First archery elk

Trad Bow 1979

LAST EDITED ON Sep-10-15 AT 01:38PM (MST)[p]So this is not my first elk, but it is my first archery elk which makes it special to me. It turned out to be much harder than I expected it to be, not because it was a bow hunt but because the elk seemed to have moved out of the area the week before the hunt. Fresh sign was scarce as well as the elk. So it went from a plan of Cold and Silent calling to hiking around checking areas for sign and sitting on water holes. I had 7 days to hunt and it took up to the last hour of that 7th day to get this guy. He snuck up behind me while I was watching a water hole. I could hear him sniffing me from a few feet away, then he barked and took off. Once he barked I knew I was burned in that area so I decided to try to make something work. I threw out a few mews to stop him. Once he stopped he looked back but would not turn. So I started some pleading sounds which turned him sideways and got him to start moving laterally so he could check me out. I drew back once he hit the blind spot in the trees and he stopped once he hit the clearing where he saw me. Since I was at full draw I could not range him but my gut said 55 yards. I shot and I heard a loud pow and the arrow bounced back over him in my direction. I thought I shot under him and of course I was upset that after 7 days I blew it. I went to find my arrow and at my suprise I found it covered in dark red blood. It was a heart shot and it went through him with enough force to bounce off a tree. He went 60 yards or less which made him easy to find.

http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos3/674img2511.jpg

The first one is the hardest. From here on out it will get easier for you. Good job in sticking with it. Those last day last hour deals are the best....

LAST EDITED ON Sep-10-15 AT 06:59PM (MST)[p]There's no better eatin elk than a 16 month old bull! Congrats 82nd!

congrats!!! I thought you were on the walking dead when I first saw your pic, lol...jk with you...way to get it done...love how that arrow went in and out so fast and hard that it even had enough left in it to ricochet back...

That a good looking Bull, Going to make some good eating.
Glad the area worked out good for ya.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom