First week of Archery for Elk

Chow_Hound

My son is still in school so the only time we could really hunt elk would be the first week of archery season. We've hunted deer in the past, but I was contemplating a drop camp hunt in the Flat Tops Wilderness. Would it be a waste of time and money to hunt that early?

Thanks

first week of archery is already over... I was out there above timberline the whole week.

Elk hunting was a lot tougher this year than years past for me... I don't know if it was due to the late spring, but the quality of the alpine grass was poorer this year than years past. As a consequence, I was on fewer elk than in years past.

Elk were completely nonvocal, no bugles, no sparring. I still managed to get on elk every day which was better than many I heard reports from. Last Thursday I got under a nice 320" 6x7 right at daylight. At 80 yards I cow called to him and he just moved up and away over the top of the mountain. That was frustrating.

I'm thinking about hunting the week of ML next year to get into a little bugling action, but of course, the elk may not still be on summer patterns and may be more difficult to locate. A mixed bag for sure.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom