Fire

BPKHunter

Very Active Member
I was up scouting for deer and elk for this year. Found and was watching a nice herd of Elk. Not much deer, but glassing was tough because of the "haze" from all the fires.

Sat ~4pm a thunderstorm rolls through, I consider dropping off the mountain, but just rode it out in my tent. 40 minutes later while following a herd of elk, I look back down the trail I came up and a heavy plume of smoke is coming off the mountain below me, just off the trail I came up. In my Bino's I see at leat 50 acres of dark timber and slash burning with 50 foot flames. About then a forest service guy blazes by me on a bike to get to a view point. I pack up camp, in a real hurry and bail down the hill. Run into Forest Service guy on my way down. He said he called for "air support". He also said, current currently 100% of lightening strikes start a fire due to conditions. Helicopter and fixed wing planes already surveying it. No water drops at that point, which I was hoping for.

Hike down and by it, I am relieved it seems to not be "running", luckily no wind to push it. I left and came home, but can't find any info other than Statesman report of 23 new fires yesterday. I already lost one of my go to late season wintering grounds, which will hurt the herd this winter. Sure wish we could get a good dump of rain, sans the electrical storm. I parked by the road heading my way up out of the Anderson Ranch canyon watching an amazing lightening storm in then clouds to the East and North.

I know it may help some or most areas in the long run, but was seriously scary and sad for all the lost hunting grounds and habitat for today here in South Central Idaho.

That must have been a hectic experience. That haze makes it impossible to glass in the late evening, at least until the sun goes down. The fire should show up on the GEOMAC site by the end of the day.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom