Finally, Moose Hunt Success!!!

30Hart

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Oct-17-13 AT 11:32AM (MST)[p]After three trips to Wyoming, bad weather (two blizzards), bridge closures on the only road leading into the northern wilderness section, hunting for a bull that was already killed the day before I arrived, I finally took the bull of my dreams on the 15th of October. Tracked him up 1.5 miles in the fresh snow after finding his track crossing the Forest Service Road and sealed the deal at 40 yards in the heavy brush. One shot to the spine and he dropped in his tracks. Thanks go out to all those that helped...pymulies on this site, the Lander Moose biologist Stan Harter, the Lander Game Warden Brad, and my good friend from Shosone Steve Lefforge. Special thanks to my daughter, her boyfriend Dre, and my good friend George who accompanied me on these hunts.

3859a.jpg

512b.jpg

3423c.jpg

1215d.jpg

Can I ask what unit as I've hunted elk near lander and had a couple of moose encounters? That's a heck of a moose.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-17-13 AT 06:56PM (MST)[p]Thanks guys, I appreciate the kind remarks! Just got the horns back from the taxidermist so I'll finally have a chance to put the tape to him tonight.
7614e.jpg

Finally taped him this morning and I was pleasantly surprised looks like he's got a chance to go Boone and Crockett...we'll see after the drying period. He grossed 142 6/8, 140 3/8 net. He's 40 3/8 wide with longest palm 25 2/8, greatest palm width of 11 3/8, with 6 6/8 bases and he's a 9X9. I'm stoked to get this nice a bull DIY!

Very nice, I leave for Montana in a few weeks to try and find myself a moose. Hopefully I can find something close to yours.

Bill

Nice Job!

So someone shot the bull that I had pictures of? I would have been more than happy with either one!

PY

I just got to hold these antlers. What a stud of of bull. Mass, mass, mass! Thanks for bringing them in 30Hart.

Yes...the moose biologist said a guy in riverton shot it the day before I got there...he had video of the bull and had been watching it.

Well done 30hart! He's a beaut and a brute!
Maybe next year for me???
Thanks for sharing your success with us.
Zeke

Thanks Zeke, just make sure you plan enough time off for it. Didn't figure I'd have to make 3 trips.

Will do.
I've already got 2 trips planned during the hunt and a couple prior the season.
Now I just need that tag.....
Thanks
Zeke

>Finally taped him this morning and
>I was pleasantly surprised looks
>like he's got a chance
>to go Boone and Crockett...we'll
>see after the drying period.
> He grossed 142 6/8,
>140 3/8 net. He's
>40 3/8 wide with longest
>palm 25 2/8, greatest palm
>width of 11 3/8, with
>6 6/8 bases and he's
>a 9X9. I'm stoked
>to get this nice a
>bull DIY!

Are you sure about the palm length? He looks bigger than that to me. Great Bull!

I love him I could not care less what he scores he is very balanced and I love the brows. Great work on a DIY.

Here's a pic of the recovered bullet from the spine. It passed completely through and was hanging on the outside hide of the moose. 114.4 grains left of the 7mm 175 grain Partition for 65% weight retention...perfect Partition performance!

863bullet.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Nov-05-13 AT 08:56AM (MST)[p]Jm77 was right about the palms...I found out I made an error on scoring the right palm...didn't give him enough credit took the smallest length instead of largest length...got messed up on that side because he has 3 brow points...longest palm is 27 6/8 now...he now grosses 147.

Update, after the 60 day drying period my moose scored 145 0/8 net...he'll make the next Boone & Crockett Awards period!

748020131105_221717.jpg

242520131105_221826.jpg

969520131215_184644.jpg

Congrats! You did well. Persistence and adaptation paid off on your hunt. I can't wait to see the finished mount.

Nice bull 30!
I love the long points even though they don't help score. I'd take them for looks long before one with more points that are shorter and scores a little better! Congratulations again.

All this talk about trophy moose hunting makes me wish I had a moose tag this year.....

OH WAIT..... I DO have a moose tag this year!

YEEEE HAAAAA!

Well done Mr 30Hart. I've got to get as copy!

Zeke

Just recently finished a mount for a friend using that exact form. I was pleased with the results, I think this form gives a more accurate Shiras head compared to others I've used.

Have your guy set those ears back, it looks great with the sneak.

Great OIL Shiras bull! Was lucky enough to take my own Canadian 2 years ago in NH.

Member RMEF, Pope & Young Club, NRA, UWC & DP Hate Club

I like the form what is it called? I have a moose to get mounted the taxidermist said I was a little short on the cape so there would be some poses that would not be available. Any ideas on what he is talking about?

Mine includes the start of the lower legs so it uses a regular cape but ive seen some like mine that are shorter and include less of the shoulder...thats what I think he is thinking of.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom