Fish Lake ealy rifle

carbonnation

I drew this tag this year and as I should be, I am very excited. I have spent some time on the unit chasing deer, but have never hunted elk. I am not sure what to expect once september roles around, because I have not spent any time on the unit during the rut. For those of you who have hunted it during the rut before, or just spent time there during that time, my question is:

Is it a good glassing unit, or is a chasing bugles type place? The reason I ask, is that I spent some time on the San Juan last year, and the Blues were a great place to glass, but out on elk ridge, it seemed we had to chase bugles to see the bulls well. So as I am scouting I am looking for vantage points to glass from, which I know can't hurt, but am I on the right track? Or is this a role up your sleaves and dive into the deep holes kind of place?

What stratagies worked for you?

I was also wondering what kind of pressure is down there. I know they give a lot more tags than they do on the San Juan. Should I expect it to be crowed?

Thanks for any help.

I'm more familiar with the Northern Part of the unit by Johnson's Ranch. That part of the unit isn't really ideal for glassing but southern parts of the unit offer more glassing opportunities. You're in for a great hunt. Fish Lake isn't known for huge bulls but there have been several 370+ bulls shot off it the last several years.

Workman Predator Calls Field Staff

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom