Fishing On Dworshak Res

huntnrich

I'm Planning a Fishing trip to Dworshak Resevoir in early May, does anyone have any experience fishing Dworshak? Any info would be helpful.

Thanks

Sorry i can't help you,, but i am very intrested in some info there myself.. Think I'm going to skip my Alaska trip this year and head over to Dworshak for a couple'a weeks instead.
I hear the Smallmouth get mighty big in there.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-16-11 AT 03:38PM (MST)[p]The samll mouth do get very big in there.

I don't have a lot of experience fishing on Dworshak, but a lot of my buddies do.

couple of things guys. The Turkey hunting around the Resivor is crazy good. You will regret it if you don't bring some turkey hunting stuff.

There are "Blue Backs" or Kokani (sp) in there as well, (that is why the samllies get so big). It is actually what the place used to be known for. If you dont' know, fishing for them is different than what you might expect. They tend to be a little deeper, and trolling off a down rigger is usually how it is done, with flashers and smaller hooks. Again, I don't have a lot of experience doing this, but it is what I have heard.

If you are in to it, bring a "crab pot"; any or most of the creeks that drain into it, have scads of Crawdads. You can get a crawdad trap for a few bucks and a chunk of fish will get them into it.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-16-11 AT 09:40PM (MST)[p]Thanks springbear,, I talked to a guy that claims he caught the state record Smallie there a few years ago then broke his own record the next year,, i think hes full of BS bout that, but he did show me some pics of a few whoppers.
Not much into the Kokanee, but they are some good eats..

Been Turkey hunting there for several years, thinking i will take my boat this year and spend a little more time getting to know the place..
Good info on the Crawdads, i will take a minnow trap with me.

the dude was right he did break the record twice ! the gobbler hunting is very good. last year i was hunting in the same unit and i ran into a guy that lives in headquarters and fishes bass a lot. look in the back of coves and creeks the smallies should be spawning. soft plastics and the like.

I am not sure if the guy is full of it or not, but the record was broken by the same guy in two years or so.

Funny story about that. One of my good friends dad and brother are serious bass fishermen. They fish up there a lot. Anyway, prior to that guy breaking the record for the second time, My firend and his dad caught one that was bigger, got it weighed and started the procees to have it recognized... About a week later, that other guy caught the other one that broke his own record, and was bigger than the one my firends caught!

Thanks for the Info guys. I've heard the the lake is famous for it's Bass! Just can't wait for spring. Something green!!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom