First time processing

Firedad

Last season my son and I both shot mule deer bucks and my brother-in-law helped process and package both deer. This was the first time I’ve seen this done while this season I am processing my cow elk by myself. I bought a LEM MaxVac 500 vac sealer and a MEAT! #22 1hp grinder. Quarters aged a week, and today I have one hind quarter done. Question, what are your thoughts on aging (figured this is answered in other threads) and my main question is about prepping to grind. How much work do you put in to prep? Shanks for example are layer upon layer of connective tissue, do you take as much silver skin off as possible or do you leave muscles together. Assuming of course you don’t keep shanks for the crockpot.

I’m pretty meticulous about trimming. It makes it easier to grind, and I believe the final product is better. That being said, I have a buddy with a commercial meat grinder that you could probably put a cinder block through, and he’s a lot less picky about trimming. His burger still turns out alright, and he’s quite a bit quicker at processing than I am.

To me processing is one of those live and learn things. always a balance between time and doing it right. Especially for most people that get done hunting and then have to process while trying to go back to work. My two sense is you will never regret trimming more than you will biting into some chunky bit. If you have family members that are on the edge of liking/ not liking your harvest then make sure you trim well. The time is well spent when it hits the table

We always cut as much of the silver skin, fat, gristle and what not off. Taking an extra half hour to an hour prepping everything before you complete the processing will make everything so much easier for you.

Especially with steaks and stuff, take the silver skin off, because it can make the meat taste different.

Probably a stupid question to add, does anyone grind liver into their burger? Heard someone say they do 10% liver by weight when they process.

Nope, don't even like the thought of that liver combo. When I have the time to process them at home I only do meat cuts as I don't have a grinder. I break them down one muscle at a time, it's either roast or stew meat. I absolutely take out all the silver and marginal meat leaving quality cuts . My family loves the roast sliced 1/4 " into steak fingers. That's why my bride let's me keep spending $ to hunt... I get plenty of ground when I have pay a outside service when I can't do it myself.

I've been doing my own processing for years. I do steaks, roast, burger and 3 types of sausage. It's a lot of work but a labor of love and what I consider the end of the hunt.

Op-how are you aging your meat?
That somewhat dictates time. I'm in SE Texas so I'm forced to use a cooler with some going into large Ziploc bags and placed in the fridge. In a cooler I'll let them go 7 to 10 days and bagged in a fridge up to 14 is no issue. I've gone more but it doesn't seem to help.

I trim VERY thoroughly, cube and freeze in 2.5 gallon bags then thaw and make the final product at the end of the season.

The elk shanks make good slow cooked roast or provide a little grind meat if so desired. In a slow all day cook, the silver skin melts away. There's no efficient way to separate the shanks from silver skin that's worth the time or meat loss. I double grind those parts then mix that grind with other meat so I'm not sticking all of it in one batch.

The elk shanks make good slow cooked roast or provide a little grind meat if so desired. In a slow all day cook, the silver skin melts away. There's no efficient way to separate the shanks from silver skin that's worth the time or meat loss. I double grind those parts then mix that grind with other meat so I'm not sticking all of it in one batch.

The silver skin makes a good broth for those shanks as well giving it some flavor.

I found aging at least 7 days is a good minimum. I have to wet age so that about as long as I wana go and I have to do it in the fridge or in ice coolers. Personally I’d do coolers cause opening and closing the door drastically swings the temperature in the fridge( especially if you have a toddler opening and closing the fridge)

I have a first batch of meat to grind then a second pile of "less trimmed" that I keep separate and label as "grind 2." I also keep a third pile of grind 3 that is anything that has a bit of meat that I feel bad throwing away but don't have time or feel like trimming. This is to mix with dog's food. I have tried it ( it has no dirt or bloodshot meat) and it is fine to eat, too! I wonder if grinding some of that connective tissue into grind 3 is actually good for the texture of that burger..

Shanks I keep whole for the crockpot. It is a nightmare to try to separate all that silverskin. It is one of my fave parts of deer or elk as the breakdown of connective tissue lends a silky, fatty feel and taste that is not present in the leanness of venison lean muscle.

I agree with the silver skin in a slow cooker.

I've started keeping most of the front shoulders from White tails and mulies for this as well. Makes a great roast.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom