first archery bull

overkill

LAST EDITED ON Sep-11-14 AT 10:02AM (MST)[p]Posting this for my brother. This is his first
Archery kill ever and took this bull on opening morning at 87 yards. Curious to hear what you all think he may score...

Sorry about the picture, having trouble trying to rotate it.
4551test.jpg

Nice big bull. How wide?

Judging by all the bird poo looks like it sat out a week before he found it, probably due to the 87 yard shot lol

^ Exactly what I was thinking. 87 yards is way beyond the distance I would shoot an elk with archery equipment. IMO just a bad idea and you would more than likely wound the animal and find it days later with all the meat spoiled like the above post pointed out. But Im not one to say what's too far to shoot an animal ethically. We all have our maximum ranges with our setup. And who knows they may have just had the head outside at camp for a few days. Just saying it don't look good.

If you guys are gonna ridicule him about shooting that far bring it to me. I shot my bull last year 30 yards farther than that. Double lung heart shot. Bad decision with a good out come. Sometimes you just get lucky. I did get a sight with less pins this year so I won't be tempted to shoot that far.

elkfanatic..... I will bring it to you! I cannot believe what I just read! "Sometimes you just get lucky"???? WHAT?! When you release that arrow especially at that range at an animal you shouldn't be relying on just luck! You should be shooting at ranges where you know your proficient. If 117 yards for you is proficient and you have enough poundage to kill an elk that far then go for it! But no bowhunter should be making "Bad Decisions" on purpose with hoping on luck for it to be a good outcome! You owe it to that animal to make a quick clean kill!

Hey man I made a bad decision. I had so much adrenaline going I didn't even think about it. It was a quick clean kill. I will not be shooting that far ever again. I practice at that distance and I'm confident in making a shot on a target that far with ease. No problem whatsoever. It was a horrible decision I admit it, but either way the bull died in 5 minutes. I don't think I couldve made a better shot at 20 yards. I'm confident out to 70-80 under adrenaline situations. I have been shooting since I was 4. 19 years old at this point. But either way I'm not going to apologize for releasing that arrow. God brought it to the correct spot and I'm proud I made that shot. It wasn't a good idea, but I'd bet you've mad some bad decisions in your life that turned out great.

Hope u mean what u say elkfanatic. We were all young and dumb once, I know I was. Read the book cliffs thread about all the guys losein deer from poor shots, and then they go shoot another. Next they'll b wonderin why there's no deer!

Nice bull either way!!

Let's keep thread on track. Shot distance is a personal judgement call. That's that.

>Nice bull either way!!
>
>Let's keep thread on track. Shot
>distance is a personal judgement
>call. That's that.

Right on ocho. Guys should be allowed to gut shoot as many critters as they want! It's great for the sport in the publics eye!

>>Nice bull either way!!
>>
>>Let's keep thread on track. Shot
>>distance is a personal judgement
>>call. That's that.
>
>
>Right on ocho. Guys should be
>allowed to gut shoot as
>many critters as they want!
>It's great for the sport
>in the publics eye!

Explain to me how my statement = gut shooting? I'm all ears...

If these guys are confident to 120yds they should let it fly! What could possibly go wrong?

That's a big ol bull for sure! Not sure about the score its so hard to give big animals the credit they deserve from pictures, most the time Im off anyhow , but one thing is for sure , that's a big sum buck!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom