Fishlake Archery Cow Elk

With all the cow tags they gave out this year, I would dare say yes, but not for sure. The proc. confuses me.

No, it doesn't look like it. It says they fixed the error in the pdf so I downloaded it. It says that you can only shoot a spike during archery season but you can shoot a cow during the general season which to me means rifle season. It doesn't make any sense why you cannot shoot a cow during archery season but that is what it reads.

If I am wrong somebody please let me know cause I would like to hunt this area if I had that option.

Thanks

You are correct as long as you have a either sex archery tag as well and use a bow, or you can actually use it on the archery deer hunt or muzzeloader deer if you are in the same area and use the aproprite weapon for the season.

Good luck my elk hunt starts saturday in the wasatch i get a couple day jump on most!!

(4)(a) A person who obtains an antlerless elk permit and any of the permits listed in Subsection (b) may use the antlerless elk permit during the established season for the antlerless elk permit and during the established season for the permits listed in Subsection (b) provided:
(i) the permits are for the same area; and
(ii) the appropriate archery equipment is used if hunting with an archery permit; or
(iii) the appropriate muzzleloader equipment is used if hunting with a muzzleloader permit.
(b)(i) general archery deer;
(ii) general archery elk;
(iii) general muzzleloader deer;
(iv) general muzzleloader elk;
(v) limited entry archery deer;
(vi) limited entry archery elk;
(vii) limited entry muzzleloader deer; or
(viii) limited entry muzzleloader elk.

If you have drawn a cow tag, you can shoot your cow on the archery hunt if you have an archery tag, deer or elk, as well. If you have a muzzleloader deer tag, you can take your cow on this hunt also, provided you are hunting deer in the unit that your cow tag was issued for. The same goes for muzzleloader elk. You can't shoot the cow on any "general season/any weapon" hunt except the hunt specific for that cow tag. That being said, let's see how long it takes the DWR to wipe the Fishlake herd out again. I'm new to this site, and I'm sure there was plenty of talk about the slaughter years back, but it still amazes me that the fish and game won't take any responsibility in the outcome of the herd. The best answer I heard from one of the biologists is that most of the Fishlake cow herd had migrated to the Jacob's Lake area in AZ. Granted, that would have been good for AZ, but total BS. He was dead serious, too. I flat out told him he was wrong and if he wanted all he had to do was go and ask the local meat packers and they could tell them who's freezer the cow's had migrated to. Looking back, it's almost amusing at their infinite wisdom with all their computer models of what the herd numbers should be.

Now I'm confused. I have a otc Archery Elk-Hunters Choice-Archery tag. So can I shoot a cow or not on the Fishlake-Thousand Lakes Plateu?

A. General Archery Elk Hunt
R657-5-43
(1)(a) The general archery elk hunt is August 23, 2007?September 14, 2007, except as provided in Subsection (2).
(b) A person who has obtained a general archery elk permit may use archery equipment to take:
(i) one elk of hunter?s choice on a general any bull elk unit, except on elk CWMUs;
(ii) an antlerless elk or a spike bull elk on a general spike bull elk unit, except on elk CWMUs and the Plateau, Fishlake-Thousand Lake;
(iii) only a spike bull elk on the Plateau, Fishlake-Thousand Lake; or
(iv) one elk of hunter?s choice in the Wasatch Front and Uintah Basin

This is from the 2007 proclamation. Cows can't be shot on general archery on Fishlake unless you drew an antlerless tag.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-15-07 AT 12:52PM (MST)[p]hey thanks, that is how I read and understood it too.

As a game warden once told me, the proclamation is merely a guide, very little is actually law. Another reason they have such a hard time prosecuting most things that are obvious offenses. I thought you could shoot a cow again as well until I read this post and looked it up. I don't have a tag this year, at least not for the little ones. Finally got the golden ticket. Is there anywhere on the DWR website that clarifies this?

Take this for what it is worth. Straight from the DWR.

In the 2007 antlerless addendum it states:

Attention archery elk hunters: The Wildlife Board has approved hunters who obtain a general archery bull elk permit to take an antlerless elk or spike bull elk on the Plateau, Fishlake-Thousand Lake unit.

Thank you for contacting us!

The antlerless came out after the Bucks/Bulls, so it's official. I would simply suggest to anyone hunting the Fishlake/Thousand Lakes that plans on shooting a cow if given the chance have an Antlerless Addendum with them. Could solve some unnecessary confrontation with some of the locals that are still pissed about what happened a few years back. Just a suggestion....

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom