First news on Wyoming elk special fee applications

Don’t buy NR moose points if you feel you have no chance. Or keep buying them in case the system changes to a bonus point system or points get squared or whatever. Make a plan and run with it until you feel it’s not worth it.

Don’t buy NR moose points if you feel you have no chance. Or keep buying them in case the system changes to a bonus point system or points get squared or whatever. Make a plan and run with it until you feel it’s not worth it.
Great point!

For any of you guys who feel like WY screwed you over I’ll discount the cost you have in points from a guided AK moose hunt starting in 2026. You must forfeit your points. Come kill a moose and save some $$$

Hmmm. I don't have any moose points so not much of a discount. How do moose taste? And is a 300 WM enough gun? If not, I could step up to a 6.5 Creedmoor! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I have a call into

John Kennedy

Deputy Director (internal operations)

My hope is to have a real conversation about making some change that allows non-resident moose point holders to exit with some dignity:

Covert it to a bonus point system.

Let us convert the moose points to other species at a 5:1 ratio.

Give us $ credit toward buying other points - 50%?

Stop selling moose non-resident moose points all together - the people with less than 18 have zero chance to draw the bonus tags.

In their defense with thousands of people not understanding the math and continuing to buy preference points for moose they have no incentive to make any adjustments.

Can't hurt to ask! I know I will get nowhere here but at least then I can go back to complaining online with a story about how I tried. :)
The smart NRs with less than ~18(23) NR moose (sheep) points all took 2023 off from this $300+ annual moose/sheep scam.

John Kennedy is going to tell you that if you also take off 2024, then that is two dormant years in a row and thus he is going to take away all your M/S points that you spent thousands to acquire. So, John Kennedy is going to get another $300+ from you and many others this year because their only hope is that their thousands invested will be somehow salvaged by the 2025 WY legislature.

If a private company was strong arming a consumer like this, the regulators could step in. Here it is the state of Wyoming engaged in the fraud and the unconscionable strong arm tactic that perpetuates the fraud in 2024.

You better hope John sees your request in the next two weeks because at the end of the month he is gone - he will retire on February 29.

ClearCreek

I stopped buying the moose points and did just that in 2023. I do agree that I completely wasted that money on Wyoming moose points. The moose below were killed on an OTC type tag with no guide. The amount I spent on moose points in WY would not cover the airplane costs and new gear I bought, but it would have helped a bit. Once my kids are out of college, I plan to go every year. The only reason I thought about continuing to buy points was for a cow moose tag but even they are 20+ points now - I also thought that someday I might claim residency in Wyoming for enough time to use the moose points- I have been happily married for 27 years and hope to stay that way so I do not think this is a viable option.

AK Moose Curt Front.jpg

AK Moose Russ Holding Rack.jpg

AK Moose Russ from Side.jpg

AK Moose Curt Side.jpg

I stopped buying the moose points and did just that in 2023. I do agree that I completely wasted that money on Wyoming moose points. The moose below were killed on an OTC type tag with no guide. The amount I spent on moose points in WY would not cover the airplane costs and new gear I bought, but it would have helped a bit. Once my kids are out of college, I plan to go every year. The only reason I thought about continuing to buy points was for a cow moose tag but even they are 20+ points now - I also thought that someday I might claim residency in Wyoming for enough time to use the moose points- I have been happily married for 27 years and hope to stay that way so I do not think this is a viable option.

View attachment 137188

View attachment 137189

View attachment 137190

View attachment 137191
Cool bulls! Love that old regressed one, he’s likely in the 12-14 year old range! They get old in that country (assuming you went with renfros). Looks like his area.

Last edited:
The one with the kicker is my brother's bull. He is 62" with some cool character. Mine is just barely over 60". We thought my brothers bull was older too - I do not know if it matters but he was with two other bulls (fighting) and he looked grey compared to their brown. We were with Renfro's - Wade flew us in and out - enjoyed our time with them. We are going to burn through some points in WY-CO-UT-AZ and then hope to make the AK an annual trip. I loved it - I would stay out for three to four weeks next time and use a bow - I enjoy the simplicity of living out of a tent. My freezer is full of elk, moose, Oryx, halibut, snapper, and grouper. Not cheap but some of the best protein on the planet in my opinion.

AK Moose Curt Rack.jpg

AK Moose Russ Front.jpg

I know John, he's a good guy and will listen. The only idea you've mentioned with a chance is the "convert to bonus point system". It was unsuccessful in last year's Legislative session and won't be brought back this year. Maybe for 2025 general session. Ask John how you could help with that.

Another idea with a chance is changing the PP/Random allocation to 50/50. Ask him about that.

At least you are getting involved.
Any idea who John's replacement will be?

I am sitting on quite a few moose points with the idea that when I move back to Wyoming I will have a shot to draw. That said, I would like to voice my opinions as a current non-resident if you really think it won't fall on deaf ears. Thanks

About 22/23 years ago when I first started applying in WY I looked at the number of applicants already in the system and the few NR tags available for sheep and moose and felt the odds vs potential long term cost to play wasn't going to be worth it (and that is when the points were cheap). One of the few good decisions I've made in my life - LOL. I'm sure glad I didn't get started down that long depressing road.

About 22/23 years ago when I first started applying in WY I looked at the number of applicants already in the system and the few NR tags available for sheep and moose and felt the odds vs potential long term cost to play wasn't going to be worth it (and that is when the points were cheap). One of the few good decisions I've made in my life - LOL. I'm sure glad I didn't get started down that long depressing road.
Quitter ;)

Probably would have had a moose tag. My NR Dad started applying for moose in 2001 and drew in 2015 with points.

I am sitting on quite a few moose points with the idea that when I move back to Wyoming I will have a shot to draw. That said, I would like to voice my opinions as a current non-resident if you really think it won't fall on deaf ears. Thanks

Eric Wiltanger is the guy replacing John Kennedy.

ClearCreek

Go right to the top, Brian Nesvik. Get his secretary and make a call appointment.

All this talk about moose hunting in Alaska has me curious. What kind of total cost are we looking at? Not just outfitter and tag, but travel, etc.

Wow, I looked at Renfros. Unguided and non-outfitted $13,500. Guided $34,500 moose. Sounds like a pretty expensive way to go?

Yowza! Reminds me when Homer Simpson tried to buy the biggest RV on the lot!

Wow, I looked at Renfros. Unguided and non-outfitted $13,500. Guided $34,500 moose. Sounds like a pretty expensive way to go?
Plus flights to Anchorage and then to Bethel and back. Boy I wish I took a few years off after high school, moved to Alaska, and hunted my butt off. Prices were cheap back then.

Prices have shot up due to demand. When I first moved to alaska renfros was 5,000. And that was expensive.

You can do a DIY hunt for a couple thousand up to 15k plus. Depends on where and when and how big of a trophy you seek.

So much fun though!

When I was in high school, I always dreamed of a dall sheep hunt in Alaska. I thought to myself, once I'm older I'll be able to afford it. Well, now close to retirement age and I can't even afford an unguided, non-outfitted moose hunt! Yep, I could sell my truck and possibly be able to afford a flight into moose country.

I guess it's a matter of priorities and how to come up with a large chunk of extra cash. Family and other important factors may need to be sacrificed/compromised. If you don't live in a state like Alaska...or Wyo you may be out of luck as the price to play continues to rise!

When I was in high school, I always dreamed of a dall sheep hunt in Alaska. I thought to myself, once I'm older I'll be able to afford it. Well, now close to retirement age and I can't even afford an unguided, non-outfitted moose hunt! Yep, I could sell my truck and possibly be able to afford a flight into moose country.

I guess it's a matter of priorities and how to come up with a large chunk of extra cash. Family and other important factors may need to be sacrificed/compromised. If you don't live in a state like Alaska...or Wyo you may be out of luck as the price to play continues to rise!
I too dreamed of alaska and made the difficult decision to leave WY. I don’t regret it at all. Likely would have been easier to leave if I lived in a chit box state like UT. My only regret is I didn’t move sooner. First few years up here I would make it back to WY every fall. Now? Not so much.

Am glad WY went to 90/10 for moose and sheep, only fair in my book. If one day they chose to do that for deer and elk so be it.

I drew my WY sheep and moose then bailed. if you're not real near the top on points it's a suckers bet.

As others have said you can donate your money to WY or you can go hunt in Canada or AK. remember you're not only wasting money you're wasting years. we all only have so much of either one.

My dream of a dall sheep hunting actually did come true! My sister ended up marrying the right guy! My BIL and I have shared multiple once in a lifetime type sheep and mtn goat experiences together! In fact, he had never really hunted Alaska before we shared our first dall sheep hunt. Doesn't it seem almost sacrilegious not to hunt if you live in Alaska? Ever since that hunt my sister has been a bachelor mom every fall! She obviously says it's my fault I got him hooked!

There's less than 4 months out of 12 I'd like to live in Alaska. Those 4 months would be heaven on earth though! Wyoming may have 5 good months? If it was my choice and I could start all over again, I'd bite the bullet and move to Alaska rather than windy Wyo!

Now back to the Wyo special tag topic........

My dream of a dall sheep hunting actually did come true! My sister ended up marrying the right guy! My BIL and I have shared multiple once in a lifetime type sheep and mtn goat experiences together! In fact, he had never really hunted Alaska before we shared our first dall sheep hunt. Doesn't it seem almost sacrilegious not to hunt if you live in Alaska? Ever since that hunt my sister has been a bachelor mom every fall! She obviously says it's my fault I got him hooked!

There's less than 4 months out of 12 I'd like to live in Alaska. Those 4 months would be heaven on earth though! Wyoming may have 5 good months? If it was my choice and I could start all over again, I'd bite the bullet and move to Alaska rather than windy Wyo!

Now back to the Wyo special tag topic........
I think all 12 are just fine in either state. You would chit gold bricks and complain they were not diamonds.

I found a compromise that works great for me. Here in Colo the weather is fantastic for 10 months. A big plus living in a spot I can comfortably enjoy the outdoors 10 months of the year! Lots of great hunting and fishing options as a res. There are states in every direction that offer additional outdoor opportunities. I’m a stones throw from Wyo to scout for weeks during the summer and fall. I can fly to Alaska and take a 2 to 3 week trip that takes full advantage of the narrow window of time with the best hunting, fishing, and exploring.

It’s 10 or so months of my life each and every year in states like Alaska or Wyo that would be a drag unless moving south for the winter!

I found a compromise that works great for me. Here in Colo the weather is fantastic for 10 months. A big plus living in a spot I can comfortably enjoy the outdoors 10 months of the year! Lots of great hunting and fishing options as a res. There are states in every direction that offer additional outdoor opportunities. I’m a stones throw from Wyo to scout for weeks during the summer and fall. I can fly to Alaska and take a 2 to 3 week trip that takes full advantage of the narrow window of time with the best hunting, fishing, and exploring.

It’s 10 or so months of my life each and every year in states like Alaska or Wyo that would be a drag unless moving south for the winter!
I’m happy for you. You’ve almost convinced yourself you made the right decision!

Yep, I’ve had an incredible family life here in Colo. I’ve also had an amazing career contributing to a profession in natural resources that has made some fairly amazing impacts to the preservation of native vegetation and wildlife species across the Western US! I’m not bragging, I’m merely saying that these have been major choices and priorities. I'm sure there are other nonres that reside outside of Wyo that hold the same family and occupation priorities and values.

I’m also certain there are plenty of average Joes like myself that are tickled to death every time they draw highly desirable limited tags as nonres. We are thankful every year these tags are made available to Average Joes by states like Wyo rather than tags set aside for those with deep pockets!

Last edited:
Yep, I’ve had an incredible family life here in Colo. I’ve also had an amazing career contributing to a profession in natural resources that has made some fairly amazing impacts to the preservation of native vegetation and wildlife species across the Western US! I’m not bragging, I’m merely saying that these have been major choices and priorities. I'm sure there are other nonres that reside outside of Wyo that hold the same family and occupation priorities and values.

I’m also certain there are plenty of average Joes like myself that are tickled to death every time they draw highly desirable limited tags as nonres. We are thankful every year these tags are made available to Average Joes by states like Wyo rather than tags set aside for those with deep pockets!
#stayhumble

No doubt special odds will be a lot better this year. When the special tag fee leaped over $1k many years ago that first year special odds went way up, it then levelled off. It will jump again. I went special draw general elk. I am guessing my "total" odds will be close to 25%. I only have 2 points so random draw.

I had a really nice conversation with the young lady in charge of licensing. They know they have a problem with the non-resident moose point system. They think converting to a bonus point system is one solution. People with really high points do not like the idea which I can appreciate. I view Wyoming non-resident moose points are nearly worthless. I would return them all in exchange for one antelope point. I give them credit for calling me back and having a conversation.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom