Fire Starters

S

Slide

Hey guys, I wanted to know if anyone is using those Trioxane Bars for fire starters and if so do you know where I can get some? I was buying them from Sportsman Guide but they don't carry them anymore.

Also, I wanted to know if I can't get the Trioxane Bars then what do you guy's use or reccommend I try? If I can't get the Trioxane then I need to find a new fire starter.

Thanks alot,

Slide

I've never used them myself, but I hear that cotton balls soaked with petroleum jelly are supposed to be fantastic fire starters. Scott

LAST EDITED ON Oct-23-07 AT 04:46PM (MST)[p]I just bought a Swedish Firesteel before the hunting season.

It will supposedly last 12,000 strikes. I used it this year and it is awesome. I know that is not what you were asking about but you can get it for $15 off of thinkgeek.com

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/tools/754d/

Cabelas Link

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...1&Ntt=firesteel&QueryText=firesteel&noImage=0
As I said I used it in the snow to start a fire a few weeks ago and just used it on some pitch and toilet paper and it started right up.

Hey, thanks alot guys I appreciate the advice and tips. I think I might have found a web site where I can order the Trioxane Bars.

Thank you

Slide

I have a number of problems with the Trioxane bars. First, that is some nasty stuff and the fumes it gives off are toxic. Those were developed to heat water in canteen cups in the Vietnam war era. They are fragile. The packaging can develop cracks and then the bars dry out. They are also vulnerable to wind and frankly don't put out a great deal of heat. Personally, I don't like them.

Fire is a big deal so I make sure I am loaded up. I always carry a Zippo lighter in my pocket, and a Light My Fire flint and steel, Life Boat water proof/wind proof matches, Lightnin Bug Fire starter nuggets, and Tinder-Quik fire tabs in a zip lock bag in my pack. If you really want a great fire stater, road flares are the best but they are heavy and smokey. You can cut them in half though to save weight. But trust me you can start a fire in a blizzard with a road flare.

Good luck and take care.

Wade
hardcoreoutdoor.com

I have poured melted wax on rolled up cardboard for a cheap home made fire starter and it works great with very few deer alerting perfume aromas. driftersifter

Yes cheap and the rest of it goes this way.
Old tuna can. Cardboard cut to same width as tuna can is tall. Roll cardboard as tightly as you can and place in sideways inside tuna can until it looks like a grill. Insert one full candle in center of roll up. Fill with melted wax to the top of tuna can. Store entire unit in 1 lb. coffee can with holes pushed into the top open side of the coffee can. A few should be pushed into the top next to the uncut side of the can, so that the flames will vent. The size of the coffee can is everyone's perogative to make it bigger or smaller depending on what you want to pack and this will act as a grill or heater to really focus the heat.

Another tried and true tactic that I completely forgot about is: Get a new type of snuff can that is plastic fill with packed lint from your own clothes dryer, soak in diesel, or kerosene. Tinder and an accelerant all in one. You could also tape one of these to the back of another so that you had a waterproof place to put matches or a Zippo/ butane flame thrower.
Scott

We have been making our own fire starters for years. We save the lint from the dryer and then pack it in divots in empty cardboard egg cartons. Then you melt parafin wax and pour it over the lint in the divots. Let it set up and then break the carton up into twelve indivdual fire starters. These things work great and take up very little room. I've always got a couple in my pocket when out roaming the woods.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom