First Buck!

robinsg61le

So? couldn't quite find the stud I was looking for. I decided I would take a 180 class or nothing this year? Had to settle for nothing.

My season couldn't have come to a more satisfying end, however, as I glassed up this great buck for my daughter. This is her first buck. We spotted him at around 500 yards and she made a fantastic stalk to set up at 187 yards. He wouldn't present her the ethical shot we were looking for, so we sat on him for 2 hours until he stood up for an afternoon stretch? quickly he went down with one shot from my .300 WSM.

313tay_11_buck_crop_resize.jpg

This short video clip was taken just before the shot:

Here is the video from after:

Congratulations, my daughter is 16 months old and I can not wait to take her hunting.

Great buck! Nice and tall with good tine length. Funny how often you'll see a 4 x 3 when deer are about that age. That 4th on the one side just won't grow for some reason. Excellent buck, congratulations to you and her!

Thanks to all.

My daughter and I had a long discussion last night about whether or not this buck would have been a 3x4 his whole life, or if he would have become a 4x4 at some point. His teeth had average to heavy wear, and his face was considerable whiter than other younger bucks we had seen, so I would guess he was at least 5 years old, but I don't have the background to say that for sure.

Any thoughts?

I think he was or would have been a 4 x 4 at some point. I found sheds (both sides) from a buck similar to your daughter's two years in a row. The sheds were very clearly the same buck both years but the second year, he had larger bases but the top of his rack had less mass than the year before and one side had gone from being a 4 point to a 3 point. I don't know his age, but he could have been going through remission or it could have just been a year with less nutritious feed, don't know. He had the genetics to be a 4 x 4 but something was not right and that year he was a 3 x 4.
Thinking back to some of the sheds off of other bucks I've found over the years. I can remember some that are mirror images of each other just larger the next year. Some are barely recognizable as the same buck (may have one distinguishing trait like a double eye guard, the rest of the rack is way different) and some are a little different but definitely the same buck. (one that I can think of was a great 4 x 4 with a kicker on both sides for 2 years and then he grew an inline point instead of a kicker)
All that to say, I don't know. Still a great buck though even though he's not a 4 x 4 this year.

Congrats to all involved, especially the young lady!
The more female hunters, the better off hunting will be.

Great looking deer! Congrats to both of you, on my post droptine buck & 4x5 the droptine buck took almost 3 hrs to stand up. We know all about waiting for one, your nerves almost have time to settle down.

WELL DONE!

Back
Top Bottom