FERRIS FIRE

chipc

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Aug-07-12 AT 08:14AM (MST)[p]Those of us who have spent years trying to get a unit 22 Elk or 87 deer tag - and finally did - now have a significant issue to deal with. Over the past several days the fire has burned about 9,000 acres on the east end of the Ferris mountains. Some of the best public land area in the unit for both deer and elk has burned. The fire is now 67% contained. Check it out on inciweb.org

Should improve the habitat...as far as this years hunts, just the way it goes. A smart hunter will take full advantage of any situation and also be adaptable.

It was burning pretty good last Friday, column was very visible from I-80 near Rawlins.

A G&F biologist recently stated when its extinguished, they're wanting to get in and assess how hot the fire got. Too hot and the habitat will be ruined for a number of years. Their concern seems to be for the sheep they transplanted in there.

Receieved a letter in the mail yesterday stating about G&F doing controlled burns this fall, October and November. I wonder if this will change their plans as they stated the east side of the unit is what they plan on burning. I find it intriguing though how they have bighorns planted and now they need a prescibed burn. Apparently the deer and elk aren't near as important? Either way a burn is good.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."

I understand the importance of being flexible and adapting to different circumstances. There are many natural disasters that could affect a hunt. However, none with a greater impact than fire. When its a max points unit that you likely won't draw again for a long time it also changes your perspective somewhat. Oh well, probably better now than October 14th !

Another good reason to do away with point systems...

If it were me, I'd be hunting that burn come October...just sayin'.

I agree! With just a little moisture before your hunt, that may just be the spot to hunt come the middle of October. We had one come thorugh our area a few years ago in early August and it was amazing how green the low stuff was in just a few weeks and the deer and elk really hit it.

If the fire burned a somewhat mosaic pattern on it's way,those critters will be right there in those pockets the fire missed,guaranteed.Like TG said-a little rain and you've got fresh green growth where it did burn(as long as it didn't scorch earth).Pretty amazing how quickly the critters adapt to those burned areas.

Last year a fire burned roughly half of the unit I drew here in NM. It burned for the better part of a month. During archery season the elk were all over that burn!....However, I did need to keep an eye out for falling trees!

Unfortunately this fire burned very hot with very little mosaic. It came off the mountain under a couple of extreme wind events and burned some country that would have normally never carried fire. It covered much of the area that was planned for prescribed burning, but under very different conditions than are desired. A prescribed burn in March, April, or October would have been much more desirable and would have benefitted habitat for all big game (for far less cost) but unfortunately will not happen now. These are the driest conditions seen in recent memory in this area.

BTW, no bighorn sheep have been transplanted into the Ferris range recently, although 60+ are now in the Seminoes next door where another fire just recently ripped through a different area planned for prescribed burning.

Another 500 acre+ fire is reaching containment on Green Mountain immediately to the west.

Very tough summer in south central Wyoming.

last time I was on ferris mnt there were domestic sheep on that big rock stripe on the S side, unless things have changed planting bighorns would be a bad idea.

Been up there the past couple of days and half of the north slope was burned from the river to about Peter's Creek. Pretty clean burn too. Fire is out now.

The letter I received from the G&F mentioned Big Horns in the Ferris Mountains so this is where my info is coming from not a rumor mill.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."

The letter you talked about refers to possible future releases, there haven't been any bighorns released in the Ferris Mountains.

Domestic sheep permits were converted to cattle about 10 years past.

Peter's Creek?

Actually about 3,500 acres in the in the Seminoes (unit 111 Elk) also burned about 3 weeks ago - just before the Ferris Fire. Go on inciweb.com and look for wyoming fires. You can find the fire and the perimeters. Sounds like they've gotten a little rain but still aweful dry. Cross your fingers for no more fires.

there actually were a few bighorn sheep up there on Ferris back in the 80's.

Pat C.

NOW CASPER MOUNTAIN IS BURNING
its burned 15,800 acers
the road and muddy mountain is closed so 66 deer {like there were any left} and 19 elk bowhunters can't go up there.
several houses have burned.

35 homes and cabins burned two county parks and 20 out buildings in the casper mountain fire.
its now 100% contained

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom