First choice archery.... No Dice!

walleye1121

I didn't think it was possible but my buddy was unsuccesful for an archery tag as a first choice.

Does this worry you?

Next year we will have no idea about hunter interest in the new smaller regions.

It is going to take a few years to sort out.

Say goodbye to hunting with family. (as far as family with tags in hand)

Kind of spooky.

My Dad also didn't draw a statewide archery tag as his first choice, first time he won't be archery hunting deer in Utah since he was old enough to hunt. Ridiculous if you ask me, but that is the way it goes I guess too many yuppies in the state anymore. When you can't draw a general archery deer tag in your own state it's time to move.....and good point who knows what the next years will bring. Good luck to all that did draw enjoy it, for it may be your last time you will for a few years!

>My Dad also didn't draw a
>statewide archery tag as his
>first choice, first time he
>won't be archery hunting deer
>in Utah since he was
>old enough to hunt.
>Ridiculous if you ask me,
>but that is the way
>it goes I guess too
>many yuppies in the state
>anymore. When you can't draw
>a general archery deer tag
>in your own state it's
>time to move.....and good point
>who knows what the next
>years will bring. Good luck
>to all that did draw
>enjoy it, for it may
>be your last time you
>will for a few years!
>

Where in the world do you go tho? I mean most states out west are all draw anymore aren't they?

"We must hang together, gentlemen...else, we shall most assuredly hang separately."
Benjamin Franklin

"Where in the world do you go tho? I mean most states out west are all draw anymore aren't they?"

There will be Leftover tags in Wyo and Colo....

Plus you can pick-up the phone and call Idaho and have a buck license by the end of the week in hand...

It does suck that more and more of us have our Utah earned money being spent in other states........

Sign of the future maybe but it is easier to go to a Con Org banquet and buy a tag than it is to draw a simple freaking General bow buck tag! ha

Robb

I have a friend that I was hoping to archery hunt with this year and he was unsuccessful for statewide archery. He got the buck/bull combo tag as his second choice.

In the draws it seems like if you put a hunt like southern region rifle as your second choice and statewide archery as your first you always draw. But when you put Archery as your first and northern general as your second, you usually get your second choice. I don't have any hard data on that, just historically speaking.

Dillon

www.dillonhoyt.com

It will be interesting to see the numbers on how many people put in for gen archery. We all know the popularity of this tag has increased yearly for the last 5+ years. I am sure there was even more of a jump this year with it being the last year of being a "state wide" hunt. I had been holding my breath until the email came that I did get a general archery deer tag. BTW, I put in for northern general rifle as my second choice.

can any one explain to me the "yuppie" comment? I have a hard time believing that all the new interest in archery is coming from "yuppies"

I never thought that I would see the day that I would have to sit on the sidelines without an archery tag in Utah [unless by choice]. I have hunted 40 years straight with my bow in hand. This year I didn't draw a tag with my first choice. I am kind of shocked but luckily I have drawn a colorado archery tag in a good unit. That does take a little of the sting away but what I worry more about is the opportunities [or lack of] my children and grandchildren will experience as they move forward. The opportunity to experience what I have enjoyed may become possible only to those who can afford a high price tag or a L/E tag once every few years. As far as the Yuppie comment it does seem to me that a lot of young men and women are choosing the bow and arrow as the weapon of choice. Possibly it is because the challenge of archery hunting is a little more politically correct and less offensive to the non hunting public. Regardless of the term you want to call these new arrivals I have no doubt that the popularity of bowhunting will not fade away as a new wave of young archers enter the ranks.Good or bad I will adapt and try to make the most of whatever archery hunt I am priveledged to take part in. Good Luck to All!

Fly, if you don't know what a yuppie is go to any sporting goods store a week before the archery hunt opens. Walk through the archery section and notice many people purchasing bows, arrows, broad heads, sights, quivers etc. You will notice they will load their new equipment into a nice Subaru or Escalade which make great hunting rigs now days. Bow will not get tuned, maybe and this is a big maybe a few practice shots will be shot before opening morning in hopes of a buck standing off the road that they might have a chance to hit. These people and I will categorize them as yuppies for lack of a better word, who have no real interest in archery, but heard that it is what everybody is doing now, so that is what they put in for. Someone who would prefer to eat sushi over a venison steak, someone who would buy the top of the line bow and put Wal-Mart special accessories on it is what I am referring to as a yuppie. Someone who will draw an archery tag and go our for one day. Good or bad make your own opinion, but these are the people that are taking opportunities away from guys that are serious dedicated bowhunters , that are sitting the sidelines to watch people with no interest or very little interest in the game take their starting position. So if you or anybody else falls into the category of a "yuppie" I mean no offense just could not find a word that seamed to fit as well. To each their own and good luck this fall!

A YUPPIE is a tree hugger to most people and i really dont think they are buying bows trying to shoot deer.

But it wouldnt be hard for a whole herd of them granola crunchers to take hunter saftey and then put in for the draws just to try and take half the tags away from hunters that are really going to shoot something!

Belive it or not but it really is happening and only going to get worse! They look for other ways of shuting us down everyday.

Just go buy one at a banquet, there are thousands available that way.
We should shift more tags over to auctions, it is the only way to increase general tags...:)

I am still in shock as well, No deer tag for me either. First time I won't have a deer tag in my pocket since I was 16.

I feel your guys pain, I am 0 for 3 states right now. Utah should have started lowering the amount of tags given out slowly many years ago instead of the drastic cut they did this year due to the poor numbers in so many areas. Its the same fear I have that Idaho may one day wake up and realize that they have some major problems and shut some folks out.

My hunting buddy didn't draw archery either. I feel things are changing too. I wonder, however, about some of the comments that have been made but you're all entitled to an opinion.

We all want more and bigger deer but the demand has continued to out-strip the supply. Something had to give. I don't have the answers either but I guess we're headed in the right direction????

I heard something which was applied to business but would appy to getting a deer tag nowdays; "when your well goes dry you'll need to range farther to get water". Same would go for getting a deer tag. It's a time of change and sacrifice. I hope it pays dividends in the near future. Time will tell.

Zeke

I drew, have never missed a year, but there are so many other hunting opportunities available that I figure if a deer tag is not on the horizon I will just hunt elk. Someday that well may dry up also, but to be honest, I'd rather hunt the wapiti and have killed more of them with bow than I have deer. For me, deer are a tough animal to hunt with bow and arrow.

I am also hopeful for the future of deer hunting in Utah, but the landscape is changing. With Utah population growth and deer population decline, it was bound to happen.

I don't know about all of you guys, but personally I would like to see healthier deer herds. If I'm only able to hunt deer every other year, or every two years but have a chance at a better buck, that's great. That being said, we have to put a lot of faith in the DWR, hopefully this new plan will do just that. (HOPEFULLY)!!

I think there was some expectation that- with this being the last "statewide" year, the archery tags would be gone- but not on 1st choices...

A new day is dawning on hunting in Utah- and it aint lookin pretty...

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom