Fire question

spotnstalkID

The area we have been hunting deer and elk the last couple years is VERY close to burning. The fire has burned to within 1.5 - 2 miles of our "spot". Assuming (hoping) it doesn't get any closer over the next few weeks, should I expect game to have moved out of the area because of all the smoke, etc. making it not worth hunting this year? OR, knowing the fire has burned over 75,000 acres so far, would you expect it to be better hunting since I am sure a lot of the animals have been pushed out of the area that has burned and into this area? Anybody run into this in the past? The fire right now is threatening to burn right through the cabin we have been hunting out of if it keeps rolling as it has.

Just trying to make a few decisions on if we should go through with plans to hunt this area this year or not. Anybody know how this will effect our hunt this year (assuming the fire never reaches our exact area, only getting close)???

Thanks for any responces.
Jaxon

Jaxon, We had a 64000 acre fire here about 10 yrs ago and it burned most of our hunting area, what we found was in areas that the fire burned slowly and didn't kill everything in its path the game was along the fringes rolling in the warm ash within days. In the area that burned fast a lot of game was killed and it was devoid of game for about a year afterwards, its not pretty no matter which way it goe's. we also found that the hunting within 2 yrs was outstanding but after about 6 yrs the second growth covered everything and made it impossible to hunt

It's been my experience, over to many years, that hunting the perimeter of a burn area can be really productive. If your area isn't/wasn't holding resident deer, the animals moving into the area year after year will be confused and remain on the fringes where feed, cover and water are still available.

Get out your maps and look for close areas that are unburned and can provide winter range......deer get real stupid when it comes to fire, especially when it clears their traditional winter range; they starve to death within 2 or 3 miles of suitable habitat every year.

Resident deer can't seem to run from fire very well either, which I have never understood, since they seem to able to put several miles between them and me in a matter of seconds.....why do they burn up?

One other thing, if this is an area you have hunted over the years and intend to do so again, don't pass up the opportunity to view it with NO cover. You will see where those bucks been sneakin' in or out the back door, find natural blind sites and the springs will be immediately visable. Take some notes, pictures and mearurements that will help your odds in the future.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom