Fishlake early rifle elk

Fallfreak

I'm in disbelief. Drew the plateau/fishlake/1000 lakes early rifle elk tag in the random draw with 12pts. Planning starts now. Any helpful info appreciated. I live in TN so a trip prior to hunting wont happen. I'm 44 and in decent shape.

>I'm in disbelief. Drew the
>plateau/fishlake/1000 lakes early rifle elk
>tag in the random draw
>with 12pts. Planning starts now.
>Any helpful info appreciated. I
>live in TN so a
>trip prior to hunting wont
>happen. I'm 44 and
>in decent shape.

Congrats on the tag. I have not been there so I can't be of value for you as far as where to hunt. My 2 cents, take them for what they are worth is I would hire a guide so you can get the most of your hunt. It will likely be a long time before you draw another tag in Utah. Best of luck

Congrats on the tag!

Lots of guys on here know that unit pretty well.

I drew that tag back in '13. Wasn't quite as I expected as far as rut activity goes, but was able to take the caliber of bull I had hoped for.

I'll be running some cameras up there this year. If you have any questions I'll help where I can.

Congrats on the tag. I drew that area for archery and have been hunting that unit for many years. I will be scouting/using trail cams throughout the summer. I would be glad to help.

Congratulations it's a beautiful unit. You will enjoy hunting on that beautiful mountain. I wouldn't rush up there to look for elk just yet . It's been 90 plus already in the low country. But it's still snowing up there. Here is a picture from this weekend. Roads are still blocked and closed.
18503dd24b3f4be124f8a84a18272a9de61b8.jpeg

Is it still snowing up there Big John? Should be close! Almost to start again! lol..... But there are no elk on Fishlake so why lead the poor chap on... :)

>Is it still snowing up there
>Big John? Should
>be close! Almost to
>start again! lol.....
> But there are no
>elk on Fishlake so why
>lead the poor chap on...
> :)

Ha. Antlerrick has a since of humor. Guess I will cancel my trip since there are no elk on fishlake. ?

This is July 20th still some snow up on the mountain.
8797449e57a907f24a7f8287a33f7a03abe3.jpeg
As you can see from the picture. There are no elk up there. ?

Ahh Mt Terrill, I miss the good old days on that unit, before the pavement went from one end to the other and big bucks were crawling all over gooseberry. Those days are long gone. Elk hunting should be good though, hunt the fringes of the bigger cwmu?s that surround the unit and you'll do ok.

>Ahh Mt Terrill, I miss the
>good old days on that
>unit, before the pavement went
>from one end to the
>other and big bucks were
>crawling all over gooseberry. Those
>days are long gone. Elk
>hunting should be good though,
>hunt the fringes of the
>bigger cwmu?s that surround the
>unit and you'll do ok.
>

Yes stilling cuz that road every time I am on it ! It is still Atv friendly though. Until some speeder takes out someone. Those Cwmu?s are placed perfectly to make great escapes for the game animals. If your on Sevenmile/ Gooseberry road. You can get me on channel 2. But this year I will be in Idaho on the archery opener. On the rifle hunt I will be with my youth bull hunter on another unit. Generally I am up there able to help .

>Ahh Mt Terrill, I miss the
>good old days on that
>unit, before the pavement went
>from one end to the
>other and big bucks were
>crawling all over gooseberry. Those
>days are long gone. Elk
>hunting should be good though,
>hunt the fringes of the
>bigger cwmu?s that surround the
>unit and you'll do ok.
>

X2, I grew up archery hunting it and I'm with you that road really screwed it up...

Yep, a good sense of humor. My family has only taken a 305, a 322, a 354, a 377, and a 383 off there. We have done ok for no elk up there...lol.... it is an inside joke with the locals....
So plenty of elk...spend a lot of time checking out different areas as every year is a little different. And spend some evenings and nights driving around listening as the hunt gets closer.
Good luck!

All in good fun. Really looking forward to this trip. Elk/no elk, snow/no snow I can't wait to be trekking through the mountains in mid September in the great state of Utah. Good luck to the archers out there. If I remember correctly you all start chasing elk this Saturday.

That is the best way to look at it. Just enjoy the experience. If I have my moose by then, I will probably be up around the lake going after Macs about that time as they should be getting hungry again by then. I will keep you informed if I end up that way and maybe get to stop and visit with ya...

Good luck with the moose hunt. I would enjoy talking and hearing about your hunt if you are back. If I score early some fishing will be in the plans so if you have any pointers for that. Heck I would just like to see someone catch one of those big Macs!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom