Fishing Sierras

m48goat

Did anyone make it out to the sierras for opener?

I fished crowley,june lake, rush creek, convict and pleasant valley. We just went for the weekend and did alright. I wasn't expecting snow but it was fun and cold!!

Goat

Fished the American out of Colfax on the opener solo. Had a good time with some small rainbows and a real nice smallmouth. Can't believe I caught a smallmouth so early in summer. Proof the snowpack is dwindling.

A tip for you guys that live mid state and would like to catch a few nice brown trout, if having to work for them.

Find Salt Springs Res. on the map and figure how to get there by dawn. Hike over, across the dam to the far shore, cast and rip Rapala type lures along the bank off the rocky shore. Keep moving and your baits as close along to the bank as possible. The fish use the large rocks and submerged boulders as cover to ambush baitfish, no doubt about those strikes.

If you have a small boat and a stout friend, you can pack the boat down to the water and troll the shores or use it for access to waters not often fished toward the inlet in the back of the Res.

It's been years since i fished there and even then it was mostly during the Winters but my understanding is that little has changed there for the guy willing to put in the work it takes to catch these really nice fish. Good luck!!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

51601eff47b13bf45274724906802b95_zpsc6a69980.jpg

Proof the spring runoff is weak, the smallmouth are biting!

Joey, sounds like a good spot. somewhat far from me but might have to try it out. Love catching browns!

Goat

m48, You might put it on your calendar for a nice day in mid Winter. That's when we would go the most and we, my pard and i, caught 3 to 5 pound Browns every trip. Some Bigger!

Generally, the water level in mid Winter is way low. Still, plenty of water and maybe better fishing. It's a off the beaten path place for sure!

Larrbo and i went out on Lk Almanor last weekend. We didn't do that well, had to fight off a stiff wind. Larrbo did catch one nice land locked King Salmon. There was also a Bass Tourny going on.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

joey, wow! 3-5lb browns, now were talking!! I hate it when its windy and I'm trying to fish, no fun!! do you have any pictures?

Yes, lots, but there are only a dozen or so available to download from my puter. Most here have seen them all by now so i'll show a few of those not as often posted.

These three Salmon were from a spring outing on Almanor w/Larrbo spring before last
31092012_salmon_larrbo.jpg

Some nice ones...
9217almanor_browns.jpg

...and about the time you figure you finally have hooked and might land that long wanted 10 pounder, this is what you see at the end of your line. lol
4769fly_rod_carp_causway.jpg

Happy Fishing!!

Joey

Slayer, Yes, one of those would be great. We used to pack my buddies fiberglass boat down to the water over the rocks. There is a little place to back a boat trailer in the water but that can only be used when the dam is completely full which is never during the winter. Usually when we went, we had to pack boat, motor, and gear, down about 100 yards to the water and it's pretty rocky and steep. We both were pretty much in great shape back then but it was a job i can say that!

Once we found a bunch of fishing poles half buried in sand about a third of the way down. We figured that a boat had somehow turned over and lost all those rods. Some decent stuff, i still have a couple of those rods. lol

A kayak might be pretty good to fish there too. I don't know how easy it is to pack those things but has to be easier than a boat and motor! As i mentioned above, a guy can do good walking the opposite shore if he is willing to work for them.

Joey

LAST EDITED ON May-11-14 AT 10:18AM (MST)[p]>A tip for you guys
>that live mid state and
>would like to catch a
>few nice brown trout, if
>having to work for them.
>
>
>Find Salt Springs Res. on the
>map and figure how to
>get there by dawn. Hike
>over, across the dam to
>the far shore, cast and
>rip Rapala type lures along
>the bank off the rocky
>shore. Keep moving and your
>baits as close along to
>the bank as possible. The
>fish use the large rocks
>and submerged boulders as cover
>to ambush baitfish, no doubt
>about those strikes.
>
>If you have a small boat
>and a stout friend, you
>can pack the boat down
>to the water and troll
>the shores or use it
>for access to waters not
>often fished toward the inlet
>in the back of the
>Res.
>
>It's been years since i fished
>there and even then it
>was mostly during the Winters
>but my understanding is that
>little has changed there for
>the guy willing to put
>in the work it takes
>to catch these really nice
>fish. Good luck!!
>
>Joey
>
>
>"It's all about knowing what your
>firearms practical limitations are and
>combining that with your own
>personal limitations!"

Geez Joey...did you have to?

Moose

Every hunting season you miss is one you can not make up

Beware of the wind...it comes up quick and is very dangerous. Many boats have gone under. The wind is what keeps most boats off the lake.

Moose

Big Moose, This is a place my bud and i found on our own many years ago. Yes, i'll share to who i care to. If this had been a spot that you or anybody else was nice enough to share with me, the place would have remained your spot, their spot, and Mums the word.

That said, sorry if there might be a few more fishing this spot when you go there. I really doubt it though as you know how tuff it is to fish there. It's certainly not the kind of place, absolutely no resorts, gas, or facilities of any kind, most want to go to.

Joey

6X7, Good looking Brown and nice bunch of Salmon!!

Lake Shasta?

Joey

Nice!! How big are those Salmon? They look like a lot of the Almanor fish we get here, about 16-18". We love em, fight like crazy for their size and very good on the dinner table!

Joey

Biggest was 18 inch,that brown dosent look like much but it fought like a mule,I caught it on the salmon rig,a sling blade with a hoochie down 60 feet.

Nice!! Love days like that!!

Joey

Joey...yeah, I don't know what to think about all this info. I've been very tight lipped about this spot for years...oh well... One thing is that PG&E has put a fence across the dam now with a locked gate. Tough to get over to the other side now. Good luck to those who try it out.

I did not make it out for the opener but went the next week and caught this Brown near Truckee. Fun day back in my old stomping grounds.

3741last_weekend_on_the_river_5_3_2014.jpg

That, is one Beautiful fish!! Congrats!!

I wonder why PG&E would put up a locked Gate and Fence? Maybe the winds on the lake?

We had the wind come up a few times but it never got too bad for the boat we were in. I only went once when the water was all the way up where you could just put your car-top boat in the water. We just knew going there, it was going to be a job getting all our stuff way down to winter time lake level and then back up when time to go home.

There's a big Rock, small island, up toward the back end of SS Res. I was bank fishing, casting a lure out toward the island from shore. One of the biggest Baddest Brown trout i ever saw followed my lure all the way until i took it out of the water. He was EASY 10 pounds, EASY! lol

That fish flat took my breath away and then gave me the shakes. I don't get Buck fever as a rule but that trout never showed himself to me again, maybe because i was a wreck.lol

Joey

My old mans biggest brown last year 9lb ruined a good streak he had going 3 years in a row he cracked 10+lb with browns,one year he caught two 11s a hand full of 8s and many,many 4-6s.
9064image.jpg

6X7, Very Nice!!

I could tell you stories of the 10+ pounders that have straightened hooks, frayed my line, or just plain got away but i'll just say that it's happened more than a few time thru the years. For Rainbows n Browns, i'm still trying for my first 10+ bonafide.

This one i thought close but figured he'd come up short and he did... We put over a dozen fish 3+ lbs in the boat this day
2012butt_lake_brown_7.25_lbs.jpg

Joey

wow, all of you guys just slay them!! I need to fish with you guys, I'm clearly doing something wrong haha. make me want to get back out there n fish!

Goat

If you want a big brown trout fish any higher elevation lake that is stocked with Kokanee and don't be afraid to fish deep and in open water, the browns adapt to the food source fishing in 100 feet plus with the kokes at 45 get right at the bottoms of the schools or deeper.I am not sure what this one tipped the scale at as I don't have a scale and I put it back but it was deep under Kokanee .
7603image.jpg

6X7, Honker of a fish!!

i'm sure that's good advice, i mean you are right, but being i live right here with pretty good fishing from 3 nice big lakes and dozen of smaller ones nearby, i don't travel much to find bigger fish elsewhere where Kok's do habatat.

Almanor had Kok's back in the 60's, i remember seeing them run in the Hamaltin Branch. We caught a few too but even then, we pretty much sought out the trout. At one time, Almanor had the, i believe, State record Kokanee caught from it's waters.

We have the Bigger fish here. Larrbo and i just know that we're going to hook one or two monsters every time we go out but alas...we settle for the everyday 2-5 pounders we catch and say "next time". lol

Joey

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom