feeling ambitious

GLEDEASY

Now that school is out for the summer, I want to fill my regular homework time with a project. I have a some mule deer antlers that I want to try and mount myself. Have never done anything like this before and may be getting myself over my head, but I want to give it a try anyway. I'm trying to do as much research as I can to figure it out. I know there are a lot of smart and helpful MMers out there. Any tips or helpful hints for the process would be appreciated. I first need to get some supplies to get started, does anyone have a good place to get a cape, forms, etc?

Wow Thats alot to just dive into but hey thats how a lot of guys got started. I would recommend getting some books or videos if your going to teach yourself try going to www.taxidermy.com or taxidermy.net just surf the web you will find something Good luck man

I will second that, go to www.taxidermy.net , there is a ton of information in the begginers section of the forum. You can check out the classifieds also. There are plenty of capes for sale in there also. Good luck !! And have fun!

Thanks for the help. That website has been a big help. Hopefully I can get started sooner rather than later, but I guess I can only go as fast as the money becomes available. Looking at capes for sale I've noticed that some are tubed and others are cut all the way down the neck. Would you suggest one over the other? Obviously tubed would lead to a lot less sewing, any other advantages? Another question do you guys have a preference on the size of the cape when you're looking to buy one?

Cut, tubed, it done matter, you'll need to cut it anyway to mount. Just get a good cape that you think looks good.

When you get a cape, you'll need to get a few measurements off it to order the correct form. Most of the online taxi supply shops will have the chart online and definitely in the catalogs. Call all of them and request a free catalog.

When you get the catalogs you'll see they sell instructional videos. A $15 video would be a great way to start from scratch if you don't have a taxi friend to look over his shoulder.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom