Fitness Help..

Cass

Very Active Member
Well it seems as though my deer hunt is over for the year, I doubt i'm going to be making it back up to utah for the Extended archery hunt. So as of right now i am planning on going on a New Mexico Archery Speedgoat hunt, and a Northwest Territories Caribou hunt with my bow as well. I can't wait to try out this new bow come winter! I'm in good shape. 5,7 165 lbs. I work out every day, try to stay away from junk food. My questions is this. For you that have been on these hunts, Caribou especially, can you give me any kind of tips on what to train for. I am not taking a gun so this is going to be a strictly archery affiliated hunt. I just want to start training as soon as possible to get a feel of what i'm going to be going up against.
Thanks for the help

-Cass

I was on an unguided caribou hunt a few years ago in Alaska. Lots of tundra type country. Soft spongy ground. Walk, walk, walk. I would think sandy ground would be good training.

You sound like you are in pretty good shape already. I think you'll do fine. Try to find good rain gear that allows for plenty of freedom of movement.

Good luck!

Steve

Practice your bear wrestling.

JB

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
--Benjamin Franklin 1759

OH,NOW AIN'T THAT ROMANTIC???

B_F_E_ SENDS c'ASS A PRE-MENSTRAL!!!

HOW THE HELL ARE YA B_F_E_???

HOW THE HELL ARE YA c'ASS???

THE ONLY bobcat WONDERING WHY B_F_E_ IS SO DAMN SECRETIVE ABOUT THINGS,LOL!!!

I'm doing great bobcat, How are you doing man?
I've missed ya :)
How were you'r hunts this year?
Mine started out horrible but ended with a stalk i'll never forget!

-Cass

;-) ;-) ;-)

Don't be jealous Bessy, your still the only.........
He just has more info than you do bout them brass poles natives.

If you have to do significant time walking mossy spongy muskeg or tundra, it will do weird things to your legs, where you thought you were in good shape. Since you sink every step, it's a bit like walking uphill. Also, for your next step to clear the moss, you have to pick your foot up about 6-8" higher than normal. No biggie for 100 yards, but try it for several miles and tell me what happened to your hamstrings and hip flexors! Try to get these muscles in shape. Leg curls at the gym, knee raises (like ab work), maybe (shudder - this might sound gay) ankle weights walking uphill.

I have hunted the NWT a couple of times and it is not tough. If you hunt early in the season, you hunt the mountians and it is all rock. Later season you hunt the migration trails and they are not bad. I am going on 50 and had no problems. Should be fun with a bow.Good luck!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom