Fishing by Centennial?

• Thread starter wisconsinfarmer
  • Start date
W

wisconsinfarmer

So I got an uncle coming out the end of the month and he really wants to go hiking and fishing for a few days. I really haven't done a lot of fishing or talking to anybody a whole lot about fishing since I moved out here, and just wondering if the large cluster of lakes within a mile or so of the road west of Centennial can be pretty productive for fishing from shore. He's 66 and has always dreamed of backpacking and fishing in western mountains and I really don't think he would even care if he caught anything, but I'd like to maybe land enough so we could do supper some night while were camping.

Thanks for any replies,

Trevor

Its been ages since I've been in that area but, Hattie, Twin Buttes, and Meabor used to all be fair. Some of those little lakes on your way up the mountain were good fishing. Nothing big, but plenty of action. On the other side of Laramie is Curt Gowdy reservoir that was well fished. The stream feeding into it was the best fishing in the area. That being said, its been 30 yrs since I fished that part of the state. A lot can change in 30 years.

mmwb I've taken my kids up to Curt Gowdy and it's not to bad of fishing. I'm just looking for a more remote trip for my uncle. I'll put the ones you mentioned on the hit list and if there still worth a darn I'll post a few pics.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-04-13 AT 07:47AM (MST)[p]If you go up to all the lakes in the sugar loaf are good. Lake Maire, Klondikes. gap lakes, telephone and on and on. There is always Rob Roy as well or the North Platt is awesome.

Those mountain lakes in sugar loaf are easy to get to and easy to fish.

Talk to the guys at West Laramie Fly store and they will get you started.

There are some nice hikes you can go on and if you get ambitious take the short climb up to Medicine Bow peak.

Thanks Southwind! That's what I was hoping for was up a little higher and to hear that the fishing on them lakes were worth are time.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-04-13 AT 03:53PM (MST)[p]I have caught a lot of fish in those lakes over the years. They are mountain trout so they don't get real big but you can catch a lot of 10-12" brookies, rainbows, and cutthroat. The gap lakes have a good qty of cutthroat. Good eating fish!

I think that area will satisfy your uncles desire. The camp grounds were closed last year because of maint from pine beetles but you could still spike camp. Even with the pine beattles it is a beautiful place.

West Laramie Fly shop does keep a pretty good record of what they are biting on. I don't know if your uncle is a fly fisherman but you can always rig him a bubble bobber and a spinning rig with a trailer fly.

If you hike up medicine bow go early because those summer lighting storms can come up quick mid day.

Good luck, I have enjoyed that area for a long time.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom