SHOOT THE TROPHY COPPER GREEN TIP NON TOXIC. THE COPPER BULLETS SHOOT WELL OUT OF ALL MY GUNS, BUT SOME HUNTERS JUST DONT WANT TO GIVE IN I GUESS SO THE BULLETS GET BAD MOUTHED. THEY DEVASTATE ANIMALS......I HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS.......................YD.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-12-13 AT 12:30PM (MST)[p]Cheers guys :)

I did find some customer reviews on Cabela's site, which were all very positive. And I agree with you YD, all my experiences with copper monos have been great, I don't mind going unleaded one bit ;)

Hank, you might try some Superperformance 165 gr GMX loads from Hornady for the '06...if I remember correctly, they leave the muzzle around 130fps quicker than the Federal/Barnes 165's, and have performed great out of my own and some buddies '06s. I first used the Super in my 7mag shooting the 139gr pill, and after a quick POI adjustment, it printed 3 shot group that could hide under a nickel. I was impressed, and have been very happy with its performance on game as well. I also like Nosler's Accubonds very much. Haven't shot Barnes myself (except for saboted mz slugs), but have had many hunters use them in various configurations, and they've generally performed just fine in the field.

I'm not sure if its Federal's own or not Z-man, but I did notice that the Barnes seem to have been largely dropped from the Federal line up, and replaced by the trophy copper. A bit like the TB Bearclaw seemed to have been largely replaced by the TB Tip a couple years back?

Anyway, I ordered 80 rounds (32 bucks a box!)of this Trophy Copper business for a 7 win shorty I have coming, and I guess I'll have to give it a run and report back how it goes eh!

Thanks again for feedback brothers

GW,
Ya, the reason Fed dropped the Barnes is because Barnes was bought by the same folks who own Remington. Hence, Federal wanted to do their own thing and not be tied to someone who had ties to Rem.
Oh, the things that happen in the world of big business! LOL

Good luck bro!
Zeke

My neighbor just got some of those GMX accubonds 180's GW and I will be ordering some 165's. I have 2 boxes of the Noslers at local store to pick up.
Didn't know my Fed/Barnes where a collectors item...shows how out of it I have been,but they group 3@5/8"@100yrds and I still have 4 boxes
And I don't need to shoot a box to check the gun for a hunt,usually just 6 and I'm good to go again.100&200yrds.
And so far just one is needed to put an animal down,contrary to what alot of folks spout about copper. Good clean kills with minimal meat damage. My boxes of lead stock are now back up for 2 legged varmits.....
GW, pm sent.

Ya Z, I can't keep track of all the renaming/revamping, who bought whom, etc...for instance, I always thought Speer made the Trophy Bonded stuff (bearclaws/sledgehammers)? Kinda like what is the difference between Winnie's Accubond "CT" and the good ol regular Nosler??? I have NO idea...well, as long as bullets/cartridges perform well, I don't really care who makes em or what the heck they're called ;)

I guess I haven't heard the "spouting" about the copper, Hank buddy...not sure what you mean? Will check messages, hope you're well!

And I do think this place has been missing a bit of color since I checked in lately, so here are a few copper/guilding metal one shot kills for ya at ranges from 110 to 642 yards:

8319battlehorse1.jpg

7mm Rem Mag, Hornady 139gr GMX @ 110 yards...Taos Pueblo, September 2012

6441img_2326.jpg

.257 Weatherby Mag, Barnes 100gr TSX @ 415 yards...Hatchet Mountains, October 2012

6184img_3639.jpg

.300 RUM, Barnes 180gr TSX @ 237 yards...Taos Pueblo, May 2013

5642polo_i.jpg

7mm WSM, Hornady 139gr GMX @ 642 yards...Tajikistan, February 2011

^this ram was killed with the rifle my buddy's sending me...it seems to like lead-free bullets just fine :)

Cheers everyone

I'll go lead free if I ever have to. I've used lead free bullets. They dont kill faster, fly flatter or are any more accurate than other bullets. I guess they will satisfy the huggers....for awhile. mtmuley

^Right on Muley...and what the hell does that have anything to do with this thread?

Hank, please forgive my dyslexia, I reread your post and now understand what you were saying :)

Cheers

I haven't used the exact mono bullet mentioned, but have used monos. OP was asking for opinions on a mono. I gave one. mtmuley

I've shot a traincar load of game with the Barnes X bullets in various configurations. They are the only lead-free bullets that I have used. I have used them effectively on coyotes, pronghorn, deer, sheep, mtn goat, caribou, elk, bear and moose.

I'm not much of a tree-hugger but I really like the performance of the Barnes bullets and they have made 1 shot kills from -60 yards to 729 yards (not "spray and pray").

I still have no good info for you on the Fed copper but I can't see why they wouldn't work just fine... if you rifle likes them.

Nice photos GW. You're nice to share and spice things up a little.

Zeke

The Federal Copper have a great BC.
Seems way better than the Barnes bullets.
I am going to try them soon.

Awe GW,
Those photos just stiffened the hair on my back (only place it grows now days)!

Like Z-man I too have no experience using those pills, but our old friend Jack would tell you if you know exactly where it's goin and it holds together, then it's worth shootin. It sounds like they meets his criteria.
I still need to get his book back to ya. I assume you are back in Lobo land?

By the way, congrats on another great ram.

I use the 150 grain Trophy Copper in my Tikka 7mm Rem. Mag. and it works perfectly for Idaho whitetails and muleys. Couldn't be happier.

I've shot them at the range only and they are very accurate(300 Win Mag 180 TC)While waiting for some powder to work up a load I bought a couple boxes of these.

I've yet to chrono these as they are said to shoot 2960 fps. All I know is they shoot much better than the Doubletap 180 Accubonds I was hoping to hunt with.

I would load these for sure if I could get the bullets.

Here is the Bull I just shot last weekend in NV using Federal 180gr Trophy Copper factory rounds in my 300 Weatherby magnum. One shot right through his neck on right side and dropped him and end of hunt. No big exit hole on left either.....just hard finding the ammo in stores now so these 2 boxes will be fine till I find some more.

4428nvbull05.jpg

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

Brian i have been ordering mine from Gander mountain.
Shot my Elk at 540 yards with them this year by far the longest shot i have attemped.

I normally use Remington Core-Lok's in my .30-06 but this year the cheapest box of 180 gr. I found in stock was Federal Trophy Copper. needless today shot my buck at 100 yards and thumped him hard and dropped him like a rock!

Don't pass on the first day if you would shoot it the last day

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom