First attempt at a leather sheath

deepforks

i've always wanted to toy around with leather and since my deer and elk seasons are over, i thought why not give it a try, now. picked up a few tools and some scrap leather today and started on a sheath for my havalon piranta. got the front wet formed and just started the drying process in the oven. here are couple pics so far. first mistake made...i formed it with the rough side out!! oh well.

4737002.jpg

4921003.jpg

I ain't seen nothin that Good since AyA tried his hand at a Home made pair of Buffalo Briefs!

Wisz was a Hell of a Sport this year even if He did tell the UDWR to F-Off during the Phone Call!:D
15" Bases?
30" 5ths?
Missing 450" Bull!
The next 4 years is Slicks Fault,again,GEEZUS!
GOOD GAWD A MIGHTY!

just cut out the front and applied the first coat of "british tan" stain. i'll be interested to see how much it lightens up. next i'll burnish and even out the edges. then comes the back piece and belt loop.

860002.jpg

I hope that sheath holds up cause you'll cut your leg off with that knife if it doesn't. lol

let us know how it turns out

who farted?

i love that knife!! cut up two elk and a deer this year. only snapped one blade. got pinched in the ball joint of my bull. i scrapped the first sheath. screwed up and put the rough side out. plus, the dye dried pretty blotchy. just finished wet forming another one. used a much thicker piece and remembered to put the smooth side out this time:) looks much better in my opinion. i'll keep updating as i go. heres the new one.

8180003.jpg

got the "re-do" front piece cut out and stained. not sure about another coat? actually looks pretty need with the darker shades. looks better than the picture shows. has kind of a marbling look. probably due to the leather wasnt uniform in color to begin with. need to true up the edges a bit.

4034001.jpg

so before i finish the sheath, i want to do a couple othe little projects to get the hang of stitching. grabbed a piece of scrap and made the little credit card/i.d. case. figured i'd try my hand at tooling, while i was at it. did a basket weave. it's a little crooked and and the stitching needs work. i rolled it around when the sealer dried and it gave the back an aged look. turned out ok, but i'm glad i didn't make the sheath the first thing i stitched! that tooling work is a bit tricky too. hard to keep those little stamps straight, and right where you want them:)

front
17151125121154.jpg

back
16811125121155.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom