first archery buck (rubies)

nate1982

LAST EDITED ON Jan-16-13 AT 10:24PM (MST)[p]i could not figure out how to post pics on this forum so follow the link to my facebook page and you can see all the pics there.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.457427237622123.118666.100000645518504&type=3

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.457427237622123.118666.100000645518504&type=3#!/photo.php?v=457417080956472&set=vb.100000645518504&type=3&theater

Well this last year started out and myself and a few buddies really wanted to expand our hunting oppurtunities into another state. After extensive research and looking through all options we decided that nevada would be perfect because of the early archery season that would not effect our oregon hunts.

After putting in and patiently waiting we where very dissapointed on the discovery that we did not draw any tags. But after a while they posted the leftover tags and we figured that the second chance draw could not hurt our chances with over 650 tags left over from the resident draw for units 101-108 (ruby mountains) after the excruciatig wait we finnaly got our successful draw notices and it was time to plan for our hunt which was less then a month away.

Our only means of scouting where google earh and information from a few locals because of such a short time between the tag drawing and the begining of the hunt. Needless to say we got a few tips from a couple guys from the area that really helped us in deciding where to go and what to look for.

So our adventure began on 8-8-2012, we decided to get into our hunting area a day early to scout because it was 8 miles from the trailhead and we had never been there before. After traveling 8 miles with our 50lbs packs we arrived at our camping spot which was along a creek in a remote canyon. We then spent the next few days glassing and locating bucks to hunt opening morning. the scenery and sunsets where amazing!!

When the big day arrived we started spotting in our favorite spot that had been producing bucks from the start, each morning that we glassed from this spot we located anywhere from 10-20 bucks!!! As the morning started to reveal itself we started to pick out bucks in the highcountry, first it was a nice 4 point feeding by himself, then it was a bacheoler herd of 8 bucks feeding up a hillside. while waiting for these bucks to bed down and produce a stalking situation i located a monster!! he was not a truley great scoring buck but he was 3x4 and had to be about 30 inches wide, as he fed i noticed another smaller 3 point feeding with him. i watched these bucks for a long time until the smaller 3 point bedded ina cave and the larger buck bedded close by under a tree. I decided that this was my chance and started to work my way over the long distance to get in postion. as i approached 200 yards i noticed that the big buck was going to be a problem if he decided to look my way because he had a clear view of my hillside, the smaller buck being in a cave did not pose a problem. i slowly worked along the cliff edge and found myself at 48 yards from the cave opening, although this spot was good i was not comfortable with that distance of a shot and proceeded to do some cliffhanger maneuvering to get closer. I eventually got directly above the smaller buck and about 30 yards from the bigger one which i had no shot on because of branches. With the sun beating down and on me i decided to get even closer to the big buck and in between them both so that i was assured a shot at whichever buck stood first. As i waited the wind decided to swirl wildly and spook the bigger buck, not letting this discourage me i made up my mind and proceeded to the cave edge to wait for my chance at the 3x3. i was no more then 5 yards from this buck and i could see his muzzle and the front antlers as he lay in the mouth of the cave. i decided that i was going to try and get him up by throwing rocks which i was told would not work, and it did not come close. I watched every time as he would just look at the tumbling rocks before him. And then it happened, on about the 15th try i actually hit him in the side of the head and i knew it was time, as the buck shook his head in disgust i drew my bow, he stood and stepped out to go find a safer bed and i shot him through the heart at 4 yards. it was a quick clean kill and i finally have my first archery buck.

We stayed in the canyon an extra 2 days to see if my buddy could bag and tag another buck, he had oppurtunities but was unsuccesful in the end. On the way out we learned how hard back country hunts are after we packed close to 10 miles with 100lbs on our backs, as we reached the last pass we decided to take a picture before we returned to civilization.

after that hike out i truely feel that i earned that buck!!! All i can say is hunt of a lifetime!!!!

Nice...I saw your pics over on ifish...after hunting that country would you what would be your recomendation to a guy who is interested in the late rifle hunt...my worries are access....I know its high elevation do you think access would be tough that time of year...I have been building a few points and that hunt is on the radar...

my understanding is that the late hunt is all weather dependent. but i dont think they are hunting as deep as we where because the deer move to there rutting grounds that time of year, where i live it does not matter if we get snow or not the bucks move to the does when its time to breed.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom