Firewood time!

eelgrass

Long Time Member
It's that time of year. Does everybody have in their winter supply of firewood? The sawmill where I work is very generous, in that the employees have free reign of the scrap pile. Most of the scraps are chipped and sold to the pulp mill. Here is my firewood.(Douglas Fir) Let's see yours. Note the "trophy" blacktail racks on the wood shed:)

432cad3d6ed77b32.jpg

They say making firewood is good for the soul. I don't know about that, but splitting the last piece sure is!

432cae3d6f93ba29.jpg

Steve,

Nice wood pile and glad it is yours, I haven't had a fire in the fireplace here in probably close to 20 years. Damn fireplace here is good if you sit right in front of it or close all of the doors to keep the heat in the room. A fireplace is a waste of wood and heat, it mostly goes up the chimmey or at least mine does.
I just walk down the hall and turn the little lever to 65* and leave it.
But the wife and I are the only ones here and neither of us like it hot in the house, always have a window open a slight bit to get fresh air.
Is that all 4x4 fir or pine or a combo of others too?

Up there I know the weather is diferent than down here, but we do get into the "teens" a number of times during the winter and a lot of frost.
Stay warm and keep that trigger finger limber and flexable. LOL

Brian

Wow! You are really good with that axe!
Bust them up all square and pretty like that! LOL

You could build an extension to your house!

Chef
"I Love Animals...They're Delicious!"

You're kidding right? Seems like I must enjoy cutting wood with snow on the ground. At least I don't sweat too much. Ash and oak are the best but mostly burn elm.

A fireplace really isn't very efficient. Many years ago we had an insert installed. A free standing stove would be even better. It doesn't get real cold here on the coast, but lots of rain and fog. The dry heat of wood helps with all the dampness.

Chef, I try to be selective and get the wood that doesn't need to be split. 4x4, 4x6, 3x6, are just right. I'm spoiled (lazy?) allright:)

Steve

Growing up we had a free standing Blaze King fireplace with a blower that kept the whole basement warm. Nothing better than a nice toasty fire on a cold night. Now I live in AZ and my first house here had a fireplace. Had one fire and my wife complained about the smokey smell. What a waste of a fireplace that was.

I grew up with a firewood stove and firewood cutting was just a chore that needed to be done evrey year. And I still love getting firewood-its good exercise to watch the wife run the power saw and load firewood in the back of the pickup while I'll sit, drink beer and supervise. HEHEHE. By the way, we cut 90 cords of firewood this year.

Old Indian saying"Gonna be a hard winter-look at the Whiteman's huge woodpile"

Longun

OLD INDIAN SAYING:GONNA BE LONG HARD WINTER-LOOK AT Longuns WIFE AFTER 90 CORDS OF WOOD!!!

THE ONLY bobcat THINKING WOOD AIN'T CHEAP ANYMORE,WELL FOR MOST OF US ANYWAY!!!

LAST EDITED ON Sep-19-05 AT 04:02PM (MST)[p]90 cords?!
Do you sell it or just stockpiling for the holocaust?
Best wood to burn, Cedar.
Oak is good too but a little ashy, cottonwood is also good but really dirty.
Aspen is great but burns really fast.

Got about 3 or 4 cords ready to go for the cooler months ahead. I don't know about some of you but I enjoy going out woodcutting. I love the smell of smoke out of the chimney reminds me of camping.

Longun & Bess, LOL. Cracked me up!:) 90 cords is serious firewood!

Polarbear, 12 cords of balsa wood is good! How long will that last? About a week? LOL

YD, what kind of wood do you burn? I like to mix in some Madrone when available. By available, I mean it fell across the road and I had to cut it up anyway.:)

Steve

EEL, I BURN ALMOND AND PINE MOSTLY. ALMOND IS A HEAVY WOOD MUCH LIKE OAK, IN OUR AG VALLEY ALMOND IS EVERYWHERE TO BE HAD.I"LL MAKE A RUN TO THE HIGH COUNTRY AND CUT A LOAD OF PINE EVERY SUMMER. YOUR STACK LOOKS REAL CLEAN, BUT I HAVE NEVER SEEN A STACK IN MY LIFE LIKE LITTLEFOOTS STACK. GO BACK AND VIEW HIS WOOD PILE IN HIS ELK PICS, IMPRESSIVE. YD.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom