First Antelope

O

ohngren

LAST EDITED ON Aug-22-09 AT 10:00AM (MST)[p]Here is my monster antelope I took on the second day. lol. He is a whopping 10 3/4 long with 1 1/2 inch prongs. I missed a P&Y buck the day before and several others bigger than the buck I took, but had alot of bow trouble. Has anyone ever sighted in with one arrow and then find out that it is the only arrow that will fly true??? All my other arrows missed by not only inches, but feet. None of the arrows flew true to the one I had sighted in. If one arrow missed 3 feet to the left, it consistently missed 3 feet to the left. If the other hit 3 feet to the right it consistently hit 3 feet to the right. So each arrow was consistent with itself but not with the one I sighted in with. Lesson learned, test all the arrows before shooting them. The only thing we can figure is the broadheads were causing the problem. Any insight on this?????
Anyhow, second day I sighted in with one arrow and went out after my lope. We found this one and I was able to drill him through the chest at 50 yards. The hunt was super fun, super frustrating and I super super want to do it again!

photo is http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/User_files/4a9015c458bf5fe1.jpg

photo is http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/User_files/4a9015f5597d9c71.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Aug-22-09 AT 11:08AM (MST)[p]Sounds like despite your frustrating equipment problems, you had a super time, and that, my friend, is really what it comes down to!

I am by far a neophyte when it comes to archery, but it sounds like perhaps something is hitting the arrow rest?? I could see how that might 'throw' an arrow right and left.

I have to ask, given the nice trees in the background....was this on the Pauns?

Pred

ohn,

1st of all, Congrats on a nice goat! Nothing wrong with that guy! He will look good on the wall!

Now, as for your broadhead flight. It sounds to me like you are bouncing off your rest as my friend Pred suggested. Did your arrows paper tune with field tips?? Did you tune your broadheads?

What seems very odd to me is that they are planeing in different directions consistently per arrow. That tells me you have some very serious issues with either your arrow straightness, or your inserts are not 100 percent true causing your broadheads to point off target coming out of the arrow.

I would suggest 2 things. #1 go straight to a pro shop and have your bow and arrows examined. Something is definitely out of whack. You may have under or over spined arrows. Have them spin test your arrows with your broadheads on them. #2 Shoot your broadheads through paper. You must tune your broadheads just like your field tips. Dedicate 1-2 of them to practice. Shoot them at all distances and verify flight before the hunt. Then set them aside or replace their blades for hunting. And a good rule of thumb is always sight in with at least 3 arrows. That way you see consistency through more than 1.

If you are in the salt lake area feel free to e-mail me and I can try to help you more either over the phone or in person.

[email protected]

Congrats again on a fine trophy.

Chad

I am also a member of your club. My bow worked just fine but I took a somewhat small Antelope. My story also had some frustrating times (I couldn't hear my son trying to tell me there was a group of 15 bucks near the waterhole when I took my shot (ear bud was malfunctioning). In the end I am very happy - I had a great experience with my son and the experience is the most important thing.

You did good man !!!

You are correct. It was the Mt. Dutton Paunsagaunt hunt. Excellent hunt. Loved it!!!!!!!!!!

Well another week of Archery hunting has gone by!!!!!!!! I find myself out of archery tags now. :( I went to cabelas and bought a drop away rest to replace my whisker biscuit. Then headed out Elk hunting. My dad gave me 6 mechanical broadheads in case it was my broadheads causing the problem and not the arrow rest. So I arrived Monday night and met with my buddy. I told him I would not be joining on the morning hunt and that I needed to play with the bow. When I woke up I first shot my broadheads. Just as before even with the new rest each arrow flew different, yet consistent with themselves. So......I put on the mechanicals. PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!! Perfect flight. Time to hunt. I went out that night....nothing. Next morning.....nothing.....My buddy however was getting in to them every time, so I knew it was only a matter of time. Wednesday night......ELK!!!!! I explored a new area and was slowly working the trail while cow calling and I began to hear mews ahead of me. Soon i began to see elk crossing a clearing 150 yards in front of me. One problem. I called in a calf to my side without realizing it. I was paying so much attention to the elk in front of me that I didn't see a calf come out of the trees on my left until she was 15 yards from me. Lets just say we both made eye contact at the same time. lol She bolted and joined the herd. The herd circled around and up the hill. Leaving me without any elk to kill. However my buddy shot a spike that night. Thursday morning....searched for spike.....found NOTHING!!! Talk about disappointment. Thursday night....nothing. Can you see my pattern. lol Friday I packed up my wife and kids and we headed off the mountain for family obligations Saturday afternoon. After being home about an hour I told my wife that it was killing me being home during the weekend. She said, well lets get our butts back up there tomorrow then. So after our family thing we were gone. I hunted saturday night.....nothing. Sunday morning, rain. The weather kept getting worse so we decided to pack up. As we headed out we saw an awesome camping spot that had just become available. Then the skies cleared up...Translation....ELK HUNTING. We set up the trailer and I headed out. I decided to check an area on top of a mountain where I have found elk on the very top several years in a row. I hiked up the trail and just before I came over the top I smelled the elk. It was strong. I knew they were close or had just been there. I slowly worked my way over the top and boom, there they were just 60 yards in front of me. I knelt down and put my range finder on the closest cow. 55 yards. I slowly checked the surrounding area. I had 2 cows to her right, one behind her and a small spike with some cows to her left at about 80 yards. As I knelt there trying to decide if I wanted to take a 55 yard shot the cow turned towards me and began walking my way. She stopped and began to feed again...42 yards. Perfect. Just as I was about to pick my bow up she began walking my way......35 yards and broadside. I lifted my bow and as i began to draw she looked my way. I lowered my head so the brim of my hat covered my face. She looked for about 2 seconds and began feeding. I drew, aimed, released and BOOM. All the elk were gone in a flash. Including the one with an arrow sticking out of her chest!!!!! When I began tracking it was as if someone just walked down the mountain with a can or red spray paint. I walked right to her. She only made it 133 feet before piling up!!!! So needless to say it has been a wonderful bow season for me!!!!

http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/User_files/4a95c16565275df1.jpg

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom