fishing the Roadless Bookcliffs

schoolhousegrizz

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Apr-13-15 AT 05:28PM (MST)[p]I'm going bacpacking in there in June. Have any of you ever fished in there? How was it? Can you keep the fish? Thanks for any help, I will check the regs as well. Also, do you guys know if there are usually any fire restrictions back in there? I have been in there once, but we did not fish or have a fire.

So I found out you can keep the fish, just have to obey the regs. No worries about having a fire either. Let me know if any of you have ever fished it, thanks.

I wouldn't have even guessed there were fish able to survive from year to year back in there...

I'd love to see anything you end up catching..!! :)

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

West Willow Creek from the headwaters to East Willow Creek is considered a "Blue Ribbon" fishery for Cuts. You can look up this info on the UDWR website, including suggested tactics to catch the fish. I've fished Willow Creek down lower and caught a few.

Smokepole

Thanks smokepole. Do you have any idea how far it is from the south entrance (sego canyon) to She Canyon? I was thinking around 7 miles, the biologist said he wasn't sure but figured about 4.5. I can't find a map with a scale on it.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-15-15 AT 08:25AM (MST)[p]From the UDWR website. Plus, the UDWR stocked some in She Canyon and Steer Gulch.

West Willow Creek
Directions

Take exit 182 for US-191 S (Crescent Junction and Moab) on I-70. Travel 0.3 miles and turn right onto Frontage Road. Travel 5.9 miles and turn left onto Sego Canyon Rd. Travel on Sego Canyon Road for 0.1 miles; keeping left at the fork. Travel for another 3.7 miles and turn right onto Sego Canyon Road. After a short distance, turn right onto Sego Canyon Road and travel 10.5 miles. Walk or ride, following Went Ridge trail north to Sego trailhead. Descend along Sego trail for approximately 2.5 miles until you reach West Willow creek.

Depth

Depth ranges from 6 inches in shallow riffles to 3 feet in deeper pools.

Width

Width varies from 5 to 12 feet.

Length

West Willow Creek is 12 miles in length.

Elevation

Elevation at headwater areas is 8,100 ft; descending to 6,800 ft at the confluence with East Willow Canyon Creek.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fishing information

Sport Species

Colorado River cutthroat trout

Last year, the fish in She Canyon from the junction of Bogart and She finally are looking big enough to catch. Haven't fished it in several years, but I did see enough fish to perk my interest once again. I don't know I would consider any of the Bookcliffs a blue ribbon fishery, but a fishable stream.

I Think you could Survive for a while back in there catching a few Dinners!

But Blue Ribbon Fishery?

JUDAS!

We laugh, we cry, we love
Go hard when the going's tough
Push back, come push and shove
Knock us down, we'll get back up again and again
We are Members of the Huntin Crowd!

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom