first dog first trip

AndymanSavage

Very Active Member
I'm going pheasant hunting this weekend and bringing my 7 month old Weimeraner pup. I've been working with her for months and think she's ready. We are hunting private property with alot of birds, mostly planted. there will be a couple of older bird dogs with us. This is my first gundog and her first trip, any special tips to make it a good outing for both of us?

Have you shot around your pup yet? If not you could ruin that dog in a matter of seconds. If you have, I say just let the pup have fun. Let her try and figure out the game without much yelling on your part, the best way to train a bird dog is with birds. Sometimes it takes a while for things to "click", but when it does you will definately know it. Most importantly for the first year though is to just let the dog have fun.

Rut

I agree with the first post, it took my dog a couple of trips before she learned how to really use her nose to her advantage, the first trip was lots of running around, trying to find birds. Make it fun for her.

Andyman, did you go with Sambino to his place? Thanks for inviting me jerks. Hope I get to go this weekend, since it is tradition to get 2nd week scraps.

joe-no hombre, te hubiera llamado. I did go out there last day of the deer hunt. Saw 3 big bulls and 10 does. Bad oman and I will probably drive out there early sat. and get some chickens from Hickens.

Rutt- I have not shot around her yet. Just gotten her used to loud noises. banging pots ect. She isn't bothered by fireworks or any noises that I've noticed. Should I not take her? If I do can I do anything to help her not spook? I don't want to ruin her, she's got a good nose and a pretty point.

I need to call Sambino, we talked about going out there this weekend, but I don't know if he is still planning on it. I saw Tracy M. at the snowmobile show, he was with Dusty. I'm going to call Sambino to see if he is still planning on it.

If loud noises don't bother her you should be alright. The thing I did was take my dog out on a rope and had my wife hold her back about 100 yards away while I shot at some clay pigeons. I shot a couple of times and the dog was pulling my wife trying to get to me. She moved closer and I did it again, closer, shoot, closer, shoot, etc... until she was to the side of me. Had my wife take her off the rope, threw a pigeon and shot it and my wife let her go (she actually went and picked up a piece of the pigeon). I only caution you because a couple of years ago, I went to a bird farm with a guy who said he had a good lab pup who was ready to hunt. We went out in the field, and the dog started getting birdy, a rooster got up and about 4 or 5 guys started shooting and the pup ran behind his masters leg and never left his side after that. I came to find out later that he had never tried to introduce the dog to loud noises at all! I would say just take her out and shoot a couple of times (preferably while the dog is excited and running around and not paying attention to you) and see how she reacts. She should be fine.

Rut

Andy-man,

If you are planning to use her hunting often I would not chance taking her out without getting her used to guns being shot over her. You can ruin a dog for life. I would not take her with other dogs either until she is broke. They can learn bad habits and it's harder to break bad habits than it is to train what you want them to do.

just my .02

porque no llevastes al pobre joben :)

You can buy a shock collar if you want, but make sure the dog understands everything you are asking it before you shock it! If you just strap the shock collar on and start shocking it and it doesn't know why you might as well just ask your dog to drive you home, it will have no idea what you want. To many people think that a shock collar is a "quick fix", they couldn't be any more wrong. Shock collars in the wrong hands have ruined more pointing dogs than any other training method ever invented.
If sometime down the road you decide to get a shock collar let me know and I will give you some good websites that will help you learn which one you need and how to use it correctly.

Rut

thanks rut. I have decided not to use a shock collar her first year. I don't want her first hunts to be negative. She's still a pup and I just want her to have fun.

I think Ruttcrazed has brought up a very good point. A shock collar is an invaluable tool on the right dog with the right personality. However, if the dog is somewhat docile or passive, you're going to make the problem worse.

Rutt, I would like to read those web sites if you wouldn't mind posting them.

I have just started my first hunting dog, an english pointer. My suggestions:

1) shoot around your dog BEFORE you go on your hunt.
2) make sure your dog knows basic commands (whoa, back, heel, etc) BEFORE going with other people and their dogs.
3) make sure the people your going with know you have a new dog
4) don't forget your leash/check cord
5) don't go with the expectation of shooting alot of birds, your there for the dog (at least for now)
6)look for a shooting preserve where you can go by yourself and work your dog on lots of "tame" birds
7)try to have fun with the dog

I am no expert by any means, but I think these ideas will get you started. I have hunted over my friends weimer for 10 years..great dogs, you should be very happy with the breed.

The best web site I have found for training Pointing dogs is
www.uplandbirddog.com Go to the archives and you can find anything you need to know from starting you puppy to the advance stages of training, backing, steady to wing and shot, forced retreive ect.

Good Hunting

Thanks doc, that site is very helpfull. I think I'm going to hold off for a couple weeks and gun train storm (my pup) before I turn her loose.

Fellow bird hunters,

Bare with me! While your on this topic. I have a beautiful(good blood lines/instincs/very sharp) German Shorthair that is completely house broken and is a year old right now. I have watched a good pointier training video when I got him, but unfortanately was not in a great living situation at the time for training a GSP. I only have him trained to the backyard pheasant wing, whoa command, and he does understand basic hand signaling but doesn't always follow them. He knows the heel command but will not heel consistantly and is totally distracted and on a one track mind "when in the field"(out of back yard). He just wants to run off for ever.
I am finally in a better location for open space bird country to get him out very often (Excellent Pheasant and Grouse hunting within a ten miles from home). I just got (a week ago) a shock collar which I was not real fond of in the first place but felt I needed to get his attention. So far it has helped obedience and heeling a whole lot, and I have used it VERY sparingly makin sure he knows why he gets shocked. I don't feel comfortable takin him out on public land right now cause I know he'll just take off as in the past and I sure don't feel comfortable and don't ever want to shock him heavily when he does take off.
This is just killing me right now. I am hoping I haven't stalled the training process too long. Is anyone willing to briefly tell me what steps I need to take first in the back yard to get him staying by my side better, "paying more attention to me and my commands", and obeying so I can then work on the actuall smellin' out live birds.
I know this sounds like a disaster dog, but I assure you it's not. He is such a good smart pup, and we have a good positive relationship, but I want him to be much happier by getting him hunting or at least in the field more "as soon as possible" since I can get him out all the time now as long as he will stay with me/heel and all. I know this sounds a lot worse than it really is. I appreciate any feedback. Help me help my dog. Thanks a bunch fellas!

H.A.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom