First Time Antelope Hunter

bcmulie

Hey everyone,

I drew a WY antelope tag this year (unit 87) and will be heading there for my first ever antelope hunt. I'm hoping that some of the expert antelope hunters might have a few tips for a first timer. I'd been interested in almost everything - how to trophy judge, behaviour tips, type of habitat they frequent, time of day when they usually water, and anything else you'd be willing to share. I'm sure lots of others could benefit from some good advice, so don't hold back! Thanks in advance for your tips.

Alan (bcmulie)

Look at several pictures and get an idea of what you want for a trophy and be ready to look at several animals before a shot.
Get of the roads ,hike to the areas that you can,t see from the roads.The biggest bucks don't hang out near roads or they get killed first day of season.
Horns twice as high as there ears is a good goal.I like the horns to have a heart shape when looking straight on with a little ivory tip to the horns.
Though I never hunted 87 ,you should hav a good hunt,enjoy !

Antelope are hard to judge. Length is of course important but I think mass is the most important. A goat with good mass will stick out from the rest.

Also look for prong width and a little extra curve at the end of the hooks can add an inch or two...

Good hunting!

If possible check out Mike Eastmans book Hunting Trophy Antelope. The book has some very good info as well as some pictures so that you can see what a good antelope looks like. Good luck on your hunt,I will be a little to the south of you.

CABugle

I'll second CABugle's suggestion. Eastman's book is very interesting and helpful. Go to their website to order it. Congrats on your tag. I don't know anyone who has ever been antelope hunting that didn't have a ball ! Also, in my opinion they are as good eating as any animal that walks. Get the hide off as soon as you can and get 'em cooled off. GOOD LUCK. Chip

LAST EDITED ON Jun-30-09 AT 10:19AM (MST)[p]Here is another great video and well known hunter/guide on Antelope.
TONY GRIMMETT from AZ. Get his video called "SIZE IS EVERYTHING" and watch it.......good video.

Been awhile but Tony is a member of MM or was.

www.pronghornguideservice.com

Brian

Mature bucks will seem to have a lot of black on their face, it is noticable from a long ways away.
Once a herd gets banged at they will get super skittish and with their fabulous eyesight will bolt at a mile away.
Later in the season the pressure falls off quite a bit making approach easier.
HH

Thanks guys - some good tips. I ordered Eastman's book and the recommended video today. I'll let you know how I do.

bcmulie

Some great advice given. As with any other big game hunt try and hunt ALL day long. You will see way more game and increase your chances of harvesting that buck that gets you excited. Good luck!

If you plan to have a mount done with your antelope,either take it to a local taxidermist that is reputable or have the cape frozen for the trip home.The hair falls out of an antelope very easy once it is caped,handle with care.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom