First Paycheck...How Much?

muleyman

Very Active Member
My friend and I were talking the other day about all the jobs we had in Jr. high and high school. Pay was brought up and it dawned on me just how little I made in high school, but thought I was LOADED!

Fist job:

Working on my gradfathers dairy at the age of 12
30 hrs week @ $3.00 / hour paid weekly

$90.00 per week X 12 weeks for the summer
$1,080.00 total. I bought my dirt bike for $800.00 that summer. Well earned. Too bad most kids today expect mom and dad to pay for their toys, or the parents just do it!

I thought I was RICH when the 1st paycheck came. Life was easy and the money seemed to be a huge bonus.

muleyman

My first full time job was detailing cars for Jerry Seiner here in SLC @ $4.25 hr, take home was around $325 for 2 weeks. That was lots of money to me back then, my car payment was $200, my Dad payed my insurance and gas was under $1 a gallon.

:( Somebody didn't like bouncing betty :(

My first job was working in a Fruit Processing plant at $1.25 per hour back in 1957. Three years later same place and manning the dehydrator at night shift got $2.50 per hour.

How times have changed in those 50 years.

Brian

My first job was working for the family construction company for a $1 an hour and I thought I was rich. Hell now that summers wages wouldn't even fill my truck with gas.

Three days after graduating High School I started firefighting for the Division of Forestry (California). I had to live at the Fire Station. The pay was $377/ month. I remember telling my parents, "The next time you see me I'll be a rich man."

At the end of summer, I got my own apartment and started College and worked full time at all kinds of jobs. I've been working ever since. Three years to go and I can join Kilowatt in retirement.

Eel

Let's see......paper route when I was 8 when I started.....got about $80-100 per month....in Alaska......at 50-60 below zero......route took about 2-3 hours per day......summers were faster as I could ride my bike......7 days a week.....wednesdays and sunday were a real biotch......and I got hit by a car my 3rd year (no injuries aother than pride).
Overall.....excellent! Bought my own 3-wheeler when I was 11 years old and ate lots of candy in the interim!
Archerman - Archery hunting addict!

My first job was working at a sporting goods store in Clovis CA. I did stocking, cashiering, tended bait and made up fishin' reports for $2.50 an hour. I got some smooooooking deals on fishin stuff!! I went from that to hand pouring plastic worms and jigs for piece work and got my tournament entry fees and costs paid for. Basically, I got paid to come up with lure patterns and to go fishing. Ah, the good old days!!
Eric

Ultra liberal, wolf loving, illiterate, gay, hippie midgets on crack piss me off!!!!

deerline.gif

1st real job was changing sprinklers at the local golf course (9 hole'r) (night shift) As I recall it was 1.25/hr. The bonus was, we could get KOMA and XERB (wolfman jack) on the radio. "let me squeeze your melons baby" HAHA... was 1967... now that was living!

RUS

They've nearly gone to totally all the big
round Hay bales now, but when I was a young man,
it was all the little square bales of hay.

Hauled Thousands of them every summer for, probably
six years.

We used to haul a'thousand'a'day back in the 80's.

When football two-a-day's would start, I'd be a little up
on the puxxy's that had been sacking groceries, or laying
around the house all summer under the air conditioner.

I was tan, and in shape. It still hurt, mind you, but
I was way ahead of those Axxholes.

Was always fun to go find the little cheerleaders
between the morning and afternoon workouts.......

Good to have a nap after all that.

Ahhhhh, the old days.....

Larry.... I'm getting up at 5:00am to bale those little square bales... best day hauling is 770 bales with my little pull type New Holland. Beats the sh*t outta hauling by hand. <smile>

RUS

Rus

My first cutting his year my 1033 stackliner malfunctioned and ended up doing it by hand. 1000 bales, ugh.

BM

I was picking cherries @ 3cents a pound..Went home 'bout every night with a case of the squirts.........RIMROCK

LOL rimrock!

My first job was when I was 12 years old. The small town I grew-up in had a weekly paper. Each Weds after school I would deliver the papers to about 30 homes. I was paid $.07 for each paper I delivered.... :7

In highschool I bagged groceries for $3.35 per hour. Worked about 20 hrs per week, and thought I was rich!

S.

:)

I worked in my uncle's small engine shop for $3.00 an hour. Wow, with the amount of energy drinks I consume, it would cost me an hours time to buy a drink now days.

I working in my dad's butchershop at a very young age at 25 cents per hour. I also got 75 cents for each deer I skinned during deer season. I skinned over 500 deer before I skinned my first buck.
My first job on the outside of the family business was in high school. I worked during the summer for a company that made science kits for schools. I was making the incredible amount of 1.65 per hour.

I started out at age 10 mowing lawns for around $2.50 an hour, never got paid for hauling hay or wood - it was just a chore. But three times a year we would do about 500 bales a day. My first actual paycheck was for teaching cello lessons to younger students, I think it payed $3.75 / hr. When I finished 9th grade I started working on the USFS Trail Crew through the JTPA - paid minnimum wage $5.35 /hr I think, but we also got per diem of $15 per day because we worked 10 day tours, on the mountain the whole time. We would usually only spend about $30 bucks of the per diem so the rest was take home. We were only in town for four days so I didn't end up spending all of my money on the days off so I was able to save quite a bit. We rode a lot of horseback miles and cleaned the trails and worked hard, but took long lunches, always at some little lake so of course I got to fish a lot. We would start early and finish early too so we had tons of fishing and rock chuck hunting time. Played a lot of cards and grew up fast - one of the greatest experiences a kid could ever have. When I turned 18 I could actually work for the USFS and got a bump in pay to $8.75 - we were raking in the cash then.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

Summer jobs paid well considering my 1st month in the service.
Drafted in 1968, my first check for the month I took home the grand total of $86.00. Two years later........$240.00 for the month.

$20 a day for shoveling out the pens at the local livestock auction. Spent my money on a steer calf, raised it and sold to my parents for our beef. that was in 1972.

Wow I can't believe I forgot this. My dad set my brother and I up in our own roto-tilling business. I was probably 12 and he was 10. Our dad bought the tiller, a rubber stamp and a pile of note cards. We pasted those all over town and dropped them in mail boxes. My mom would drive us to the jobs. We would charge $10.00 per hour. I remember looking at that a big, red 5hp front tined beauty thinking this was my ticket to the big time.

After the first job, a little worse for wear but a crisp $20.00 in our pockets it was the high life for us...

..then there was a wake up call...the business had to be self sustaining...Had to payoff the rubbber stamp and of course transportation cost...fill up the gas can...better throw in an oil change once in a while...then there was the infamous per hour "tiller rental"...

My brother and I mulled over forming a union and going on strike...but shortly there after realized that the only thing that would get struck was us...so we toed the line...we tilled many, many gardens and prepared quite a few lawns all the while getting beat to pulp by that evil machine.

One day the competition showed up...some young entrapenour started advertizing "footprintless tilling"...I never did understand how that worked, but we adapted and offered the same by having my brother walk backwards behind me with a rake and level out the surface...

The red menace was churning along yanking my shoulders out of their sockets. What started as a good idea ended badly, after about a pass and a half my brother drilled me in the back with the rake handle one to many times?the fight was on?I let go of the crimson monster and engaged in all out war with my brother, the tiller, wide open throttle, still in gear and with nobody holding it back, climbed out of the furrow screaming, dirt clods were flying?the old ladys rose bushes were no more?after the battle was over so was the partnership...

That was over 30 years ago?I don't believe the tiller ever paid for itself, but it's still around, I see it once in a while the most recent, sitting in the garage of the last house my parents build...waiting for it's next victim?

BuckSnort, Clovis Rod and Gun and then PRO Worms right behind them.
Eric

Ultra liberal, wolf loving, illiterate, gay, hippie midgets on crack piss me off!!!!

deerline.gif

"The red menace was churning along yanking my shoulders out of their sockets. What started as a good idea ended badly, after about a pass and a half my brother drilled me in the back with the rake handle one to many times?the fight was on?I let go of the crimson monster and engaged in all out war with my brother, the tiller, wide open throttle, still in gear and with nobody holding it back, climbed out of the furrow screaming, dirt clods were flying?the old ladys rose bushes were no more?after the battle was over so was the partnership..."

Holy hell, that's some funny stuff there Ed!!!! I love the adjectives for that beast of a machine. Outstanding prose...

:7 :7

S.

:)

1967 at age 12 washing dishes at Pancake Parade for $1.35 an hour on dayshift. I hated dried egg yolk on the plates the worst!

Ed

4668254d72803407.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Jun-07-07 AT 05:35PM (MST)[p]Grew up on a farm. Did not get paid cash. However, the parents did pay for the feed that went into my 4-H animals. That was the trade off. I would irrigate and cultivate beets and beans all summer. Then sell an animal or 2 at the local county fair and pocket all the money.

I delivered the San Jose Mercury News at age 12 and it paid about $160.00 a month. It totally sucked, especially on a rainy sunday mornings before christmas. I think my satchel of papers weighed more than I did. I puked out after 6 months and worked summers at my dad's print shop instead. The irony is I started a delivery business in 1983 and still make deliveries today. Go figure!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom