Anyone fish for Peacock Bass??

Wiszard

Long Time Member
This has been a dream of mine for a long time and now that I have only a short time to live, I am doing things on my bucket list. Ha anyone gone south to fish for Peacock Bass? If so, where, how were the accommodations and how much did it cost? I appreciate any help you can give.

I wouldn't chance a diy trip in Panama. Alot could probably go wrong. I stayed with a guy that lived there, his wife cooked and another local took us. Nothing fancy but it was fun.

About four years ago I did a DIY one day session for Peacocks in Florida.
We were leaving on a cruise so we flew to Florida a day early.
I took a pack rod and reel from my backpack stuff, and an asst of hooks/sinkers/jigs etc.
The morning of my extra day in Florida I had a rented vehicle and first thing was a stop for live minnows.
I then just hit the numerous canals around the neighborhoods.
I caught more LM’s than Peacocks but the Peacocks were on my bucket list also.
It was a great time and I loved fishing with live minnows (against the law in Utah, stupid rule!).

IMG_2383.jpeg

IMG_2373.jpeg

Very cool, Mr Shane.....I wouldn't imagine there'd be peacocks in Florida canals but there you go with one. Was that the biggest one you caught? I'd like to fish topwater for them....it's quite the sight to see when they hit it.

All those canals have Peacocks and LM’s in them, just not enough food source to grow big.
Probably 2.5-2.75 lb was biggest.
Having them hit live minnows and then no where to run but laterally up/down the canal was a riot.
Edit: Every golf course pond has Peacocks also.
They spread like Carp.

All those canals have Peacocks and LM’s in them, just not enough food source to grow big.
Probably 2.5-2.75 lb was biggest.
Having them hit live minnows and then no where to run but laterally up/down the canal was a riot.
Edit: Every golf course pond has Peacocks also.
They spread like Carp.
Florida is a great place to fish. Been once for Tarpon and bull shark. It was a blast. I wanna go back and catch HUGE grouper and go sight fishing for bonefish in the flats. Bucketlist!

Bass are my game, fished pro-am tournaments for nearly 20 years.
I still occasionally fish a charity or "buddy" tournament but mostly just enjoy being on the water catching bass at my leisure.

Bucket list is a big peacock, they look like a lot of fun.

Another bucket list is Mexico Largemouth and Coues deer combo 😎🎣

Bass are my game, fished pro-am tournaments for nearly 20 years.
I still occasionally fish a charity or "buddy" tournament but mostly just enjoy being on the water catching bass at my leisure.

Bucket list is a big peacock, they look like a lot of fun.

Another bucket list is Mexico Largemouth and Coues deer combo 😎🎣
El Salto has been on my list since I was a kid....

I can give you the name of the guy I used in Miami, I caught probably 20, biggest was over 5lbs. My wife missed one well over 6lbs, it was a monster.

If you are there during Feb or March can combine with Sailfishing.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom