Fishing Flaming Gorge

troutsniffer

Does anybody have any advice they would be willing to share on shore fishing at Flaming Gorge? I will be heading there next week with my son and his scout troop. We will be camping at Mustang Ridge. We have boats for wakeboarding, but the boat owners will not allow fishing from the boats. We could use the boats to relocate to a better area to fish from the shore. We are not picky and would be thrilled to catch any fish, no matter how small. Thanks for any posts or PMs.

It has been awhile since I have been out there, but there is a cove near the boat ramp by the campground. We took the scouts there and caught some smallmouth and a few trout from the shore. I wish I knew more about what to use or some other places to go. If you have time you can always go down on the Green river and fish from shore also. Good luck and have fun.

Any rocky shoreline should hold smallmouth bass. Use small crank baits such as a Rapala Jointed Shad Rap, size JSR05, color brown crayfish with orange bottom. Cast these lures at about a 45 degree angle to the shore and reel back at a good pace.

Another method that works well is to use a smoke colored Senko rigged whacky style. Cast it out and let it sink while keeping as much slack out of the line as possible in order to feel the strike. This method can be deadly if done properly.

Look for large submerged rocks and boulders, these offer good hiding places for bass. Other good places are steep sloping shore lines that drop into the water. Bass like to cruse up and down them.

Go down the the river below the Dam at night. Use Rapala type lures. Cast into the slack water and hold on tight. At night the browns get very aggressive. The last time I tried this I only fished for 1/2 hours and caught ten fish. If your a fly fisherman stripping streamers works very well.

Hey wapiti....he's a "troutsniffer" not a basser!! Lol

But hey, i'm a die hard bass guy myself, i can talk that lingo all day!! ;-)

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

You're right, I would need a translator for some of that bass talk. I have spent a lot of time fly fishing rivers, but have little to no experience lake fishing. The scouts will be happy to catch any "dumbass", no matter how small.

I just returned from a trip to Flaming Gorge yesterday. We also stayed at the Mustang Campground. We mainly trolled for macs, only picking-up one in 2 days. The rainbow fishing was hot. To appease my boys we pulled into a side canyon and caught 7 in 25 minutes. People around the Mustang Campground were not having much success though. I will PM you the 2 side canyons were the trout action was fast.

-------------------------
www.sagebasin.com
-------------------------

The cove area behind mustang campground wraps around to an area called dutch john draw. Those coves are loaded with lots of smallies and are an easy walk with plenty of bass to catch. I always used plastic, worms, tubes, twisters in any colors that resemble a motor oil type color. If you're are familiar with a drop shot rig it would work well. Wacky style as mentioned by someone earlier would also work well. On the lake, any cove with a stream emptying into the lake can be fished with light tackle, split shot and a worm, with great success. Renting fishing boats at the marina could be an option if you wanted to troll or fish under the cart creek bridge. There are some great areas to troll not far from the marina. The lake is full of fish, as a kid, I used to work at the marina every summer. I would drift a night cralwer under the docks during the day and would always catch fish under the marina. Also, there are lots of little streams full of trout, with a bucket of worms you could catch lots of brookies. I actually lived in Dutch John as a kid and moved just after high school. I was there last summer and everything was pretty much the same as I had left it. We caught a bunch of browns on the river and had a great time. You can out fish the fly fishermen if you know what to use. If you have any specific questions please Pm me. Thanks

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom